PDA

View Full Version : 09/14/13 - History made! Ingraham 1st female modified winner in 63 years at Wall

RGeeProductions
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Shawna Ingraham became the first ever female driver to win a Modified stock car main event in Wall Stadium’s 63 year history Saturday night. The Brick teenager had no easy drive of it as she was forced to hold off Howell’s Jimmy Blewett, who had been undefeated in every race he entered here this season, on at least five consecutive restarts.

In a race that was marred with cautions Ingraham used her third starting spot to rocket to the front quickly. After grabbing second from Toms River’s Derek Hopkinson she immediately went after Neptune’s Ryan Cottrell. After slipping into the lead a few laps later Ingraham stretched her advantage over point leader Chas Okerson of Freehold.

All the while Blewett was charging from the rear of the field after being involved in an early skirmish. By lap 14 Blewett was the runner-up. Through the final 26 laps and a series of restarts Ingraham more than held her ground to race on to the historic win. Blewett, Frank Boardwick of Union Beach, Okerson and Howell’s Eric Mauriello wrapped up the top five.

“I’m speechless,” Ingraham said at the moment she climbed from her No. 66. “This car was the best it has ever been tonight. When I saw Jimmy (Blewett) on the restarts I knew that I had to stay in from of him. If he got by me I would never get him back.

“I have to thank my family, the Barney family, our crew and especially my grandfather for this. It is a dream come true.”

Ingraham’s grandfather was long time racing supporter Don Ling who passed away in 2012.

Zack Alspach of Willingboro won the non-stop 30-lapper for the Sportsman cars holding off point leader Kevin Eyres of Colts Neck and his brother Trevor Alspach, also of Willingboro. Manasquan’s Kenny Van Wickle and Jason Caruso of Howell were fourth and fifth.

Trevor Alspach enjoyed his ninth win of the year in the Legend Cars 25-lapper over Howell’s Robert French, his brother Zack Alspach, Joe McGrath of Middletown and Flemington’s Bobby Baltera.

Ronnie Mullen of Brick stretched his point lead by a few markers in winning the 25-lap main event for the Factory Stocks. Mullen’s closest point race competitor, Mancester’s Scott Riggleman, was second in the event.

James Meyers of Port Republic grabbed his sixth win of the year in the 25-lapper for the 4 Cylinder Cars grabbing the lead from Beachwood’s Todd Pilla in the final laps.

This Saturday night (Sept. 21) the Modified stock cars return for a 40-lap main event. Also on the speedway the Sportsman cars, Factory Stocks, Limited Late Models, 4 Cylinders and the visiting TQ Midgets are also set for action. Qualifying is slated for 6 p.m. and main event action is set for 7:00 p.m. Grandstand seating opens at 5 p.m.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on most Saturdays and Sundays during the summer months. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track’s email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedwayracing.com.

Jeff Gravatt