PDA

View Full Version : Restart Rule

BigMac
09-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Now that the Cup series has changed their restart rule will we see a change at the regional series level? WMT restarts have been a major source of heartburn in recent years. Seems like Nascar likes the WMT rules to mirror the Cup series.

Goldy
09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Heartburn for sure Mac.. I still don't know why Edwards wasn't penalized for jumping the restart.. P1 had old tires and spun them?? Gezzz, I swear that's happend before.. I haven't even read the new rule but I hope it's something that makes sense.. something like P1 brings the field around to the line in turn 4 and if P1 gets beat to the stripe, so be it.. let the starter waive off the start if it's a botched start.. please, as long as the new rule doen't say "if the driver fails to restart the race at 100% of their ability"... :confused:

JWfor8x
09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Goldy, I think you are right. It's like what has been done at local tracks for years. Fair and logical so I guess that the heartburn will continue for a while longer. I hope I'm wrong though as maybe the negative publicity that NASCAR got from Richmond will spark some positive changes for all of their touring series. I hope so anyway.

Heartburn for sure Mac.. I still don't know why Edwards wasn't penalized for jumping the restart.. P1 had old tires and spun them?? Gezzz, I swear that's happend before.. I haven't even read the new rule but I hope it's something that makes sense.. something like P1 brings the field around to the line in turn 4 and if P1 gets beat to the stripe, so be it.. let the starter waive off the start if it's a botched start.. please, as long as the new rule doen't say "if the driver fails to restart the race at 100% of their ability"... :confused:

Sicklajoie
09-20-2013, 03:49 PM
The way the new rule is is the way it should've been all along, although I can do without that restart box stuff.

On a restart, the leader must go first in the box, but after that the 2nd place driver can beat the leader to the line.

I still don't get where people say Edwards jumped the start. He didn't. Menard obviously went first, but because he couldn't get going with just new right sides, Edwards beat him to the line. But Menard did go first.

I'm just glad common sense is finally prevailing here. Once the flag drops, the race starts. If the leader can't get going because of buzzing his tires, missing a shift, or playing games, tough crap, that's racing.