PDA

View Full Version : koma unwind modified series

limodmaniac
02-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Found this on facebook

"Had another positive meeting today at Bib's Downtown. Looking forward to the 2014 season. The tentative schedule is below. The remaining dated (TBA's) will be filled while in Daytona the week of the 17th at the Promoters Workshops.
Also meeting with Insurance representatives to try to work out the most affordable package for Owners, Drivers and Crew Members.

The KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Tour is rapidly taking shape. Web-site should go live Monday.

2014 KOMA UNWIND MODIFIED MADNESS TOUR SCHEDULE
SOUTHERN MODIFIED RACE TOUR
DATE DAY TRACK LOCATION

3/22/14 SATURDAY HICKORY MOTOR SPEEDWAY HICKORY, NC

5/25/14 SUNDAY TBA

6/13/14 FRIDAY ACE SPEEDWAY ALTAMAHAW, NC

6/20 or 6/28 FRIDAY TBA

7/5/14 SATURDAY HICKORY MOTOR SPEEDWAY HICKORY, NC

7/25/14 FRIDAY TBA

8/15/14 FRIDAY ANDERSON MOTOR SPEEDWAY ANDERSON, SC

9/1/14 MONDAY ACE SPEEDWAY ALTAMAHAW, NC

10/11/14 SATURDAY ORANGE COUNTY SPEEDWAY ROUGEMONT, NC

10/25/14 SATURDAY TBA

11/15 or 11/22 SATURDAY TBA

UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED ALL RACES ARE 125 GREEN FLAG LAPS
SCHEDULE IS TENTATIVE AND MAY CHANGE"

RGeeProductions
02-08-2014, 10:00 PM
There has been a new southern tour in the works for awhile and when all is definitive the news will be on the front page of TCH.

NC Mudcat
03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
https://www.facebook.com/KOMAUNWINDMODIFIEDMADNESSSERIES

Racer1_NC
03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Here we go again......

NC Mudcat
03-04-2014, 08:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

NC Mudcat
03-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Talked to a guy yesterday that races a mod at Ace Speedway; their cars there are a cross somewhere between a tour mod and a IMCA mod, if I understand correctly. Brad Allen, promoter at Ace, is a board member of this new series, presumably to draw a few Ace guys to tour, but the cost will be too high for them, IMO. I can't imagine this tour drawing a large crowd, as a lot of the Bowman Gray regulars don't tour. Tim Brown is not even entered at Caraway for the first southern tour race. Randy Myers is the director of the new series, and I give him credit; he has tried everything for touring mods and weekly mods. promoting Friendship speedway after putting down asphalt some years back (ruined a great dirt track, by the way!) and he will give it a go, but I think the odds are against them. I truly hope it works, but Hickory will be make or break for them.

NC Mudcat
03-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Per KOMA facebook page:

$2900 to Win ! $1950 2nd $1325 3rd $1225 4th $1100 5th
And $475 to start !

RGeeProductions
03-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I have contacted, well tried to contact them, via Facebook AND their website to get on their PR list to help promote and no one responds.

Racer1_NC
03-16-2014, 06:11 PM
I have contacted, well tried to contact them, via Facebook AND their website to get on their PR list to help promote and no one responds.

An unresponsive PR dept.....not exactly what a new series needs......

NC Mudcat
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I guess I am their new PR department. :-) Scary thought!

HISTORIC HICKORY MOTOR SPEEDWAY TO HOST INAUGURAL
“KOMA UNWIND MODIFIED MADNESS SERIES” EVENT

(King, NC): It is with great pleasure the Southern Modified Race Tour announces the inaugural “KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series” event will take place on Saturday, March 22 at the historic Hickory Motor Speedway. The “kickoff” event for the new series is the first of two races set for HMS in 2014. The series will return to one of the longest running tracks in the South again on July 5th for a big Independence Day weekend show.

“We couldn’t be happier to announce HMS as the first track on the new SMRT schedule” said series Director, Randy Myers. “Hickory Motor Speedway has a long and storied history with the Modifieds going back to the days of Junior Johnson, Ned Jarrett and the Myers Brothers, Billy and Bobby. Harry Gant, Bobby Allison, Hank Thomas and many more great racers drove the Modifieds back in the day and more recently the old SMART Modified tour competed there. This series mission is to create close and hard competition and to build the fan base for the Modifieds back to where it was a few years ago. With that in mind, we wanted to kick this season off “close-to-home” for the Modifieds. Many of the drivers competing in the “KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series” will also race at another historic track in the area. Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem hosts the Modifieds every Saturday from late April through mid-August and events like this give their fans a chance to see them at other area tracks, Myers said. The “Relaxation Revoluation 125” will be the feature division and the Southeast Super Trucks and the East Coast Flathead Ford Racing Association will be the support series.

Hickory Motor Speedway General Manager, Kevin Piercy stated, “The fans got a taste of the Southern Modifieds at the CARS X-1R ProCup Series race last year and we are excited to bring them back in 2014”.

Racing action for the “KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series” kicks off in just a few weeks so make plans to see the inaugural Southern Modified Race Tour event on March 22 at Hickory Motor Speedway.

For more information on this event and the “KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series”, check us out at www.southernmodtour.com, Facebook and Twitter or www.hickorymotorspeedway.com.

RGeeProductions
03-17-2014, 10:12 AM
David, you should frequent the front page here. I had this story up for over a week....
http://www.thechromehorn.com/news/2014/smrt/news030914a.htm
And the series info is on the left with all the other tour series' on the front page here.

NC Mudcat
03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
I know Richie. Not everyone knows to look under SMRT when looking for KOMA. Sorry, just trying to help. Won't happen again.

RGeeProductions
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
I know Richie. Not everyone knows to look under SMRT when looking for KOMA. Sorry, just trying to help. Won't happen again.

I meant the story was posted on the front page.
Additional info is posted under the side area.
And no problem with posting, just have seen occasional PR's posted in the forum when they have been already posted on the webpage. It seems some come here but never view the webpage and that is where the news is!
Oh, and it is listed under SMRT only because that is the sanctioning body.
I am going to change it to SMRT KOMA, that may help.

CASHCAD45
03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I see on KOMA's facebook pagethey announced Jeremy Mayfield will be warming up a mod. Don't know if I'd be bragging about that. This series seems to get sketchier by the minute.

Gary66
03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I believe KOMA was Jeremy's sponsor on his team when he got into trouble with Nascar, probably has an association there. About all they need is 15 mods, anything more is a bonus, and I believe they will get that. At least 75 percent of the tour is not at one track *cough* Caraway*cough*. Tim Brown is going to run all the races in the 02 car. I plan on going to Hickory .

CASHCAD45
03-20-2014, 01:49 PM
I believe KOMA was Jeremy's sponsor on his team when he got into trouble with Nascar, probably has an association there. About all they need is 15 mods, anything more is a bonus, and I believe they will get that. At least 75 percent of the tour is not at one track *cough* Caraway*cough*. Tim Brown is going to run all the races in the 02 car. I plan on going to Hickory .

Your math is a little off 6 out of 15 is closer to 40% than 75,and I'd rather race at Caraway than TBA(hate that place).:) ps its 6 of 17 if you count the 2 nonpoint shows.

Gary66
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
The 75 percent I referred to was intended as sarcasm, not fact.

Racer1_NC
03-21-2014, 09:59 PM
So it looks like Jeremy Mayfield will be competing in this event. Tyler Walker can't be far behind. 2732

Racer1_NC
03-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Well it's come and gone. With apologies to Abbott and Costello....."Who's on first?".

CASHCAD45
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Well it's come and gone. With apologies to Abbott and Costello....."Who's on first?".

Didn't follow it myself but my wife(a veteran race observer)did off of Spped51 and said it sounded like a real Dog & Pony show.These kind of houligan races are usually have fields that are short on quality equiptment, talent and the offiating is incapable of keeping it all together. Say what you want but most of tfe time the WSMT buts on a classy decently run show.

RGeeProductions
03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Didn't follow it myself but my wife(a veteran race observer)did off of Spped51 and said it sounded like a real Dog & Pony show.These kind of houligan races are usually have fields that are short on quality equiptment, talent and the offiating is incapable of keeping it all together. Say what you want but most of tfe time the WSMT buts on a classy decently run show.

Not sure which race she was following but there was great equipment, much talent, many changes of the lead, and only a misunderstanding on how, when and what needs, or doesn't need to be done for a mandatory pit stop. From all seen and read, they put on a great show.

Racer1_NC
03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure what I can say here and stay within the guidelines set forth by the admins...but I will say that from what I could tell, the "misunderstanding" affected the final outcome of the race. That to me is less than acceptable. I'll leave it at that.

NC Mudcat
03-23-2014, 06:58 PM
I would venture to say that Randy Myers could not have changed the results whether the rules warranted it or not. Can you imagine a Myers making a change in the final running order, allowing a Myers to win and another Myers to run second? I think his hands were tied here, and you can bet there will be a clarification before the next race.

RGeeProductions
03-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure if you follow Facebook Bill, but Randy posted a rather lengthy speech about the event. I have to give him credit for what he posted.
And you may post any feelings you want here. Just refrain from calling people a$$holes, POS', etc or other explicit names. You have a right to your opinion.

Racer1_NC
03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Not sure if you follow Facebook Bill, but Randy posted a rather lengthy speech about the event.
Not a Facebook person...unless it's posted on a racing site such as this one, I'll never see it.

And you may post any feelings you want here. Just refrain from calling people a$$holes, POS', etc or other explicit names. You have a right to your opinion.
Gotcha....not a problem to stick to those guidelines.

Racer1_NC
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
I would venture to say that Randy Myers could not have changed the results whether the rules warranted it or not. Can you imagine a Myers making a change in the final running order, allowing a Myers to win and another Myers to run second?
That's one issue that will rise up again and again. Calls such as those HAVE to be made and bias or not, it's the appearance of such that to many make it difficult to have faith that the proper calls will be made.

NC Mudcat
05-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Sounds like problems again this past weekend. This time there were 3 drivers that had their picture made in victory lane. I hope this all works out and the series can thrive.

Remember the good old days when there were no "scoring loops" to cause problems? Each car had its own scorer and everything seemed to work well. We always seemed to know who won when the checkered flag fell. At least of there was a problem, there was no social media, so we never knew about the scandal.

fastbackss
05-29-2014, 02:05 PM
yowzers - made me go look it up. so others don't have to, here are two posts from their facebook page.

Randy Myers I will attempt to clarify the scoring issue at Coastal Plains.

I know everyone seems to think transponders are the saving grace for scoring. While they are usually better, occasionally the folks operating the system make mistakes. Professional Motorsports Scoring Solutions is the official scorer for the KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series and many other series including ARCA. They provide the computer equipment and transponders for the cars. They connect to a loop in the track provided by the track. At some tracks, the scoring loop does not extend across pit road. That is the case at Coastal Plains Raceway and many others. When this happens, the cars must be manually inserted into the program as they cross the extended start/finish line in through the pits. PMSS had one person there and they recruited someone from the track staff to note the cars pitting, what lap they pitted on, etc.. The young lady apparently did not understand exactly what she was supposed to do and failed to make those notes thus the lady from PMSS had to do the manual inserts without any help. I suspected as the race neared completion, the scoring may be off with about five laps to go but allowed the race to run its course and review the scoring after the event. If we had gone caution at that time the only car on the lead lap was the #80 since he was the only car who had not pitted at that time. Caution then would have frozen the field with everyone else down at least one lap and in some cases multiple laps down to the leader. At that point the scoreboard showed the #1 as the leader and we had no other option but to show him the white and then the checkered flag. I immediately radioed that the finish was unofficial as there were multiple teams immediately wanting to recheck the scoring.

While the Legend Cars completed their second 25 lapper, we began working to correct the mistakes made during the event. At the end of the Legend Car event there was a mad rush on the tower from representatives of the 1, 4, 80, 79, 43, 9 and maybe one other car. Needless to say all voiced their opinions long and loud and rightfully so to the extent that they deserved better scoring. After all had their say, I asked everyone to calmly watch as we reviewed the scoring. We also had the help of video footage provided by the #80. I will try to explain the process used. First we removed ALL manual inserts from the scoring. Then we started with the first pit stop (02) and worked through every car affected in the unofficial rundown. We re-inserted one manual crossing for each car with the aid of the video and a dozen eyes looking over my shoulder agreed with each insertion. We also used the car’s last on-track crossing before they pitted and the next on-track crossing after their stop to determine how much time each car actually took on their pit stops. After all the manual inserts were made and those times factored in, the final rundown was posted. While some were not too happy, everyone was in agreement with the final order. I appreciate their patience and especially their calm demeanor while we worked through the process of the scoring re-check. PMSS was advised, in the presence of all the teams concerned, that they must be prepared to bring enough trained people with them to the next event. Hopefully two races in a row with the same pit road loop issues is enough to eliminate any future scoring problems. Things like this aren’t fair to the teams who work hard on their stuff, the owners who spend big money on their cars and the fans who shell out their hard-earned cash to see a professionally run event. They all deserve better as does Brian Weber, the CEO of BeBevCo, Inc., the parent company for the KOMA Unwind Relaxation Beverage brand. He is committed to making this series a place where teams want to race.

I hope I explained the re-check process in a way that everyone can understand. I know fans have their favorite driver and some will never accept this explanation but as I said, some were not happy with the final rundown, but all were in agreement with the final finishing order. The final finish order is: 1 – 43 – David Calabreese - 125
2 – 72 – Spencer Davis - 125
3 – 1 – Burt Myers - 125
4 – 4 – Jason Myers - 125
5 – 80 – Mike Speeney - 125
6 – 9 – Bobby Sheffield - 125
7 – 02 – Tim Brown - 124
8 – 22L – Jimmy Wallace - 123
9 – J2 – Jeremy Mayfield - 123
10 – 10 – Johnny Sutton - 123
11 – 82 – Cale Gale - 122

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry for the delayed response, As I returned home from the event i had to immediately travel out of state on business.
I have a few comments,
1) Congratulations to David Calabreese for his first WIN, I told him after the event , we could take his team photo with the Trophy win or not so he would not be denied that moment if the final out come fell his way. He graciously said he would rather not but wait on a REAL outcome. I respect the Hell out of him for that ! I committed I and the KOMA Unwind team would stay all night if need be ,,Because we are family and we get it! I would never in a million years be part in stealing that special moment from anyone. Period

2) I am thankful for all of the drivers who continue to join us during these infant stages of building a Modified racing series we proudly will put our name on for years to come.I spoke with every competitor during this event and many of them afterward.

3) We had a great event bring many to the racetrack for the first time ever , We as a brand gave away thousands of our baby KOMA Unwind Relaxation Drink and continue to introduce our product and our series to race fans who may have never seen a modified race car... All in all the fans loved this event with the exception of the delayed out come.

4) I was in the control booth myself with Daisy Ramirez our COO . Obviously we were excited to to see Jeremy out front for a while. As we back him ,Our objective is safe ,competitive and exciting racing first! BRAND BRAND BRAND...
( AND yes as a Racer i was yelling to myself , SLOW HIS ASS down he is burning up his tires! He will never close the deal-- But what do I know)
The point I want to make is this , LOVE HIM or HATE him , Randy Myers , was immediately upset that during the last 10 or 15 laps he saw a Hickory debacle finish coming up. The scoring loop issue couple with the rate the pit stops occurred overwhelmed the person in scoring and he knew it and he was not a happy camper...
Something to the effect of 'You are not going to throw me under the bus again , Minus an adjective or two.
I would not want his job, But he loves it enough to endure the abuse he has taken from competitors who are upset ..

5) In closing , I have raced EVERYTHING from NASCAR North , Modified, Nationwide, Camping World Trucks , ASA, UARA, and a few others ..For over 40 years there was no scoring loop....
I am committed to this NEVER happening again, If a track does not have a pit road scoring loop , We will help them install it. If they dont we will use scorers for each car , If that doesn't happen we will not even have an event. MY SKIN is in this game I expect the competitors , Tracks , and Scoring company to put theirs in as well.

Thank You
Brian Weber
CEO
Bebida Beverage Company

Racer1_NC
05-31-2014, 01:14 AM
From what I've seen Weber and KOMA really do want to make something out of this "tour". Most of the time if you throw enough money at something it can't help but succeed......I'm sure they hope that's the case here. That being said, 11 cars and more mea culpas isn't exactly a home run for your second event. Maybe the event at Ace on 6-13 will be the turning point.

Remember the good old days when there were no "scoring loops" to cause problems? Each car had its own scorer and everything seemed to work well. We always seemed to know who won when the checkered flag fell. At least of there was a problem, there was no social media, so we never knew about the scandal.
Fans in the stands didn't...those in the pits knew.

Oh....problems that crop up with procedures, processes or systems does not constitute being thrown under a bus by others...just saying.