PDA

View Full Version : 02/16/14 - NEPA Race Car Show was a big hit at Laurel Mall

RGeeProductions
02-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Despite three big snow storms in a week’s time, the 1st Annual NEPA Race Car Show held at the Laurel Mall in West Hazleton was deemed an unqualified success as racers and race fans flocked to the mall throughout the week long affair.

Race car drivers showed they are very dedicated to the sport, very passionate about the sport and most just flat out crazy about the sport as the weather never deterred them from getting their cars into the show while in the midst of the worst winter in years.

Despite amazing odds, one by one race teams trudged their way inside the mall while heavy snow fell and the parking lot was full of the white stuff. And when all was said and done the spacious shopping center was transformed with a spectacular display of eye-catching race cars that not only attracted many race hungry fans, it also got the attention of the many none racers that frequent the mall, which was part of the focus of the show.

45 total cars, a record number for the Laurel Mall with an event such as this, where parked inside. Well over 50 had signed up but the weather leading up to move-in day last Sunday played havoc with some teams in making the haul.

The mainstream of cars consisted of the area’s stockers that compete at the asphalt short tracks of Mahoning Valley Speedway and Evergreen Raceway Park and all had classy mounts to boot. The exhibit, however, also drew a diverse group of others from all over northeast Pennsylvania which gave emphasis to additional classes and groups and made it a well-rounded event.

Rich Tobias, well-known driver and car builder, had to scrap his trip from Lebanon last Sunday as I-81 was gridlocked from the snow storm but just like his winning ways as a racer, he simply regrouped and came to the mall the next morning. His SpeedSTR car, piloted by popular Frank Cozze, was next to a pair of Stage 1 Modifieds owned by Richie and Joel Smith of Smith Fabrications along with Gavin Santee’s Slingshot car that was there to help promote the “Mid-Summer Thunder! Where Dirt Stars Meet The Asphalt” show slated for Sunday, June 29 at Mahoning Valley Speedway.

Selinsgrove Speedway Sprint car standout Duane Mausteller had his Harry’s U-Pull It Auto Parts No. 21 at center court.

Hazleton’s Steve Fox, lead instructor for the Stock Car Racing Experience at Pocono Raceway, had both a school car as well as his No. 3 Universe Racing Team Dodge Charger ARCA car in the mall.

The Weatherly Hillclimb Association, which plays host to the popular Weatherly Hillclimb and is also part of the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association that includes nearby Giant’s Despair in Wilkes-Barre Township, had a nice showing including the record-setting Subaru of Al Corazza and the MG Midget of Jim Baron.

Road racers from the SCCA got to show off some sleek open cockpit road cars that had plenty of onlookers. Freeland’s Hugh Maloney and Matt Kujat Sr. had their Formula Vs exhibited while veteran wheel-twister Sam Ryan of White Haven grabbed plenty of attention with his Formula Mazda.

Pocono Raceway had their GoBowling.com Camaro Pace Car in the show. Also, from Fairway Motors in Hazle Township there was a 2014 Corvette Stingray that had everyone stopping to look.

“This show was a great way to promote local and regional racing as well as all of our sponsors. I think for both the stock car guys and the road racers it really exposed everything it was meant to in terms of how much racing there is in the Hazleton area and all of northeast Pennsylvania,” said Ryan, who races on all the Nation’s top road circuits including Pocono Raceway and Watkins Glen.

“The only track I get to race locally is Pocono so this show helped boast our local sponsors while at the same time getting people interested in a different style of racing. This mall show brought a great awareness to the racing around here.”

Up and coming racers also shared in the spotlight as ¼-midgets and go-karts took in the week-long activities.

Randy Ahner Jr., a multi-time Street Stock champion from Palmerton, brought his 4-year old son Greyson’s car to the mall. For Ahner, preparing for the show was a bonding experience for him and his son.

“It’s been pretty cool just leading up to the show because we have had so much one on one time together building the car. To have him involved in what I’ve been doing for years was great,” said Ahner.

“He (Greyson) doesn’t fully understand the whole process but when we brought the car in on Sunday night and I pushed him through the mall with it he had a smile on from ear-to-ear and when we were leaving he said, ‘Daddy I’m so proud that my car is in there with all the real race cars.’

“It’s a big accomplishment for us because I never had any of my cars in a show. When I saw the NEPA Race Car Show posted I thought it was a great opportunity for people to get a better knowledge on what ¼-midget racing is all about. It helps to get more fans involved.”

Travis Fisher of Fern Glen won the Best Appearing Car award sponsored by Franzosa Trucking. His sleek No. 8 Late Model, which will see action at a variety regional paved race tracks, was unveiled at the mall for the first time.

Courtney Harrison, host of Inside Track on ABC affiliate WNEP-TV 16 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and covers all racing action throughout northeast Pennsylvania, was the official judge for the Best Appearing Car award.

Although weather played a factor, the show was still well received and event organizer Dino Oberto has the wheels in motion to grow the show for next year and beyond.

“There are a lot of race related shows that go on in other areas like Reading, Philadelphia, Harrisburg and New York,” said Ryan.

“But there has always been a dead spot between them and this region and I think this show was a hit for what was missing around here and there is great potential I see for it to grow.”

Dino Oberto