PDA

View Full Version : 03/21/14 - Szegedy Teaming With Gunsmoke Stables Team For Stafford Speedway's SK 5k

RGeeProductions
03-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Todd Szegedy Teaming With Steve Greer's Gunsmoke Stables Team For Stafford Speedway's SK 5k Presented By Napa

The Inaugural SK 5k Presented by NAPA Auto Parts promises to be the biggest SK Modified® race the track has ever hosted and the entry list for the race just added former NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion Todd Szegedy. Szegedy will team up with Steve Greer's Gunsmoke Stables team to pilot its #19 entry as a team car to Ryan Preece. While Preece will be driving the team's #2 entry, Szegedy will drive the same car that Woody Pitkat drove as the #27 last season to the SK Modified® track championship.

"When the opportunity came up for us to have a second car in the SK 5k race, Todd's name was at the top of our list. This deal all came together in the last couple of weeks and we decided to bring a second car to help support Stafford and this new race is going to be a huge race with a lot of talent in the field. We're all very excited to have Todd in the car that Woody drove for us last season with Earl Pelletier as the crew chief."

"I'm really looking forward to coming back to Stafford since that's where I started my career with the SK's," said Szegedy. "It's pretty exciting for me to know that I'm with a good team and I'll have a shot to win the race. I think the race is going to be a lot of fun and the SK's have a lot of talented drivers in the field so I'm going to have my work cut out for me for sure."

Since the Szegedy/Greer combination is only planned for a one-race outing at the SK 5k Presented by NAPA Auto Parts, Szegedy will most likely have to work his way through traffic as the handicapping system used to qualify the cars will place Szegedy towards the rear of the starting grid. But coming through the field is not a burden for Szegedy, who on July 6, 2001 qualified for the 50-lap SK Modified® feature through the 21 Means 21 qualifying race and then went on to take the checkered flag in the feature. As Szegedy tells it, he prefers starting out back.

"I won't mind being in the back one bit," said Szegedy. "I've won there from the back before. I actually enjoy starting in the back. When you're racing for points, you certainly want to start up front as starting in the back can be nerve-racking since you're more likely to get into trouble. But when you're doing a one-race deal and points don't matter and having fun does matter, I would start in the back every single race. When I raced go-karts, I always started in the back. I think it makes you a better driver and not to mention it's a lot of fun racing through the pack. I think that most drivers would probably say the same thing."

Szegedy began his modified career at Stafford in 1997 and he ran in the SK Modified® division through the 2001 season before moving on to Whelen Modified Tour competition. Szegedy has 2 career SK Modified® feature wins and he has 4 career NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour wins at Stafford to go along with his NWMT championship 2003. Being teamed up with Greer's Gunsmoke Stables team has Szegedy looking to add to his career win total at the Connecticut half-mile track.

"A top-5 finish would be great, but most importantly the ultimate goal is for Ryan [Preece] and myself to finish 1-2 for Steve," said Szegedy. "Whether it's me winning and Ryan coming second, or Ryan winning and me finishing second, I'd be happy either way."

While Szegedy only has the SK 5k on his SK Modified® schedule for the 2014 season, he says he would be open to competing full-time in the division.

"If Steve or someone else were to say to me 'let's run some more races', I wouldn't say no," said Szegedy. "If I have a Friday night that doesn't conflict with the MRS or if I'm doing any Tour racing, I would definitely jump into a car."

Stafford fans will get to see Szegedy in action at least three more times during the 2014 season as Szegedy will be taking over the driving duties of the #85 Modified Racing Series car that is owned by Kevin Stuart and was formerly driven by Louie Mechalides. Szegedy will be at Stafford on June 20 for the Town Fair Tire 80, July 18 for the Lincoln Tech 80, and August 29 for the MRS 80.

"I think it's going to be a really good season for us," said Szegedy. "They have an established team put together, Bear [Calicchio] is going to be helping the team out, Mike Pettit is doing the engines and he builds really good steel headed engines, and we have Dunleavy Truck & Trailer Repair as our sponsor. They have a new Troyer chassis and I'll be doing more racing with the MRS than I have the past couple of years on the Tour. I'm really looking forward to the season and the ultimate goal is to win a championship. The MRS has some real good drivers and I'm hoping to have some good runs, get some wins, and let the chips fall where they may with the points."

The Inaugural SK 5k Presented by NAPA Auto Parts is scheduled for Friday, July 4. Tickets for this blockbuster event are priced at $27.50 for adult general admission tickets, $5.00 for children ages 6-14, and all kids age 5 and under are admitted free of charge when accompanied by an adult. Reserved seating is priced at $30.00 for all ages. All ticket prices include 10% CT Admission Tax. As always, Stafford Motor Speedway offers free parking with overnight parking available.

For more information about the Inaugural SK 5k Presented by NAPA Auto Parts, contact the Stafford Motor Speedway track office at 860-684-2783 or visit us on the web at www.staffordspeedway.com.

Scott Running