PDA

View Full Version : 04/30/14 - Rule Change for Twin 25s at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
04-30-2014, 10:44 AM
A new rule change for the 2014 season could shake things up in the Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series, affecting the battle for the champion as well as turning every lap of racing into a nail-biter.

A new points system will be in place for the twin 25-lap Modified races. Instead of points being earned for each race, points will now be awarded based on the average finish of the two races.

The new rule will make each position in the twin 25s much more crucial. Under the previous system, an improvement of one position would mean an improvement of one point. 13th place would earn one more point than 14th, eighth would earn one more point than
seventh.

But under the new points system, gaining one position on the track would change your average finish - and depending on your competitors, it could earn you several points. Moving from 12th to 11th would slightly increase your average finish, and that could be
enough to take you from the 10th highest average finish to the 6th highest average finish. In that case, that one position gain earned you an extra eight points.

It may sound like a subtle change, but how could this affect competition and the points battle? “What the rule is intended for is to prevent laying back in the second race,” said Randy Butner. “A driver’s going to have to get up on the wheel and run hard in the second race.

Whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing, I believe I’m going to reserve judgment until we go through it a couple times to see how it works.”

Defending Modified Champion Burt Myers thinks the new system really puts the pressure on competitors. “I know that most of the time on twin 25s - if you can get a wash with the guy you’re battling with in the points, then you’ve had a good night. So at least this way, good or bad, you have an opportunity to either gain or lose points. You’ll definitely see some harder racing simply because guys won’t be content to sit there,” said Myers.

Butner feels that his consistent performance will be rewarded with the new points scheme. “I think it will benefit me because normally I’m at around fourth or fifth place - I’m a fourth or fifth place car. If I could average those finish positions, I could actually come out of
there with more points than someone who won the first one and finished 18th in the second race,” said Butner. “I could see it benefitting me, but it’s like medicine - sometimes there are unintended side effects.”

But while drivers stand to gain a great deal of points by being aggressive in the second race, a slip in the second race will now have even more disastrous effects.

“Gain as much as you can, but you’ve got to be careful while you’re doing it,” said Lee Jeffreys. “You’ve really got to be careful. If you were to have a wreck and fall out of the second race, it’s really going to hurt you. I think some are going to be more cautious because you
sure don’t want to get knocked out of it and fall to the rear - and there you are.”

Fans will get their first taste of the new rule change this Saturday – it’s Modified twin 25s on $2 Ladies’ Night. All women get in for only two bucks to see racing for the Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stock, and Stadium Stock Divisions. And there will be the sliding
thrills of the always wild 109 U-Pull-It Skid Race.

Gates open at 6:00 for practice, qualifying begins at 7:10, and the first race begins at 8:00 PM – this Saturday night. Ticket prices, directions, and more information can be found online at www.bowmangrayracing.com or by calling (336) 723-1819.

Loren Pinilis