PDA

View Full Version : 05/14/14 - Upcoming World Record-Setting Stunt at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
05-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Randy Warren has had a long and successful career as a stunt driver, but on Saturday he gets to check off two things he’s always wanted to do: set a world record and perform at historic Bowman Gray Stadium.

Warren’s father was close friends with racing legend Curtis Turner, so getting behind the wheel of a car was a natural thing for Warren. Soon his attraction wasn’t just to the speed of a car but to the stunts he saw drivers such as Joey Chitwood perform.

In particular, Warren has perfected the skill of driving a truck on only two side wheels. “I saw Chitwood do that back when I was a kid, and I wanted to learn how to do it,” said Warren. “I’m self taught – in fact, I used to practice on the streets.”

When Chitwood did a stunt show near Warren’s home, he pounced on the opportunity to meet and work with him. “I told my older brother that we should go out there and talk to him – I’ll get him to give us a job,” said Warren. “We showed him what we could do, so he hired us. We had to start off as ramp hands, but we just moved on up the ladder.”

Warren’s daughter has helped him add a new spin to the classic stunt – Stacy Warren performs a handstand on top of the truck as Warren drives it around on two wheels. It’s a spectacle you have to see to believe.

And you’ll get your chance this Saturday at Bowman Gray Stadium as Randy and Stacy Warren will attempt to set the world record for the stunt.

Plus there will be the always exciting racing action that the Madhouse is known for. The Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series competes in the Kevin Powell Motorsports 100, the Double D Construction Services Sportsman Series races in twin 20’s, the Q104.1 New County Street Stock Series has their annual 50-lapper, and the Traffic Control Safety Services Stadium Stock Series battles in two 15-lap races.

Gates open at 6:00 for practice, qualifying is at 7:10, and the first race begins at 8:00 PM – this Saturday night. Ticket prices, directions, and more information can be found online at www.bowmangrayracing.com or by calling (336) 723-1819.

Loren Pinilis