PDA

View Full Version : 05/25/14 - Bob “Heavy” Scherer Passing

RGeeProductions
05-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Bob “Heavy” Scherer, a longtime fixture on the Eastern Pennsylvania asphalt short track circuit, passed away on Saturday evening, May 24 after a brief bout with cancer.

A former driver, 57-year old Scherer is best recognized for his years of work as the chief mechanic for his brother-in-law, champion pavement Modified star Eric Beers.

Scherer passed away while in hospice care shortly after Beers had won that same evening’s Modified feature at Mahoning Valley Speedway.

“I’ve known him (Scherer) since I was six years old. I watched him race growing up and watched him in the garage with his work ethic, everything he did throughout his life. To find out the news two weeks ago that he had cancer, it makes you cherish every moment you have we each other,” said Beers, who dedicated the win to Scherer.

“If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have one career victory. He puts our cars together and throughout the winter he works countless hours and is irreplaceable.”

As a member of the infamous “Beers Gang” Scherer started racing for the late Dale Beers in a Late Model at Dorney Park Speedway. He then progressed into a Modified at Dorney, did some dirt racing at Nazareth and returned to the pavement at Mahoning Valley Speedway and Evergreen Raceway. His final win took place on June 3, 1989 at Mahoning.

Afterwards he began working hand-in-hand with Eric Beers as his career was beginning at that period. As the top wrench for Beers, wins started to come early and often. Scherer was instrumental in Beers’ twice being track titlist at Mahoning and Evergreen as well as his success with the RoC Pavement and NASCAR Modified Tours. A crowning moment came in 2004 when Beers won the Sunoco Race of Champions 200. He was quick to credit Scherer for the work he performed on his car that memorable day.

In the past few years while Beers was racing on the NASCAR Modified Tour for the DeLange Racing Team, Scherer opted to stay at home but his nightly efforts in the garage played a key to the on track achievements.

Scherer also put his expertise to good use with the third generation of Beers racers, Kailyn and Austin, when they began running Quarter Midgets at Blue Mountain. Kailyn now races in the Pro 4 division at Mahoning Valley and Scherer had his hands in that car’s set-up as well.

He is survived by his wife, JoAnn and three daughters, Bobbi Jo, Beverly and Brandi. His viewing will be held on Tuesday evening, May 27 from 6-8 pm at Reichel Funeral Home, 326 E 21st St, Northampton, PA 18067. There will also be a viewing on Wednesday, May 28 from 11-12 am. The service will follow at the funeral home.

Dino Oberto