PDA

View Full Version : 05/31/14 - Rhodes Wins; Myers and Miller Clash at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
06-01-2014, 01:12 AM
It doesn’t matter whether it’s the K&N Pro Series East or the Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series – there’s something about the tight and aggressive racing at Bowman Gray Stadium that you won’t
find anywhere else.

Ben Rhodes of Louisville, KY took the checkered in the NASCAR Hall of Fame 150 for the K&N Pro Series East, hanging on despite the carnage behind him. And in the Modifieds, Burt Myers of Walnut Cove brought home the win
and may have fired up an old rivalry with Junior Miller.

Rhodes qualified on the pole and held off Gray Gaulding of Colonial Heights, VA for restart after restart. After Gaulding tangled with Scott Heckert of Ridgefield, CT, the road was paved for Daniel Suarez of Monterry, Mexico to
move into second.

Suarez had bumped his way forward from the rear and turned his sights on taking the win. “My car was really good in the long runs. I tried as hard as possible in the last restart and I think I had him in one and two, but somebody
touched me in my back and that killed all my momentum,” said Suarez.

Rhodes was confident that he could handle Suarez. “I knew I could hold him off - I’ve held the best in the business off,” said Rhodes, who went on to become the 128th driver to win a featured event at Bowman Gray Stadium –
adding him to the list of winners such as Richard Petty, Glen Wood, Ralph Earnhardt, and Junior Johnson.

But the heavy fireworks occurred in the Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series. Chris Fleming of Mount Airy started on the pole and shot into the lead during the early parts of the 100-lapper. Fleming defended his lead against the
outside-row challenges from Brody Jones of Statesville and Kyle Ebersole of Hummelstown, PA.
But as they approached the halfway point, Fleming and Ebersole collided and spun into the guard rail. Racing Legend Junior Miller of Danbury slipped by to claim the lead with John Smith of Mount Airy taking over second.

The battle between Miller and Smith then took center stage. During a restart 20 laps later, Smith and Miller fought furiously for the lead, refusing to give each other an inch. The two banged fenders and Smith was sent spinning.

In Smith’s absence, Burt Myers of Walnut Cove moved into second. It was a front row reminiscent of the intense Miller and Myers rivalries from the past.

Myers, who had climbed up from starting near the rear, was willing to set old grudges aside and finish behind Miller. “For once, I was halfway content with second place because I came from 22nd,” said Myers. “I saw him wreck
John Smith, and I didn’t want to give him the opportunity to wreck me – so I got behind him.”

But on the final lap, plans changed for Myers. With Tim Brown of Rural Hall on Myers’s bumper, Myers gave a stiff shot to the rear of Miller in turn four. Miller spun in a cloud of smoke, while Myers moved by to grab the checkered.

“I thought we had the race won. But when the caution came out I knew it was going to be hard to hold Burt off,” said Miller. “I figured he’d wait until the last lap to do it, and that’s what he did.”

“He’s straight up dirty. We’ll just get as dirty as he is, and we’ll settle it that way,” said Miller. “Payback’s rough when you’re the points leader.”

Myers, on the other hand, says that the hit to Miller was unintentional and was brought about by Tim Brown shoving the #1 car of Myers into Junior Miller. “Anybody that was watching us was watching Tim try to knock me into
Junior,” said Myers. “We went into the corner, and he stopped out there. Did I turn him around? I sure did. But he stopped - I got hit. This is Bowman Gray Racing. My front bumper doesn’t look like that coming from 22nd because
everyone else played nice.”

Lee Jeffreys of Wallburg finished in second, with Kyle Ebersole taking third.

K&N Pro Series East
NASCAR Hall of Fame 150: 152 laps completed (race extended due to caution)
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 41 Ben Rhodes Louisville, KY
2 6 Daniel Suarez Garza Monterry, Mexico
3 22 Austin Hill Winston, GA
4 33 Brandon Jones Atlanta, GA
5 04 Ronnie Bassett Jr Winston-Salem, NC
6 20 Gray Gaulding Colonial Heights, VA
7 2 Ryan Gifford Winchester, TN
8 96 Kenzie Ruston El Reno, OK
9 42 Jay Beasley Las Vegas, NV
10 15 Nick Drake Mooresville, NC
11 31 Kaz Grala Westborough, MA