PDA

View Full Version : 06/12/14 - Preece Joins Elite At Stafford With 3 Consecutive Victories In 2014

RGeeProductions
06-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Since the green flag fell on the 2014 SK Modified® campaign in the NAPA Auto Parts Spring Sizzler, the season has belonged to Ryan Preece and the #2 Sullivan and Sons / J.G. Poulin Drywall team. They have won the first three races of the 2014 season, which puts them in some elite company at Stafford. While Preece is the first SK Modified® driver to have won the first 3 races of the season, the feat has been accomplished three times before by modified drivers at Stafford. Ernie Gahan turned the feat in 1963 when Stafford was still a dirt track, Fred DeSarro won the first three races of the 1972 season, and Greg Sacks won the first three races of the 1982 season. There have been many instances of a driver winning the first two races of a season, but Preece, Gahan, DeSarro, and Sacks have been the only drivers to go three for three to open a modified season at Stafford.

“I know our car is pretty good, but there’s 20 other cars week in and week out that are pretty good who can hit it on any given night like we have for the first couple races,” said Preece. “That’s why every week is a different week and hopefully we can continue to have a good car and do what we’ve been doing. I expected to run well because whenever you have Mike Paquette and the guys I have working on the car, combined with the car I’m driving, it’s a good car and whenever I get in it I know we can contend for the win. Three in a row is something that you hope you can do but by no means do I go out each week and think we’re going to dominate. Every week is a new battle and we’re just trying to continue to make our car better and not fall behind.”

One key for Preece so far during the 2014 season has been his ability to make the high groove work for himself. Preece has made a lot of his passes utilizing the outside groove and he says having a good setup in his car has been a huge help for him being able to drive his car towards the front of the pack each week.

“I know what I need in the car to be able to go the outside and at the same time Mike Paquette and my crew chief Earl Pelletier know how to give that to me with the car,” said Preece. “They get it nailed where I can go to the outside or go to the inside. I know Mike did some homework over the off-season to be able to give me a car that is capable of doing that and keep the car consistent week in and week out. Especially through the summer months because every racetrack kind of goes through a transition with grip and we’re trying to keep up with the track and stay ahead of it.”

As strong as Preece has been in the first three races of the 2014 season, he says that the car hasn't been perfect yet and that his team can get the car to perform even better than it already has.

“I’m just nitpicking a little but we can still make the car better,” said Preece. “It’s not like we’re going out and lapping the field. I think everyone saw during the second win, Teddy [Christopher] was catching me and the last race Eric was right there with us until around 7 or 6 laps to go. Our focus is on trying to make our car better each week and that’s how you can keep on winning races. The car has always been good and I’m extremely happy with it. When the car has been as good as our car has been, there’s little areas where you know you can make the car a little better and that’s something you want to continue to do.”

In addition to his SK Modified® efforts, Preece is also the most recent VMRS feature winner at Stafford after winning the Lincoln Tech 80 last September. Preece will look to make it two VMRS wins in a row at Stafford in the Town Fair Tire 80 on June 20th driving the same #31 Falmouth Ready Mix car that is owned by Al and Cathy Moniz.

“The VMRS car was on rails last time out at Thompson and at Stafford, we’ve led 2 out of 3 races and the other race we finished second behind Stevie [Masse],” said Preece. “We have a really good racecar and I have all the confidence in Mike Paquette and Al and Cathy Moniz to give me a car that is definitely capable of winning that race.”

Tickets for the June 20th Town Fair Tire Valenti Modified Racing Series 80 are available and on sale now at the Speedway Box Office. Tickets are priced at $27.50 for adult general admission tickets, $5.00 for kids ages 6-14, and kids 5 and under are admitted free of charge when accompanied by an adult. Reserved seating will be priced at $30.00 for all ages. All ticket prices include 10% CT Admission Tax. Stafford Speedway offers free parking with free overnight parking for self-contained RV’s available.

For more information on the Town Fair Tire VMRS 80, or to order tickets, contact the Stafford Motor Speedway track office at 860-684-2783 or visit us on the web at www.staffordspeedway.com.

[B]Scott Running