PDA

View Full Version : 06/28/14 - Trevor Alspach survives for wild Garden State Classic win at Wall Stadium

RGeeProductions
06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
In the 54th running of the “Garden State Classic” for Downs Ford Modified stock cars at Wall Stadium Saturday night young Trevor Alspach survived being involved in at least two multi-car wrecks to grab the biggest win of his career. The Willingboro resident’s second career Modified win was also his richest as he pocketed $3,000 plus lap money for the victory.

Andrew Krause of Holmdel seemed to have things well in hand through most of the contest as he took over the lead early and fought off challenges through countless restarts. As the laps wore on several competitors stopped in the pit area for fresh tires while Krause seemed confident that his easy pace would allowed him to go the distance on one set of tires.

The many cautions and restarts in the event worked against Krause’s plan however as he lined up in a lap 93 restart with his competition all riding on fresh rubber. When the green flag waved to return to action Krause and fellow front row starter Anthony Sesely of Matawan touched and Krause was forced out of the test with front-end damage.

Sesely, a former winner of the event, then took command but the race was far from over. Alspach was now in second spot and immediately went after the leader. On lap109 Alspach saw his chance and dove to the inside to take the lead. Jackson’s Steven Reed, who had suffered through his own on track troubles during the race, slipped into second moments later and chased Alspach to the checker flag. Chas Okerson of Freehold advanced to third with ten laps remaining while Sesely and Shaun Carrig of Little Falls wrapped up the top five.

“That was a marathon,” Alspach said after his win. “My neck is so sore I can hardly move it. Once I got out front I was resting my head on the side of the seat. I knew I had a real good car, but after being involved in so much out there I didn’t think I had a chance to win. I have to thank my dad and mom and everyone who works on this car. We made a lot of stops tonight and they worked very hard to get me back out on the track and in contention.”

Robert Sutphin of Brick raced to victory in the companion 30-lapper for the Sportsman racers, taking the lead on lap 10 and never looking back. Ken Matlach of New Hyde Park, N.Y. challenged before settling for second. Kenny Van Wickle of Manasquan, Andrew Krause of Holmdel and Howell’s Kevin Davison completed the top five.

Mike Tillett of Bayville won his second straight 25-lapper for the Limited Late Model cars, holding off defending champ Brian Doyle of Ronkonkoma, N.Y. to the finish. Beachwood’s Bill Vanderveen, John Vullo and Kyle Lochrow were third through fifth.

Randy Hart of Brick crossed the line first in the 25-lap nightcap for the 4 Cylinder Stocks, but when his car failed a post race inspection Alonzo Morales was awarded his first ever win. Ron Becker, Mike Wahl, Cole Ormsbee and Rich Massaro wrapped up the top five.

Wall Stadium roars back to action this Saturday night (July 5). “Banner Night” will feature the Factory Stocks in a 50-lap championship event, while the Modifieds race in a 40-lapper, the Sportsman Cars compete in a 30-lapper and the 4 Cylinder Stocks and Legend Cars battle in 25-lap main events. A special 15-lap “Ladies’ Race” will also be contested. Fans will have the chance to win prizes after displaying their banners in front of the grandstands.

Pit area parking opens at 1:00 p.m. with practice set for 3:00 p.m. Grandstand seating opens at 5:00 p.m., qualifying is set for 5:30 p.m. with main events to follow.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on Saturdays and Sundays through September with special post-season races in October and November. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track’s email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedwayracing.com.

MODIFIED FEATURE – 125 Laps – 1. TREVOR ALSPACH, WILLINGBORO, 2. Steven Reed, 3. Chas Okerson, 4. Anthony Sesely, 5. Shaun Carrig, 6. Shawna Ingraham, 7. Zack Alspach, 8. Richie Cooper, 9. Jason Hearne, 10. Scott Branick, 11. Derek Hopkinson, 12. Chris Lane, 13. Chris Reynolds, 14. Andrew Krause, 15. Zane Zeiner, 16. Jonathan Mandato, 17. Eric Mauriello, 18. Chad Churilla, 19. Adam LaCicero, 20. Jason Treat, 21. Christian LaCicero, 22. Renee Dupruis, 23. Ryan Cottrell, 24. Glenn Slocum Jr., 25. Kevin Davison

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 30 Laps – 1. ROBERT SUTPHIN, BRICK, 2. Ken Matlach, 3. Kenny Van Wickle, 4. Andrew Krause, 5. Kevin Davison, 6. Chris Lane, 7. Matt Langbein, 8. Larry Thompson, 9. Jason Caruso, 10. Eric Lane, 11. Ron Lane, 12. Joe Cocca, 13. Robert Silver

LIMITED LATE MODEL FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. MIKE TILLETT, BAYVILLE, 2. Brian Doyle, 3. Bill Vanderveen, 4. John Vullo, 5. Kyle Lochrow, 6. Michelle Moorman, 7. Glen Conk, 8. John Parker, 9. Ronnie Mullen

4 CYLINDER STOCKS FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. ALONZO MORALES, 2. Ron Becker, 3. Mike Wahl, 4. Cole Ormsbee, 5. Rich Massaro, 6. Travis Sutphin, 7. Corey Stockert, 8. James Meyers, DQ Randy Hart

Jeff Gravatt