PDA

View Full Version : 06/29/14 - Graver subs for Beers and Score Big win in SpeedSTR Mid-Summer Thunder

RGeeProductions
06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Lehighton’s Kris Graver had still been feeling the sting from his close Modified loss to Don Wagner the night before but that may have been all forgotten by Sunday evening after he won the Mid-Summer Thunder feature and $3000 driving a USAC SpeedSTR at Mahoning Valley Speedway.

Graver got a call early Sunday morning to fill in for Eric Beers, who busted his left hand during Saturday’s Modified race, and drive in replacement. He had never even sat in such a car let alone drive one but he proved to be a quick learner. He set fast time in group qualifying, won his heat then after drawing third for the feature, went by his uncle and early race leader Kevin Graver Jr., on lap11. After he took the lead race was a fantastic action filled event as both Graver’s along with Billy Pauch Jr., and Earl Paules would battle intensely the rest of the way. This marked the first time for the SpeedSTRs racing at Mahoning Valley and the hype of close racing was more than expected. The score card will show that Kris Graver never lost the lead after his pass on Kevin Graver, it didn’t, however, give the true detail of just how concentrated the front four ran together. While Kris Graver led, back and forth went Kevin Graver, Pauch and Paules. Restarts where especially interesting as Kris Graver would be faced with the tough trio who all made valid attempts on him and each time he was able to fight back.

With ten laps to go Graver had finally put a small distance on his counterparts. Paules motored by Pauch while Kevin Graver suddenly faded. With circuits winding down Paules tried to squeeze out every last drop of power but Graver never backed down and scored the popular win. “I can’t believe this. I am huge dirt fan and getting the chance to race alongside Billy Pauch Jr., the way we did was amazing. This was the first time I had ever been in one of these cars and to pull off a win like that is something I will never forget,” said Graver. “I have to thank Art Bair, Tim Santee and Richie Tobias for getting me in this seat. We had some great drivers here tonight and it really hasn’t set in just yet that I beat them. This car was such fun to drive and it’s sort of like the Dirt Mods we race here. I’m not sure if that gave us an advantage but it didn’t hurt.” Pauch settled for third while dirt track legends Frank Cozze and Kenny Brightbill rounded out the top five.

In the All-Star Slingshot feature Demetrios Drellos of Queensbury, NY stayed strong and steady from start to finish and won the Roundy Round 25. Drellos was quick throughout the night, setting fast time, easily winning his heat and then going on cruise control for the feature. Dylan Hoch tried hard to run near Drellos but there was no denying the fast flying No. 111a as most times the field would only see him up close while under cautions. Danny Buccafusca ran third and Larry Railsnider and Louden Reimert completed the top five. There was have plenty of passing and tight racing but when it came to it Drellos it was pure dominance.

In preliminary action Damon Paul won in the Jr., Slinghots. 12-year old Tyler Wagner took his second career Micro Stock win. Tom Arntz was tops in the World Formula Micro Stocks. Dylan Martin was best in the Stage 1 Modifieds, Brad Hinkleman topped a stellar Sr. Champ Kart field and Alex Kolonics took the checkers in the Jr. Champ Kart.

Dino Oberto