PDA

View Full Version : 06/29/14 - Darryl Lewis Jr. Named Winner At Spencer

RGeeProductions
06-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Kirk Totten Takes Checkers But Goes Home Empty

Lockport’s Kirk Totten was all smiles after finishing first in the 35-lap NASCAR Sunoco Modified feature last Friday at Spencer Speedway. He related to the crowd from victory lane about putting a new motor in the cars and how it was running good. All of that joy came to an end in the post race inspection line when it was determined he was running the wrong tires on his car. He was disqualified and the win was handed over to second place finisher Darryl Lewis Jr.

In accompanying features, Brian Hallett made it two in a row in the Super Six division. He now has 16 Spencer Speedway Super Six career wins to his name.

“It’s nice to be here (victory lane) twice in a row,” he related. It has been a long time since I was here last.”

Also making it two wins in a row was Bryce Norton in the INEX Legends division. “I was focused on doing my own thing out there tonight.” Apparently he was, winning by more than 30 car lengths.

Shaun Frarey walked away with the Four Cylinder feature victory. A late race caution bunched the field together, but no one could best Frarey.

Rounding out the night were the Mid-State Vintage racers. Bob Ripley in his Geoff Bodine #99 Valiant bodied big block modified took the feature victory.

“My family and I all watched Geoff race,” he stated. “I built this car completely from old pictures. Thanks to my mom and dad for helping me out. Special thanks go to my wife. Without her I could not be racing.”

The 35-lap Sunoco Modified main event saw Eddie Hawkins take the lead at the drop of the green flag. Hawkins was being dogged by Darryl Lewis Jr. On lap 10, newcomer Kirk Totten powered his number 11x into second past Lewis and took off after Hawkins. Two laps later he caught Hawkins and out dragged him on the back stretch, running the outside lane. Totten secured the lead on lap 14.

The yellow flew on lap 20, when Tim Lewis Jr. looped around entering the fourth turn as cars were being to lap him. This set up a 15 lap dash to the checkers with Totten taking the supposed win by some ten car lengths over Lewis Jr., Kevin Timmerman, Mike Leaty, Rusty Smith and Hawkins.

The post race inspection turned up the wrong tires on the Totten car, handing the win to Lewis Jr. For Darryl Lewis Jr. the win marks his tenth career Sunoco Modified feature win at the track and ties him for 8th best on the All-Time feature win list.

The Super Six feature saw Ryan Hillegeer take the lead, only to lose it to Brian Hallett on the third lap. Lap four saw the yellow fly when Bill Mitchell spun out in the second turn.

The restart saw Tim Faro pressure Hallett as these two started to break away from the rest of the pack. Former feature winner, Van Grant, found himself in a battle for third with Brandon Allen.

The yellow flew again on lap 15, when Barrett Schenk looped out in the first turn. During this yellow a penalty of two positions was enforced on Adam VanHall for earlier contact with the Hillegeer car.

At the checkers it would be Hallett taking the win followed by Faro, Grant, Josh Schoonmaker, and Andy Cocilova to round out the top five.

The Four Cylinder Scorpions feature looked to be a complete run away for Shaun Frarey, holding at times a full straight away lead over his competition. Two yellows did help re-bunch the field but Frarey seemed just too dominant to be denied.

Frarey took the win and was followed across the finish line by Tom Alloco, Beth Dennie, Donnie Knapp Jr. and Alison Knoepfler.

Picking up her first Scorpion career start was fourteen year old Carrie Schoonmaker, who just celebrated her birthday.

The 15-lap INEX Legends feature would run green-to-checkers. Kevin Bertolone barely held on to lead the first lap, but was swallowed up by Bryce Norton, who grabbed the lead and sailed on to victory. Brad Salatino finished second followed by Tommy Catalano, who picked up a ride in a Salatino car. Tommy took the night off driving his modified. Bertolone held off Tim Faro for fourth. Faro was doing double duty on the night.

Ten cars were on hand from the Mid-State Vintage racers, including late models and modifieds. Bob Ripley powered to a win over Rob Whipple, Tim Janes and Mark Loveland.

This coming Friday is Independence Day, July 4th. Spencer will be hosting a special that night, including the first Kids’ Bicycle Races of the season. Action on the track will feature the Twin 20 lapper features for the Sunoco Modifieds originally scheduled, and rained out, back on June 13th. Completing the program will be qualifying and features for the 4-Cylinders Scorpions and the Super Sixes.

Kids in the bicycle races need to bring their helmets and register when they arrive at the track. New this year, the Kid’s Bicycle races will be run during Intermission, and not before the cars come on the track as in the past. They will be competing for many different prizes. Racing starts at 7:30 p.m. sharp.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester, NY, along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson. Spencer Speedway is the local “ NASCAR Place to Race” for Central New York in 2014. Points earned each week at Spencer are counted into the national NASCAR Whelen All-American Points.

For more information go to: www.spencerspeedway.org (http://www.spencerspeedway.org).

INEX LEGENDS
HEAT: B. Norton, B. Salatino, T. Catalano, J. Marchese, T. Faro.
FEATURE (15-Laps): BRYCE NORTON, Brad Salatino, Tommy Catalano, Kevin Bertolone, Josh Marchese, Tim Faro.

SCORPION 4-CYLINDERS
HEAT 1: S. Frarey, J. Clark, Ti. Catalano, A. Knoepfler, J. Dennie.
HEAT 2: T. Alloco, B. Dennie, F. Parsons Jr., C. Bolton-Brown, C. Schoonmaker.
FEATURE (15-laps): SHAUN FRAREY, Tom Alloco, Beth Dennie, Donnie Knapp Jr., Alison Knoepfler, Jennifer Dennie, Joe Clark, Timmy Catalano, Ashley Schoonmaker, Frank Parsons Jr., Carrie Bolton-Brown, Carrie Schoonmaker.

SUPER SIXES
HEAT 1: R. Hillegeer, B. Hallett, A. VanHall, B. Allen, V. Grant.
HEAT 2: T. Faro, A. Cocilova, B. Schenk, B. Malin, B. Inch.
FEATURE (20-laps ): BRIAN HALLETT, Tim Faro, Van Grant, Josh Schoonmaker, Andy Cocilova, Brandon Allen, Adam VanHall, Barrett Schenk, Keith Butler Jr., Ryan Hillegeer, Bill Inch, Bill Mitchell, Bill Malin.

MID-STATE VINTAGE STOCK CARS
HEAT : B. Ripley, R. Whipple, R. Zellner.
FEATURE (15-laps): BOB RIPLEY, Rob Whipple, Tim Janes, Mark Loveland, Tom Guiler, Rich Zellner, Gordie Woods, Joe Bachmann, Chris Voit, DNS: Paul Moore

SUNOCO MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1: D. Lewis Jr., R. Smith, A. Lewis, B. Semmler, C. Ridsdale.
HEAT 2: E. Hawkins, K. Timmerman, M. Leaty, Kirk Totten, B. Lippa Jr., R. Smith.
FEATURE (35-laps): DARRYL LEWIS JR., Kevin Timmerman, Mike Leaty, Rusty Smith, Eddie Hawkins, Ron Smith, Andy Lewis, Bobby Lippa Jr., Bill Semmler, Chris Ridsdale, Tim Lewis Jr., Kevin Miller, Ricky Knapp Jr., Dq’ed: Kirk Totten

Gary Spaid