PDA

View Full Version : 07/05/14 - Jason Hearne wins first Wall Stadium modified race Saturday

RGeeProductions
07-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Three years to the day after loosing a victory here when his car failed a post-race technical inspection Jason Hearne raced to victory in the 40-lap main event for Downs Ford Modified stock cars at Wall Stadium Saturday night. Hearne, of New Egypt, is the son of the speedway’s most successful driver Gil Hearne who won 101 main events and 8 Modified driving titles between 1966 and 1992.

Jason Hearne rocketed his No. 12 to the front at the drop of the green flag and was tested for almost every one of the 40-laps. First Andrew Krause of Holmdel was Hearne’s challenger before he and Jackson’s Steven Reed touched on the backstretch to force the event’s only caution on lap 21.

Reed then took up the fight and wrestled with Hearne all the way to the finish. Eric Mauriello of Howell, Freehold’s Chas Okerson and Krause wrapped up the top five.

“I’ve known Steven (Reed) for 25 year and I knew he wouldn’t wreck me,” Hearne said after the race. “But I also knew that he would run me as hard as he could. I have to thank my car-owner Jim Wolf and my father for this one. My father and me butted heads a little this week over the set-up of the car and I finally said we’ll do it your way.

“Obviously, he had the right set-up.”

Long Island resident Rob McCormick made one of his rare Wall Stadium starts count as he won the 50-lap championship race for the Factory Stocks. Wall’s Bob Haberstick, Jr. led early before former champ Scott Riggleman of Manchester took the lead on lap 10. McCormick soon moved in to challenge and when Riggleman’s brakes became an issue near the half way mark McCormick took over the lead for good.

Joe Mongeau of Bridgeton, who was also making a rare start, finished second, while Riggleman held on for third. Teammates Tiffany Olejnik and Rob Longo, both of Wall, were fourth and fifth.

Kevin Davison of Howell fought off the challenges of Holmdel’s Andrew Krause and then Kenny Matlach of New Hyde Park, N.Y. to win his first Sportsman 30-lapper of the year. Matlach held on for second, while Brick’s Robert Sutphin, Krause and Ken Van Wickle of Manasquan wrapped up the top five.

Brian Spencer of Edison grabbed his first ever win in the 25-lap race for the Legend Cars. After taking the lead on lap six Spencer held off Dan Roslin of Little Egg Harbor to the finish. Mitch Dowd, Brandon Traino and Louie Keraitis were third through fifth.

Shanon Mongeau of Farmingdale landed a ride in a 4 Cylinder Stock and then raced to victory in the 25-lapper. James Meyers of Port Monmouth, Alonzo Morales, Wall’s Cole Ormsbee and Ron Becker were second through fifth.

Nancy Hills of Manchester won the 15-lap “Ladies’ Race.”

Wall Stadium roars back to action this Saturday night (July 12). In fact there will be action on the track almost all day. The US Drift organization will be on hand for qualifying starting early and running into the mid-afternoon. Fans can witness the daytime action for just a $5 admission charge.

Then during the evening stock car racing will take center stage as the Downs Ford Modifieds, Sportsman, Limited Late Models and the 4 Cylinder Stocks in a Cone Race share the stage with the US Drift cars that will be running their finals.

For the evening portion of the program pit area parking opens at 1:00 p.m. with practice set for 3:00 p.m. Grandstand seating opens at 5:00 p.m., qualifying is set for 5:30 p.m. with main events to follow.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on Saturdays and Sundays through September with special post-season races in October and November. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track’s email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedwayracing.com.

MODIFIED FEATURE – 40 Laps – 1. JASON HEARNE, NEW EGYPT, 2. Steven Reed, 3. Eric Mauriello, 4. Chas Okerson, 5. Andrew Krause, 6. Derek Hopkinson, 7. Trevor Alspach, 8. Shawna Ingraham, 9. Shaun Carrig, 10. Chad Churilla, 11. Jason Treat, 12. Zack Alspach, 13. Glenn Slocum, Jr., 14. Chris Lane, 15. Richie Cooper

FACTORY STOCK FEATURE – 50 Laps – 1. ROB MCCORMICK, LONG ISLAND, N.Y., 2. Joe Mongeau, 3. Scott Riggleman, 4. Tiffany Olejnik, 5. Rob Longo, 6. Marty Van Druten, 7. Joey Helberg, 8. Whitey Miller, 9. Neil Rutt, 10. Dan Birdsall, 11. Bill Bruer, 12. Chris Felber, 13. Jerry Koenig, 14. Bill Stockert, 15. Ronnie Mullen, 16. Scott Maher, 17. Josh Matthews, 18. Bob Haberstick

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 30 Laps – 1. KEVIN DAVISON, HOWELL, 2. Ken Matlach, 3. Robert Sutphin, 4. Andrew Krause, 5. Ken Van Wickle, 6. Matt Langbein, 7. Chris Lane, 8. Ron Lane, Jr., 9. Jason Caruso, 10. Jeff lane, 11. Robert Silver, 12. Joe King, Jr., 13. Joe Cocca, 14. Jonathan Laureigh, 15. Dave Bailey, DQ Rob Hyer

LEGEND CARS FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. BRIAN SPENCER, EDISON, 2. Dan Roslin, 3. Mitch Dowd, 4. Brandon Traino, 5. Louie Keraitis, 6. Chris Gall, 7. Jim Davison, 8. Malcolm Campbell, 9. Steve Woytysiak, 10. James Van Wickle, 11. Beth MacFarlane, 12. Casey Robicheau, 13. Nick Van Wickle, 14. Robert French, 15. Vincent Troia

4 CYLINDER STOCKS FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. SHANON MONGEAU, FARMINGDALE, 2. James Meyers, 3. Alonzo Morales, 4. Cole Ormsbee, 5. Ron Becker, 6. Jay Conrad, 7. Corey Stockert, 8. Travis Sutphin, 9. Ron Lane, Sr., 10. Mike Wahl

Jeff Gravatt