PDA

View Full Version : 07/12/14 - Zack Alspach wins first Wall Stadium modified race Saturday

RGeeProductions
07-13-2014, 07:01 PM
After enjoying great success in both the Legend Cars and the Sportsman divisions here, Zack Alspach cracked the winner’s circle for the first time in the Downs Ford Modified division here at Wall Stadium Speedway on Saturday night. The Willingboro speedster is competing in just his first full season in the Modifieds.

Glenn Slocum of Navesink led the field to action before Jackson’s Jason Treat took command on lap one. A spin by Slocum on lap three bunched the field and Alspach took the lead on the ensuing restart. Alspach then led the way to lap 15 when the second caution of the test waved when his brother, Trevor, clipped the front stretch rail.

The Modifieds then raced 20-laps without a hitch as Zack Alspach was able to stretch a lead over Lavallette’s Adam LaCicero. During this stretch the best race on the track was for third as Treat fought valiantly to keep Brick’s Shawna Ingraham in fourth.

One final caution waved with five laps remaining when Chad Churilla spun in the second turn. Alspach was up to that challenge as he raced to the win while Derek Hopkinson of Toms River throttled into second. Treat, Chas Okerson of Freehold and LaCicero wrapped up the top five.

“The car was really good tonight and I didn’t have to use everything it had,” Zack Alspach said after the win. “I kept asking on the radio if I should go faster and I kept hearing I was good enough. I was able to keep five car lengths on the field with no problem.

“That last caution got me a little worried. I said to myself if my brother caused it I was gonna punch him after the race.”

Ken Matlach of New Hyde Park, N.Y. grabbed his second win of the year in the Sportsman 30-lapper taking the lead with an outside lane pass at the halfway point. Holmdel’s Andrew Krause, Rob Silver of Wall, Brick’s Robert Sutphin and Matt Langbein of Laurence Harbor were second through fifth. Sportsman point leader Kevin Davison of Howell had a horrible evening being involved in a qualifying race crash before meeting the same fate in the main event. He was credited with 11th.

Brick’s Ronnie Mullen took his first win of the year in the 25-lapper for the Limited Late Models over point leader Mike Tillett of Bayville. John Vullo, Anthony Crimaldi and Bill Vanderveen wrapped up the top five.

The 25-lap race for the 4 Cylinder Stocks was supposed to be a “Cone Race,” but the restart cone never came into play because the race went non-stop. Point leader James Meyers of Port Monmouth took his fifth win of the year over Cole Ormsbee of Wall, Alonzo Morales, Mike Wahl and early leader Ron Becker.

In final elimination round of the U.S.Drift event Sal DiPompo was the winner over Geoff Stonebeck.

Wall Stadium roars back to action this Saturday night (July 19). “’50s Night” competition will see the Downs Ford Modifieds, Sportsman, Factory Stocks, Legend Cars and the 4 Cylinder Stocks in action. The Legend Cars will battle in extra-distance 40-lapper while the Sportsman 30-lapper will be their second “Cone Race” of the year. The beautifully restored cars of the Garden State Vintage Stock Car Club will also be on hand.

Pit area parking opens at 1:00 p.m. with practice set for 3:00 p.m. Grandstand seating opens at 5:00 p.m. and qualifying is set for 5:30 p.m. with main events to follow.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on Saturdays and Sundays through September with special post-season races in October and November. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track’s email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedwayracing.com.

MODIFIED FEATURE – 40 Laps – 1. ZACK ALSPACH, WILLINGOBORO, 2. Derek Hopkinson, 3. Jason Treat, 4. Chas Okerson, 5. Adam LaCicero, 6. Andrew Krause, 7. Shaun Carrig, 8. Shawna Ingraham, 9. Eric Mauriello, 10. Trevor Alspach, 11. Steven Reed, 12. Chris Reynolds, 13. Chad Churilla, 14. Jason Hearne, 15. Chris Lane, 16. Keith Mulleneaux, 17. Glenn Slocum

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 30 Laps – 1. KEN MATLACH, NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y., 2. Andrew Krause, 3. Rob Silver, 4. Robert Sutphin, 5. Matt Langbein, 6. Jason Caruso, 7. Larry Thompson, 8. Kenny Van Wickle, 9. Eric Lane, 10. Kevin Davison, 11. Joe Cocca

LIMITED LATE MODEL FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. RONNIE MULLEN, BRICK, 2. Mike Tillett, 3. John Vullo, 4. Anthony Crimaldi, 5. Bill Vanderveen, 6. Glen Conk, 7. Michelle Moorman, 8. John Parker

4 CYLINDER STOCKS FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. JAMES MEYERS, PORT MONMOUTH, 2. Cole Ormsbee, 3. Alonzo Morales, 4. Mike Wahl, 5. Ron Becker, 6. Mike Bilello, 7. Rich Massaro, 8. Bob Cramer, 9. Travis Sutphin, 10. Rob Willis

Jeff Gravatt