PDA

View Full Version : 07/19/14 - Mike Leaty Sweeps Sunoco Mod Twin 20’s at Spencer Speedway

RGeeProductions
07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Mike Leaty from Williamson, NY earned the victory in both 20 lap feature events for the Sunoco Modifieds at the Spencer Speedway this past Friday night. Josh Schoonmaker from Ontario, NY won his second Super Six feature event of the 2014 season. Austin Montgomery from Ontario, NY earned his first career feature event for the 4 Cylinder Scorpions.

Darryl Lewis Jr and Eddie Hawkins were on the front row for the first 20 lap Sunoco Modified feature event with Lewis jumping into the lead. Mike Leaty and Rusty Smith quickly passed Hawkins for second and third respectively on the opening circuit. Leaty would look underneath Lewis to move into the lead on lap four. On the following lap, Smith would pass Lewis to take over the runner up spot. Leaty and Smith would pull away from the field until a lap 13 caution for a spinning Andy Lewis in turn two. The restart would see Leaty jump back out front but the caution would come back out on lap 14 after Eddie Hawkins’s run would end after losing his radiator hose in his #33 racer. Leaty would gain the lead again off the restart with Smith in second and Kevin Timmerman running in third. Leaty would pull away from Smith to earn the victory. Timmerman would finish in third and was followed by Darryl Lewis Jr and Terry Cheetham completing the top five.

“It’s always a good night to pick up a feature win” stated Leaty in victory lane. “With both me and Steve celebrating birthdays this week, it’s a good birthday present for the both of us” Leaty continued.

In the second Sunoco Modified 20 lap feature, Darryl Lewis Jr and Terry Cheetham were on the front row with Lewis Jr showing the way with feature #1 winner Mike Leaty quickly pulling into second place. Timmy Lewis Jr would bring out the races first caution on lap two, just after Leaty passed Darryl Lewis Jr for the race lead. The restart saw Leaty pull away, just like in the first feature as Rusty Smith would move into second, also like in the first feature. As the leaders pulled away, the battle was on for third between Lewis, Kevin Timmerman, Terry Cheetham and Andy Lewis. Andy Lewis would pull off the track with issues on lap 13. Lewis Jr and Timmerman would battle for third with Lewis Jr holding off all of Timmerman’s advances. Mike Leaty would win his second of the night, Rusty Smith, Darryl Lewis Jr, Kevin Timmerman and Terry Cheetham would complete the top five.

“It’s awesome and unbelievable to win twice on the same night” stated Leaty in victory lane.
Barrett Schenk and Josh Schoonmaker led the field of Super Sixes to the green flag for their 20 lap feature event with Schoonmaker moving into the lead as Tim Faro moved into second at the end of the opening circuit. With Schoonmaker and Faro showing the way, Van Grant raced his way into third and Brian Hallett racing in fourth with Schenk running in fifth, after starting on the pole. Brandon Allen passed Schenk on lap six to move into the top five. With Schoonmaker showing the way, Faro was beginning to reel him in as the race neared the halfway point. Faro would use every inch of the racetrack to challenge Schoonmaker for the race lead but Schoonmaker held him off for the win, Grant would finish third and was followed Brandon Allen and Brian Hallett.

“I knew that Tim was behind me and I just had to keep running my line and keep the lead” stated Schoonmaker in victory lane.

Qualifying winner Carrie Bolton-Brown and Jennifer Dennie led the field of 4 Cylinder Scorpions to the green flag for their 15 lap feature event with Bolton-Brown showing the way from the opening green flag. Joe Clark spun on the front stretch to bring out the races opening caution on lap three. With Bolton-Brown continuing to show the way, Dennie and Timmy Catalano would battle for second with Catalano jumping into the runner up spot. Bolton-Brown lost the handle in turn four to bring out the caution on lap five, handing the lead over to Catalano. The restart would see Catalano and Austin Montgomery showing the way with Shaun Frarey and Travis Montgomery running in the top four. On the last lap, Austin Montgomery would pass his cousin Tim Catalano on the outside of turn three and held Catalano off to earn the victory, the first of his young career. Shaun Frarey would finish in third and was followed by Travis Montgomery and

“It was my first career feature win and it was awesome” stated an elated Austin Montgomery in victory lane. “I know I had to pass my cousin Timmy when it was the white flag as I really wanted to get a win” Montgomery continued

SPENCER NOTES: Winners of the Kids Bike Race include Elliott Lees, Matthew Chelini and Tim Dobertsov. Prizes to all the participants in the Kids Bike Race were donated by longtime track officials Don and Marilyn Toal. The kids will once again be taking center stage this coming Friday Night, July 25th as it is the Poster Contest.

The track is highly anticipating the 60th Anniversary Special on Friday August 8th. Over 40 drivers from the track’s past will be on hand for a meet and greet opportunity. All drivers from the six decades of racing at the speedway are invited to join us. For more information, contact Marilyn Toal at (585) 663-0004 or see her at the track on race nights.

NASCAR Racing will return to the Williamson half-mile oval on Friday July 25 as the NYS Super Stocks will be racing in a 25 lap feature event. The Sunoco Modifieds will be racing in a single 35 lap feature go. In addition, the INEX Legends will be racing in a National Qualifier event. The Super Sixes and 4 Cylinder Scorpions will also be in competition. Race time is at 7:30pm sharp. A kids poster contest will be taking place during intermission.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester, NY, along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson. Spencer Speedway is the local “NASCAR Place to Race” for Central New York in 2014. Points earned each week at Spencer are counted into the national NASCAR Whelen All-American Points. For more information go to: www.spencerspeedway.org.

SUNOCO MODIFIEDS
Heat 1: D. Lewis Jr, A. Lewis, K. Timmerman, E. Hawkins, T. Lewis, B. Lippa
Heat 2: R. Smith, M. Leaty, T. Cheetham, R. Knapp Jr
SUNOCO MODIFIEDS FEATURE #1: MIKE LEATY, Rusty Smith, Kevin Timmerman, Darryl Lewis Jr, Terry Cheetham, Bobby Lippa Jr, Andy Lewis, Ricky Knapp, Timmy Lewis, Eddie Hawkins
SUNOCO MODIFIEDS FEATURE #2: MIKE LEATY, Rusty Smith, Darryl Lewis Jr, Kevin Timmerman, Terry Cheetham, Eddie Hawkins, Bobby Lippa Jr, Ricky Knapp, Timmy Lewis, Andy Lewis

SUPER SIXES
Heat 1: B. Schenk, B. Allen, A. Cocilova, R. Hillegeer, K. Butler Jr., B. Mitchell
Heat 2: J. Schoonmaker, T. Faro, V. Grant, B. Hallett, A. VanHall, B. Inch
FEATURE: JOSH SCHOONMAKER, Tim Faro, Van Grant, Brandon Allen, Brian Hallett, Barrett Schenk, Andy Cocilova, Ryan Hillegeer, Adam VanHall, Bill Inch, Keith Butler Jr., Bill Mitchell

4 CYLINDER SCORPIONS
Heat 1: A. Montgomery, S. Frarey, T. Catalano, B. Dennie, D. Knapp Jr, T. Alloco, A. Schoonmaker
Heat 2: C. Bolton-Brown, A. Knoephler, J. Clark, T. Montgomery, J. Dennie, F. Parsons Jr. DNS: P. Flye, C. Schoonmaker
FEATURE: AUSTIN MONTGOMERY, Timmy Catalano, Shaun Frarey, Travis Montgomery, Donnie Knapp Jr, Joe Clark, Beth Dennie, Tom Alloco, Jennifer Dennie, Ashley Schoonmaker, Carrie Bolton-Brown, Frank Parsons Jr., Paul Flye, Alison Knoephler DNS: Carrie Schoonmaker

Steven Petty