PDA

View Full Version : yankees racing in the south

TMAC
08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Congrats to #2 team for southern win at bristol,also good luck to Danny Bohn who is going for championship at Bowman Gray this weekend...

cornellsgt12
08-21-2014, 02:43 PM
It might be just me, but congratulating a driver for finishing 13th on the track and then declaring him the "southern winner" seems somewhat odd. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to diminish their efforts, just seems off is all.

Gil
08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
I thought the same thing as the previous poster. Very strange. To be fair the overall winner should get an extra win for the North!

SteveS
08-22-2014, 11:08 AM
I thought the same thing as the previous poster. Very strange. To be fair the overall winner should get an extra win for the North!

Just as funny is that the "winner" of the southern field is from way down in Long Island, New York-deep in the heart of the confederacy. Maybe they should start making the combination races like the little kids sports and give everyone a trophy........ and a lollipop.

TMAC
08-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Kinda tongue and cheek was how i felt[hence the yankee bit],still in all two of our nothern drivers did the sweep lol,and speaking for me a former hot shoe[jr bertuccio] from riverhead gets the win[ 2 for the season so far],even better... thats all

Racer1_NC
08-22-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm curious.....if the current method of awarding points in 2 seperate series isn't to your liking....just how would YOU do it?

SteveS
08-22-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm curious.....if the current method of awarding points in 2 seperate series isn't to your liking....just how would YOU do it?
The points isn't the thing- the winner is the guy who reached the checkered flag first, regardless of south or north- after that the 13th guy finished a dozen spots back of the winner. I don't know, I'd probably call him the highest scoring driver from the WSMT and likewise if 12 south cars finish ahead of the best north car, he didn't win jack squat, he just gets the most points among drivers in his division. Personally, I'd feel like a fool being in victory lane when I finished slighty better than middle of the pack of cars that were still running. I'm not trying to put anyone down, that is just how I would feel. And why the hell do they feel the need to put a damn diaper change break in the middle of a race, be it here or Loudon or anywhere. Put real pit stops back in these races.

cornellsgt12
08-23-2014, 07:14 AM
They could accomplish it with two separate 75 or 100 lap races for each of the north tour and the south tour. Allow cars to switch over and race in each race if they so choose, a little risky but was done between the MRS and ROC a few years back.

SteveS
08-23-2014, 09:54 AM
They could accomplish it with two separate 75 or 100 lap races for each of the north tour and the south tour. Allow cars to switch over and race in each race if they so choose, a little risky but was done between the MRS and ROC a few years back.

The problem with that concept is whoever gets the second race faces a little to lose mentality from the invaders because their points aren't on the line. If you're in race 2, you really don't want to risk damaging your car in race 1. The only way that can work well is if you have good officiating that assure the competitors that if you get too physical with another car you get black flagged and then enforce it without bias between series. Very tricky-like politicians from opposite sides working together. I just think the only winner should be first place.

Racer1_NC
08-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Valid points....I do agree that NASCAR making a big deal over "winning" your series is overblown and I do find it difficult to understand. I think it comes down to having to award points to the different series seperately so why not add some BS to the process. Typical NASCAR. That being said I can think of no other way of running a combo race with seperate point awards.

Halfway break......makes no difference to me either way. My only problem with the NWSMT (non combo races) is they 1) won't allow a team to take tires because 2) they won't pay enough of a purse to allow for it.

JWfor8x
08-24-2014, 01:22 PM
If I were in charge, it would be pretty simple. Give purse and points the same way as if it were only one series, either WMT or WSMT. Then, if you finished 1'st, you would get first place points and purse no matter which series you normally raced. Same for all other positions so if you were the second northern car and you finished 4'th, you would get 4'th place points and purse for the WMT. Same for all positions. That seems bettter to me.