PDA

View Full Version : 09/20/14 - Rich Mutarelli and Bob Wagner also notch victories at Mahoning

RGeeProductions
09-21-2014, 12:04 PM
After losing the past two Saturday nights to rain, Mahoning Valley Speedway racers came out loaded for bear as the pit are swelled to a season high 131 race cars making for a jam packed night of stock car action at the Lehighton paved ¼-mile oval.

And leading the list of feature winners was Lafayette, NJ’s Roger Coss who showed that nice guys do finish first. Coss is one of the most personable, smooth and cleanest racers in the business. He has also fought back from adversity, having crashed hard back in June, missed two weeks to rebuild his car then rebounded steadily in getting back to being a front runner.

In the 35-lap Modified feature Coss started fourth and was able to slip underneath early leader Brian Romig with 13 laps complete. He then stayed unruffled the rest of the way for the $1800 triumph.

“I can’t thank everyone enough, especially the fans who compliment my driving, how clean I am so I guess nice guys do win,” said Coss. “Ever since that (June) wreck and we rebuilt it the car has been great.”

When the event got underway Romig jumped into the lead followed by John Markovic and Coss. It remained in that order until lap 10 when Markovic went high to try and pass Romig. Aiming to protect his spot, Romig stepped up just slightly in order to fend off Markovic. That was all Coss needed as he quickly seized the opening on the bottom groove and surged into the lead at the completion of lap 13.

Markovic did get by Romig as did Kyle Strohl. Strohl was strong and if anyone had a shot at getting by Coss it appeared to be him. Strohl had just made a pass for second on lap 18 and the next time around the caution was out for a minor incident. Lining up next to Coss for the restart it was now or never for Strohl. When the race resumed they both ran two-wide but after a few laps Coss showed that this was going to be his night as he powered ahead and left Strohl and all others battle for the second and beyond.

“I felt I was better once I got my rhythm going. I knew Kyle (Strohl) was moving up and he got alongside of me earlier in the race so I knew his car was good, but here’s all that matters, being in Victory Lane,” said Coss.

“I started racing in 1995 and I’ve won a feature every year since then and I’m cutting it a little close this year but the streak is still going.”

Kris Graver finished third and holds a slim lead in the points over Earl Paules with two races remaining. Making his first start of the season, Zane Zeiner had a solid run and was fourth while Markovic rounded out the top five.

George Ramos scored his second career win in the Late Model feature. For Ramos, it was a hard fought and well-earned victory as he dueled through most of the event with Jeremy Miller.

They would both swap the lead until Ramos went out front for good with six laps to go. His journey to the checkers wasn’t done at that point either as Mike Sweeney would give an all-out effort to try and pass but Ramos stayed strong and claimed the popular verdict.

In Street Stock action it was Joe Mooney dominating his way to his first win of the season and first since 2011 which was in a Modified.

Mooney started from the pole and was no match through most of the 30 lapper, although there was a valiant effort by Jamie Smith to get by him after a lap 24 restart. However, after a few laps Mooney was back in charge and cruising his way to victory. In second was point leader TJ Gursky with Todd Ahner third.

Dirt Modified point leader Kevin Graver Jr., made a solid statement that he will be tough to beat for this year’s class championship. Graver went into the lead after a lap six restart and never looked back, scoring his fifth with of the year and taking a solid point lead into the final two matches. Ricky Yetter, his closest rival for the title, was second.

With three laps to go Cody Kohler made a daring inside pass for the lead over Bobby Kibler Jr., and went on to score his second straight win and third of the year in the Pro 4 feature. Point leader Nick Baer was second with Dave Chapman third.

A special 30 lap/$400 to win feature for the Hobby Stocks was on tap and the class answered with the biggest field to date as 20 cars took the initial green and despite the full starting grid there was a familiar name back in Victory Lane as “Rapid” Rich Mutarelli went on to notch an unprecedented fifth consecutive win.

Mutarelli had zeroed in on early leader Tim Oswald by lap three and would then hound him relentlessly. Coming upon heavy traffic, Mutarelli was able to trap Oswald and snag the lead with three laps to go and held on for yet another win.

Current Micro Stock Racing Series point leader Bob Wagner parleyed his pole starting spot into victory as led all 20 laps and notched his first Mahoning win of the season and 15th at the Lehighton track. A close second was Alex Greenzweig.

Modified Feature Finish (35 Laps): 1. Roger Coss, 2. Kyle Strohl, 3. Kris Graver, 4. Zane Zeiner, 5. John Markovic, 6. Nevin George, 7. Earl Paules, 8. Eric Beers, 9. Don Wagner, 10. Todd Baer, 11. Mike Quinn, 12. Joe Mooney, 13. Chip Santee, 14. Francis Gross III, 15. Bobby Jones, 16. Brain Romig Sr., 17. Terry Markovic, 18. Lou Strohl, 19. Roger Heffelfinger Jr., 20. Wilton Nickerson, 21. Scott Meckes
DNQ: Kevin Rex Jr., Brian Romig Jr.

Late Model Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. George Ramos, 2. Mike Sweeney, 3. Jeremy Miller, 4. Paul Effrig, 5. Jacob Nemeth, 6. Earl Paules, 7. Geno Steigerwalt, 8. Frankie Althouse, 9. Paul Koehler Jr., 10. Jacob Kerstetter, 11. Danielle Paules

Street Stock Feature Finish (30 Laps): 1. Joe Mooney, 2. TJ Gursky, 3. Todd Ahner, 4. Jamie Smith, 5. Brian Labar, 6. Jonathan Tracey, 7. Cody Roth, 8. Troy Bollinger, 9. Josh Mooney, 10. Dave Chapman, 11. Gene Bowers, 12. Jason Kuhn, 13. Tiffany Wambold, 14. Jillian Long, 15. Zach Graver, 16. Aaron Kromer, 17. Rich Emel, 18. Chip Wanamaker, 19. Paul Morgan Jr., 20. Stacey Brown, 21. Jared Ahner, 22. Randy Ahner Jr., 23. Steven Steigerwalt
DNQ: Randy Schlenker, Bernie Uphold, Lonnie Behler Jr., Jon Smith, Dennis Buss, Logan Boyer, Dan Freundt, Jeff Larrison Jr.

Dirt Modified Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. Kevin Graver Jr., 2. JP Curry, 3. Billy Lowden Jr., 4. Ricky Yetter, 5. Mark Martini, 6. Jack Ely, 7. Mike Stofflet, 8. Aleia Geisler, 9. Dave Gorbatuk, 10. Michael Don Rasley, 11. Scott Adams, 12. Ray Deemer, 13. Drew Reinbold, 14. Jeff Parker, 15. Billy Lasko, 16. Blaine Sadler, 17.Dave Thomas

Pro 4 Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Cody Kohler, 2. Nick Baer, 3. Dave Chapman, 4. Bill Rooney, 5. JD Light, 6. Jake Kibler, 7. Kailyn Beers, 8. Bobby Kibler Jr., 9. Bobby Kibler Sr., 10. Tyler Stangle, 11. Jason Muffley, DNS: Gary Shock

Hobby Stock Feature Finish (30 Laps): 1. Rich Mutarelli, 2. Tim Oswald, 3. Corey Edelman, 4. Cody Geist, 5. Gunner Yost, 6. Sam Ryan, 7. Jeff Biegley, 8. Jacob Oswald, 9. Richie Pugliese, 10. Anthony Pugliese, 11. Heather Fennell, 12. Steve Gehman, 13. John Reppert, 14. Chris Nelson, 15. Justin Martison, 16. Bob Azarowitz, 17. Alton Snyder Jr., 18. Lyndsay Buss, 19. Daniel Hargan, 20. Ron Heeter

Micro Stock Feature Finish, (20 Laps): 1. Bob Wagner, 2. Alex Greenzweig, 3. DJ Wagner, 4. Ken Dengler Jr., 5. Walt Mueller, 6. Larry Ealey, 7. Bill Darling, 8. Don Wagner, 9. Joe Stangle, 10. John Rakos, 11. Roger Snyder, 12. Andrew Shuster, 13. Wayne Krenn, 14. Al Vanhart, 15. Walter Morrison, 16. Tyler Wagner

Dino Oberto