PDA

View Full Version : What could this mean for the NWMT

cornellsgt12
10-09-2014, 05:05 PM
http://racedayct.com/2014/10/sources-new-northeast-based-touring-modified-division-in-early-stages-of-organization/

Could this be the end of NASCAR's affiliation with the modifieds ? Will this turn into another series that starts with good intentions (MRS) and fails to deliver for the long haul ? Interesting concept if you could combine the teams of the NWMT, MRS and ROC into one series. Would need a lot of financial backing, commitments from NASCAR sanctioned tracks and a rules package that can/will be enforced.

Something needs to be done for the health of the sport.

MOD11RACER
10-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Could this be the end of NASCAR's affiliation with the modifieds ? Really LOL

The WMT is here to stay. The WMT is the only Elite Modified Tour we have.

The MRS & ROC payouts for each race and point funds are an embarrassment to Modified racing. So are the no rules enforcement. The owners of those 2 Modified Series fill their pockets on the backs of Modified team owners.

The way to increase car counts on all three Tours is to have unified rules. Since NASCAR leads the way the other two Tours would have to change to WMT rules. This would increase car counts for all of the Modified Tours because you could run one Modified in the 3 different Tours. In this day and age this makes to much sense, so it will never happen.

Also open up the engine rules and let them run any carburetor they want. This would give the drivers a lot more throttle response and lead to better racing for the fan.

Stafford, Waterford and Thompson should run weekly Modifieds with Tour rules and make the tour events season point paying events along with Tour points that would also increase car counts and make the races very interesting.

The World of Outlaws is very successful with this format and it used to be very successful with the Modifieds.

Gil
10-14-2014, 02:11 AM
The last I know Thompson doesn't run weekly shows these days.

uticamike
10-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Could this be the end of NASCAR's affiliation with the modifieds ? Really LOL

The WMT is here to stay. The WMT is the only Elite Modified Tour we have.

The MRS & ROC payouts for each race and point funds are an embarrassment to Modified racing. So are the no rules enforcement. The owners of those 2 Modified Series fill their pockets on the backs of Modified team owners.

The way to increase car counts on all three Tours is to have unified rules. Since NASCAR leads the way the other two Tours would have to change to WMT rules. This would increase car counts for all of the Modified Tours because you could run one Modified in the 3 different Tours. In this day and age this makes to much sense, so it will never happen.

Also open up the engine rules and let them run any carburetor they want. This would give the drivers a lot more throttle response and lead to better racing for the fan.

Stafford, Waterford and Thompson should run weekly Modifieds with Tour rules and make the tour events season point paying events along with Tour points that would also increase car counts and make the races very interesting.

The World of Outlaws is very successful with this format and it used to be very successful with the Modifieds.

I love the lectures from the fans of the Incredible Shrinking Modified Tour. Big Deal!!! took till the end of the year with cars from a now finished series to get a decent car count at Thompson.

The Whelen Tour is pricing itself out of biz and every time they do something to "help" the racers (spec engine) they push a few more away. The Tour is lucky Jack Bateman is a fool and is going

to blow up his own formally growing series. That series beat the Tour on car count many times this year..you failed to mention that. You may recall that Thompson just a couple of years ago tried to have the

"real" Mods weekly. FAIL!!! Why. The current NASCAR legal car is not a viable weekly racer. Looks like many racers don't share your view of what is the "best" tour and so the shrinkage will continue i my opinion.

The ROC? An underfunded operation that does pretty well with what is left of Modified racing in NY. They have a market though at the tracks your beloved tour can't seem to find a way to get back to.

Enjoy the Nutmeg Mods while NASCAR still milks the last dollars from the deep pocket boys.

Racer1_NC
10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure that NASCAR is the answer to the division's problems. The money just isn't there....it could be, but Daytona seems to prefer the viewpoint of "As long as someone shows up, it's all good.". Only problem is.....it's not good. If the series carried it's own purse to the tracks like some of the "development" series appear to do, you'd send cars home every week.

One thing I am sure of is that a competitor run series is doomed to fail.....some sooner....some later. It'll work for a while but power struggles, too many personalities, too many viewpoints and too many agendas eventually do it in.

cornellsgt12
10-16-2014, 05:58 PM
If the NWMT reverted back to the old business model I think it would be successful. The increase in the amount of money the individual tracks have to commit to hosting an event is cost prohibitive and not a sound business decision. Think of all the tracks that used to host the modified tour up and down the east coast and now the MWMT is down to having the Ct. tracks host 2/3 of the races. Can't grow the fan base if you don't put the product out to a larger geographical area. The ROC and MRS have the right idea, lower costs for team owners and a lower purse structure for the races, they just don't have the corporate sponsors that are attached to NASCAR. I'm not a team owner but I gotta believe that the cost to break even ratio is greater in the ROC and MRS than the NWMT.

JWfor8x
10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
http://racedayct.com/2014/10/sources-new-northeast-based-touring-modified-division-in-early-stages-of-organization/

Could this be the end of NASCAR's affiliation with the modifieds ? Will this turn into another series that starts with good intentions (MRS) and fails to deliver for the long haul ? Interesting concept if you could combine the teams of the NWMT, MRS and ROC into one series. Would need a lot of financial backing, commitments from NASCAR sanctioned tracks and a rules package that can/will be enforced.

Something needs to be done for the health of the sport.

I actually don't think it will mean anything for the tour, just as when Tom Baldwin and others were trying to start a rival tour years ago. As long as NASCAR decides to keep what is left of the tour going, it will be around but not strong. If NASCAR pulls the plug, maybe some combination of the MRS and ROC, or a third tour can succeed, I don't know.

CASHCAD45
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I actually don't think it will mean anything for the tour, just as when Tom Baldwin and others were trying to start a rival tour years ago. As long as NASCAR decides to keep what is left of the tour going, it will be around but not strong. If NASCAR pulls the plug, maybe some combination of the MRS and ROC, or a third tour can succeed, I don't know.

Why do you people insist the WMT isn't strong. The most popular auto racing in the world F1 starts 21 cars. more doesn't always mean better! We still have the top owners drivers crews& equipt in modified racing on the WMT. It only takes 2 cars to make a race and 20 to26 entries is real good in todays world. this ismt 1982 anymore.

fastbackss
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
The most popular auto racing in the world F1 starts 21 cars. more doesn't always mean better!

Not a fair comparison - F1 limits its grid to 12 teams of 2 cars (24 total). Each team is required to run 2 cars (the last race was an exception due to Jules Bianchi's accident). F1 also has to approve each team before they are allowed to compete.

That being said, we can argue about whether more cars signifies health (or better racing). But - it would be fair to say as a trend (depending on how far one goes back) that the number of cars on tour has decreased.

uticamike
10-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Quote " .... top owners drivers crews& equipt...... This just floors me everytime I see or hear that. Define top for us. You mean = the biggest bank accounts? What jive..like that makes the racing better.

I'll have to run that thought by Art Barry next time I have a chat with him.

CASHCAD45
10-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Not a fair comparison - F1 limits its grid to 12 teams of 2 cars (24 total). Each team is required to run 2 cars (the last race was an exception due to Jules Bianchi's accident). F1 also has to approve each team before they are allowed to compete.

That being said, we can argue about whether more cars signifies health (or better racing). But - it would be fair to say as a trend (depending on how far one goes back) that the number of cars on tour has decreased.

I wasn't comparing business models ,what I was saying is that if 20-22 cars on a 3 mile track can put on a show millions of fans around the world enjoy. I'm pretty sure we can put on a great show with 22 cars on a 1/4to1/2 mile oval.PS Indycar only has 22 cars and had a great season also Stafford was getting 20 to24sk's per week and had arguably the best racing ever . I'll take quality over quantity every time!

CASHCAD45
10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
ok for argument sake lets form 3 lines #1 the top ten ROC teams #2 the top ten WMT teams #3top ten VMRS teams All complete with all equipt , personel EVERYTHING. ? is which line would an objective person choose if he could take only one line?I don't think it would be a hard choice.

uticamike
10-18-2014, 08:35 AM
ok for argument sake lets form 3 lines #1 the top ten ROC teams #2 the top ten WMT teams #3top ten VMRS teams All complete with all equipt , personel EVERYTHING. ? is which line would an objective person choose if he could take only one line?I don't think it would be a hard choice.

Still confused?? Lines? what this about lines? I read your inference as the WMT having better racing by default because it has the "top" teams. I reject that out of hand.

They had a chance (actually 3 of them) to demonstrate their superiority over the others with the Tri-Track series races but elected to sit out. Good paying races too.

My bottom line is that any series can put up a fantastic race or a turkey on any given day and it's simply pure snobbery to say the WMT is superior because a NASCAR banner flies over it's head.

JWfor8x
10-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Why do you people insist the WMT isn't strong. The most popular auto racing in the world F1 starts 21 cars. more doesn't always mean better! We still have the top owners drivers crews& equipt in modified racing on the WMT. It only takes 2 cars to make a race and 20 to26 entries is real good in todays world. this ismt 1982 anymore.

And just what NASCAR modified tour would that have been in 1982? As of this year, the WMT had 14 shows scheduled and lost one at Riverhead due to rain. Of the 13 that were run, one was in all but two were in New England. There were no races upstate NY. None in Pa or NJ. I would think that a strong regional tour would have 18 to 20 races and maybe a couple more races outside of New England. To do that, of course, it would have to be financially viable for the team owners, which it isn't. Like I said, the WMT isn't going away, unless NASCAR decides that they don't want to support it anymore. The ROC tour, MRS or any new tour cannot put it out of business as NASCAR is too powerful. That does not mean that they will not one day decide that it is not in their own financial best interest to eliminate it someday. I don't want that day to come. I want the WMT to not only survive, but to grow stronger, but I think that as of now, the WMT is in trouble.

CASHCAD45
10-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Still confused?? Lines? what this about lines? I read your inference as the WMT having better racing by default because it has the "top" teams. I reject that out of hand.

They had a chance (actually 3 of them) to demonstrate their superiority over the others with the Tri-Track series races but elected to sit out. Good paying races too.

My bottom line is that any series can put up a fantastic race or a turkey on any given day and it's simply pure snobbery to say the WMT is superior because a NASCAR banner flies over it's head.

I said it before the top WMT owners never asked for a tri track series and never said they would support it. From what I understand it was a very good series that did just fine without us . there is plenty of room to coexist and everyone can do the brand of racing that they like best.

cornellsgt12
10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
To all those that refuse to recognize the painfully obvious situation concerning the NWMT, here is a quote from one of the most respected and long term members of the tour.

“The Tour is not what it’s cracked up to be by a lot of people any more,” Christopher said. “You know it and I know it. It used to be a great thing to run. I’m glad I won a championship there, but it’s not what it’s cracked up to be." - Ted Christopher

BigMac
10-29-2014, 08:10 PM
True but TC also said he was in the conversation for the 16 ride and that he would be making some calls about the 4 ride. It may not be what it is cracked up to be but the man is trying really hard to find a ride on said tour at the same time.

Racer1_NC
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
He's correct....to a point.....however I view his comments more in the context of "If they don't want me on their team, then I don't want to be on the team.".

Was talking with a friend about that article. His take was to the effect of "If top shelf teams don't want him then maybe HE isn't what he's cracked up to be...anymore."

whelenguy
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM
TC is a knucklehead.

whelenguy
10-30-2014, 12:09 PM
And you are saying that they are not the top performers because they did not compete in the Tri-Track Series? Now that makes a lot of sense.

whelenguy
10-30-2014, 12:18 PM
To all of the "nay-sayers" and pessimists, the NWMT is alive and well. It is not on the way out, it is not going to be abandoned by NASCAR or Whelen and the 2015 season will be better than ever. There is nothing wrong with having other modified racing series, I think it is great. Modified racing is the most exciting racing around and the more races the better. Expense is a major factor for all teams at all levels of racing. Efforts need to be made to reduce costs by all racing series without jeopardizing safety or reducing the quality of the show, with emphasis on safety. We can all get along and each series has challenges but, most importantly, we have the opportunity to watch modified racing.

CASHCAD45
10-30-2014, 12:48 PM
To all those that refuse to recognize the painfully obvious situation concerning the NWMT, here is a quote from one of the most respected and long term members of the tour.

“The Tour is not what it’s cracked up to be by a lot of people any more,” Christopher said. “You know it and I know it. It used to be a great thing to run. I’m glad I won a championship there, but it’s not what it’s cracked up to be." - Ted Christopher

TC is a bitter old man!!! Got booted from the 36 passed over for the88,6 &
16 and no doubt wont get the 4ride. Forced to basicly field his own team he chooses to bash the series, that's realy gonna help his cause.Its that attitude that cost him a top ride last offseaon(one that won 2 races in 2014 while he won a big FAT ZERO)

RGeeProductions
06-03-2015, 12:13 PM
just wonderin' what everyone thinks now about modified car counts.....

LiquidBread
06-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Wow ... crickets. Being one of the biggest NASCAR skeptics ever, got to admit that things are off to a nice start this year. A lot of good stuff going on in all three series.

Goldy
06-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Agree, the car counts are looking so much better than counts of a couple years ago at 22, 24, etc.. however I’ll add that we still have a pretty good dose of the have and have not’s – half this field are capable of top 10 performances while the rest, well, not so much…

I suppose this could be said for any division or series, touring or not..

SteveS
06-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Agree, the car counts are looking so much better than counts of a couple years ago at 22, 24, etc.. however I’ll add that we still have a pretty good dose of the have and have not’s – half this field are capable of top 10 performances while the rest, well, not so much…

I suppose this could be said for any division or series, touring or not..

Yes, but you could take almost half the field and switch them so the have nots are in the best equipment with the best people and most would still be in the way, spin out by themselves or wreck the field. And then the good drivers running the "junk" would still finish toward the front. I'll never forget being at Thompson several years ago and seeing the 9 car of Jake flying during practice-passing high side, low side and then Ken Barry climbed out of the car. Nothing against female drivers at all but how do you think the current female tour driver would do if she could hop in any car she wanted? My guess is she would probably still be dead last by a bunch. All the money and all the desire in the world doesn't get you talent.