PDA

View Full Version : 04/11/15 - Ace’s High For Wagner In Mahoning Opening Night Modified Gamblers Series

RGeeProductions
04-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Don Wagner got his 2015 season off to a great start by taking the victory in the opening round of the Central States Modified Gamblers Series at Mahoning Valley Speedway. The Opening Night 125 lap feature netted the Wharton, NJ veteran $5000, an Ace card and the early division point lead.

Wagner waged a great duel with Zane Zeiner over the final 50 laps before grabbing the lead with 23 circuits to go and remained solid en route to his 17th career Mahoning win.

“We’ve been shooting for a big race like this for a long time. It helps pay the bills. It was some good racing upfront and Zane (Zeiner) gave me room,” said Wagner. “We raced hard but we would never turn each other. I love racing with the guy.”

Kevin Rex Jr., came on strong in the final laps to earn second with Zeiner, Nevin George and 2014 track champion Kris Graver rounding out the top five.

After starting eighth, Wagner was running fourth by lap 51 and keeping close tabs behind the front trio of Matt Hirschman, Eric Beers and Lou Strohl.

It was right after a mid-race mandatory pit stop that Wagner got his big break. When the event restarted Beers edged into the lead over Hirschman, however, no sooner did he do so he then spun after being nudged under very tight quarters. Likewise did Hirschman and Strohl and afterwards all were relegated to the rear of the pack. Wagner averted the skirmish by quickly wheeling to the outside and was now the new race leader.

“When I got up to the top five I knew I had more than those the guys ahead of me. We made the tire change at the halfway break and I don’t know if the car was as good as it was before that but we still had a good piece. Ed Flemke up at Race Works built us a great car,” said Wagner.

“Circumstances did fall the way they did for us to get the lead but, we did race hard to get up there too.”

When the race went back green Wagner’s lead did not last long, however, as Eric Kocher out-raced him on the restart. Wagner would return the favor on a similar move two laps later and was now being pressured by Zeiner. Zeiner, who came from 18th on the grid, powered his way to the front at the completion of lap 74.

In what was a very even matchup as the next 50 laps became a dogfight between Zeiner and Wagner. Numerous cautions also played into keeping the action close as extended green flag runs were few and far between.

It wasn’t until the later laps that Wagner began clicking off his fastest times. Once he made his race winning pass Zeiner’s car began tightening up and he was unable to keep pace.

“We just got super tight there in near the end and over-used the car up. When (Kevin) Rex got me there at the end I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the car and it appeared there was a brake caliper sticking and that was making it tight on early entry,” said Zeiner.

“All in all we’re happy with the run. It was clean racing with Donny (Wagner). We may have bumped and banged a little but we would never take each out. I got him a little free a couple times but I let him straighten out because I just don’t want to win like that.”

In the final 10 laps Wagner held a car length advantage. At the same time Rex, as well as George, where both battling with Zeiner. Rex, made it up to second with three laps remaining but there was no catching Wagner at that point.

“He (Zeiner) was strong but the longer we ran green the tighter he got. I saw him shove in the nose and I saw that he had a little too much wheel in it and I took advantage from that,” said Wagner.

Heat wins for the 29 Modifieds checked went to Jimmy Zacharias, Austin Kochenash, who also led the first 14 laps of the feature and Hirschman. The split consi were annexed by Kyle Strohl and Bobby Jones.

Paul Koehler Jr., of Northampton was able to hold off a very determined Frankie Althouse and win the Late Model main for a class leading 41st time.

Koehler’s made his way into the lead only after early leader and defending champ Earl Paules got into a jingle with close running Mike Sweeney on lap four.

Koehler, who was third at the time, inherited the lead. The rest of the distance it was a solid battle between him and Althouse. Sweeney as well as Sweeney who hastily battled back through the field.

In the Pro 4s Bob Kibler Sr., was the benefactor of several lead car mishaps that helped elevate him into the number one spot and then go on to claim his first win in 11 years.

Defending champ Nick Baer, Bobby Kibler Jr., Bill Rooney and Cody Kohler all had a share at the lead but in on-track misfortunes all took them from contention. Kibler Sr., was in front for the final eight laps and won for the first time since April 24, 2004.

Harry O’Neill of Wapwllopen ended the seven race win streak of Rich Mutarelli which dated back to last season and in doing so took the Hobby Stock Opening Night win.

O’Neill took the top spot from Mutarelli on lap four and once in front he made it a race for second, going the rest of the way uncontested.

Because of time constraints the Street Stock and Dirt Mod features were postponed and will be made up in short order.

Modified Feature Finish (125 Laps): 1. Don Wagner, 2. Kevin Rex Jr., 3. Zane Zeiner, 4. Nevin George, 5. Kris Graver, 6. Todd Baer, 7. Chip Santee, 8. Eric Beers, 9. Austin Kochenash, 10. Eric Kocher, 11. Matt Hirschman, 12. Anthony Sesely, 13. Lou Strohl, 14. Paul Frantz, 15. Pat Verwys, 16. John Markovic, 17. Mike Quinn, 18. Kyle Strohl, 19. Bobby Jones, 20. DJ Wagner, 21. Paul Hartwig, 22. Earl Paules, 23. Jimmy Zacharias DNQ: Brian DeFebo, JP Curry, Calvin Carroll, Vincent Biondilillo, Terry Markovic, Neil Rutt III

Late Model Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. Paul Koehler Jr., 2. Frankie Althouse, 3. Mike Sweeney, 4. Jeremy Miller, 5. Jason Zatsko, 6. Earl Paulus, 7. George Ramos, 8. Geno Steigerwalt, 9. Jacob Nemeth, 10. Kenny Hein, 11. Jacob Kerstetter, 12. Francis Gross III DNS: Wayne Prutzman

Pro 4 Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Bob Kibler Sr., 2. Jake Kibler, 3. Cody Kohler, 4. Nick Baer, 5. Chad Miller, 6. Bobby Kibler Jr., 7. Johnny Bennett, 8. Kailyn Beers, 9. Bill Rooney, 10. Joe Pritchard, 11. Jason Muffley, 12. Alton Snyder Jr. DNS: Tyler Stangle

Hobby Stock Feature Finish (15 Laps): 1. Harry O’Neill, 2. Cody Geist, 3. Rich Mutarelli, 4. Tim Oswald, 5. Jeff Biegley, 6. Shayne Geist, 7. Bob Azarowitz, 8. Collin Bollinger, 9. Lindsay Buss, 10. Kyle Krempasky, 11. Ryan Green, 12. Ron Heeter DNS: Sam Dunniger

DinoOberto