PDA

View Full Version : 08/01/15 - Lee USA Speedway Report

RGeeProductions
08-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Rollins doubles up, Tombarello, Hoffman, Horvath, and Heath find Lee USA victory lane.

With just over a month left in the racing season, the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Supermodifieds, Late Model Sportsman, Hobby Stock, Ironman, and Pure Stock racers continued the chase for the 2015 championships at “New Hampshire‘s Center of Speed“ last weekend.

The North East Street Stock Tour also took part in Friday night’s event, with weekly Lee USA regular Geoff Rollins of Groton, MA closing out the night with a daily double, taking down the NESST win after outrunning four-time winner Jay Sands to post the Lee USA NWAAS Late Model Sportsman win earlier in the night.

Former champion and current points leader Tommy Tombarello, Jr. of Haverhill, MA continued his domination of the 2015 season in the Ekeys4cars Supermodified main event, charging up through the field after starting seventh on the grid to collect his fifth checkered flag of the year.

Opening night winner “Super Dave” Sanborn of Tilton brought the field to green, but he quickly yielded the top spot to sophomore driver Lance Barthelemy of Fremont, who is still searching for that elusive first win of the season after taking multiple checkers in his rookie campaign in 2014.

But Tombarello was having no part of that, motoring past Barthelemy to the lead on lucky lap 13, no coincidence with a full moon in full display in the sky over turn two. A couple of multi-car incidents slowed the pace of the main, but Tombarello was in charge the rest of the way, flashing under the checkers to score another impressive win.

Two-time winner Mike Ordway, Jr. of Fremont was next across the stripe to collect runner-up honors, with Barthelemy, Rochester’s Mike Spurling, Kyle Sawyer of Raymond, Sanborn, Leslie Keyser of Northfield, Jim Barker of Meredith, Artie Rousseau of Newmarket, and newcomer Jarrod Soucy completing the top ten.

There were lead changes aplenty in the R & R Public Wholesale Late Model Sportsman 30-lapper, with Waterboro, ME’s Ray Dinsmore first out to set the pace. Dinsmore was quickly knocked off the point by second generation racer George Helliwell of Pelham, who remained out front as the field reached the halfway mark. Rollins was on the move however, and he slipped past Helliwell to take over the top spot just after the crossed flags.

It was game on from there, with Hampton ace Jay Sands quickly moving in to challenge for the lead, but Rollins held tough until the checkers to post his second win of the season. Points leader Sands took runner-up honors, with Groton, MA ace Bobby Melvin scoring his first podium of the year in the third spot.

Fourth went to Helliwell, followed by Brentwood’s Jimmy Russell, Nate Leavitt of Buxton, ME, Jimmy Ryder of Sandown, “Big Steve” Paquette of North Hampton, Dinsmore, and two-time 2015 winner Frankie Eldridge of Stratham.

Jay Avery of Berwick, ME broke out from the pole to lead the way when starter Bryon Callen let the David’s Race Cars and Components Hobby Stocks loose, and he remained at the head of the field for the first 11 laps before giving way to Paul Palen of Pelham, a winner the week before.

Veteran Pete Evans of Berwick, ME followed Palen to the front, and the action got fast and furios from there, quite evident that there was a full moon over the night’s action. Points leader Dennis Dumas quickly joined the lead battle, and on lap 23, the tight action sent leader Palen into the turn three wall, ending his night short of feature win number three and bringing caution on the field.

On the restart, Dumas battled hard with Tewksbury, MA racer Brian DeStefano for the lead, but contact once again shuffled the order up front, as Newmarket’s Eric Hoffman slipped past the lead duo to take control. After losing a couple of features on the last lap earlier this year, Hoffman finally redeemed himself with a trip to victory lane when the checkers waved.

Avery scored his best finish of the season in the runner-up slot, with opening night winner Dave MacDonald of Tewksbury, MA third ahead of Kevin Bowman of Grafton, MA, Dumas, DeStefano, Evans, Palen, Zac Fraser of Nottingham, and rookie Trevor Randlett of Holderness.

Shane Horvath of Nottingham became the first three-time winner of the year in the Tri-City Line-X Ironman main event, taking over the lead from Epping’s Hannah Shaw on lap eight, and holding off a strong late-race challenge from former champion Jack Victoria of Northwood to post the win.

Horvath’s brother Evan collected his first podium of the season in the third spot, with defending champion Wayne Osborne of Kingston making it three Red Cup racers in the top four. Fifth went to Christin DeStefano of Tewksbury, MA.

Two-time 2015 winner Adam Knowles of Seabrook finished sixth ahead of points leader Troy Washburn of Farmington, Zac Washburn of Rochester, 2013 champ Travis Hollins of Milford, and Greg Brannan of Middleton, who rounded out the top ten.

Jamie Heath of Waterford, ME finally broke the stranglehold Pelham’s Jesse Tellier has had on Pure Stock victory lane since the start of the season, taking down the win in impressive fashion. Tellier checkered second, with Rob Carleton of Newbury, MA, Troy Smith of Bridgeton, ME, and Danielle Evans of Berwick, ME rounding out the top five.

Lee USA Speedway