PDA

View Full Version : 06/15/16 - Santos Snaps Winless Streak with Last Lap Pass at Thompson

RGeeProductions
06-16-2016, 07:29 AM
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returned to Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park on June 15th for the Thompson 125, the second race of four for the series at the venue in 2016. Points leader Doug Coby was looking for his eighth win out of the last nine races at the Big T. He started on the pole alongside Timmy Solomito who sought to repeat at the speedway after claiming his first series win during the Icebreaker in April.

Coby and Solomito would exchange the lead with series veteran Ryan Preece also in the mix for much of the race’s first half. However, pit strategy and a little bit of luck would prove to make the difference in the race as Coby, Solomito, Preece and others found themselves on the outside looking in while another familiar face, Bobby Santos, rediscovered victory lane after a 25-race drought.

Santos came back from a lap down after being penalized for pitting too soon early in the race and was there at the end to battle with two of the series’ brightest young stars, Max Zachem and rookie Matt Swanson, who took advantage of pit strategy to run up front for much of the second half of the event.

The trio survived a slew of cautions and restarts as well as a red flag with Zachem pulling off great restarts until he was faced with the most important one of the night with three laps to go. Despite his best efforts Zachem was unable to hold off a hard charging Santos who took the lead on the final lap before yet another caution ended the race.

Santos was ecstatic in victory lane noting that it has been over a year since he had celebrated a win in the series and credited his team with fighting through some bad luck and some tough situations to outrace and outwit the competition.

“This is huge. It’s not only the frustrations of this year, it’s the frustrations of last year too. It’s been a long year and a half to finally get back here, but nobody gave up and we continued to work hard as a team. It feels really good to finally win a race,” Santo said. “(On the last restart) I was excited that I was in fourth. I was glad that Max decided to take the outside – I knew we had a good shot at this thing, we just needed a good restart to get behind him, get up in second and have a good run at it. It wasn’t one of my prettier races, but I wanted to win really bad and we knew what it took to win.”

After the race, runner-up Max Zachem took the loss in stride and saw the opportunity to be out front, lead some laps and contend for the win as a step in the right direction for his team as they continue to fight for their first victory.

“I knew (Santos) was going to be the threat. He was the one I was worried about. We had a great car and I can’t thank my crew enough,” Zachem said. “We came in on that first caution and tried adjusting to make it a little bit better and it paid off in the end. We short pitted and knew we had to come up with a strategy because those guys are just so good. You have to figure out how to play your cards right and we did. We led some laps and we’re here to play.”

At sixteen years old young rookie Matt Swanson held on to finish an impressive third and said he was excited just to be able to even compete with bigger teams and more experienced drivers at the front of the pack.

“The first time I came over the radio with my dad and I was in third I said ‘wow this is really what it’s like to be on the front row’. I just had to get my restarts down. Me and Max had a really good battle and he just had a little bit of a stronger car and Bobby came on strong at the end,” Swanson said.

Patrick Emerling and Jeff Goodale rounded out the top five while points leader Doug Coby would recover from a restart violation penalty late in the race to finish tenth.

continued

RGeeProductions
06-16-2016, 07:29 AM
For the second race in a row at Thompson the Xtra Mart Limited Sportsman series saw a first time winner with Brent Gleason making a strong statement after starting in the top three and surviving several cautions to take the checkered flag. Gleason had to fight off a hard charging Ryan Waterman to take the checkered flag in the 20-lap feature. After his win Gleason reflected on his first ever Limited Sportsman victory calling it a moment nine years in the making.

“This means everything. It’s been nine years of hard work and a lot of struggle, heartache and money spent. To finally be here is overwhelming really,” said Gleason. “It’s amazing to be here right now. I had a feeling about tonight all year and we just kind of worked it out. I made a really good move, the two leaders got together and I just held on as long as I could.” Ryan Waterman held on for second with Scott Sundeen, points leader Josh Wood, and the winner of the June 1st event at Thompson, Phil Jacques, rounding out the top five.

A couple of streaks were on the line at Thompson as well with Keith Rocco and Dave Trudeau each working on earning their fourth consecutive wins in the Sunoco Modified and Mini Stocks Series respectively. Rocco was the first to take a crack at defending his hold on victory lane in Thompson and continued his strong season with another statement victory. Rocco said his fourth consecutive win could be a personal record for him at the track.

“We have all the right pieces. The car is in my shop, I’m the last one to touch it when it comes off the scale – With the new tire they went to if you have the right set up for the car it definitely sticks. It’s nice to have that tire under us and it makes for good racing,” Rocco said after his win. Ronnie Williams, Ryan Preece, Rowan Pennink and Woody Pitkat rounded out the top five for the 30-lap feature.

While Rocco celebrated the extension of his winning streak Dave Trudeau was not as fortunate in the Mini Stocks, but not for a lack of effort. Trudeau slowly worked his way to the front of the pack throughout the 15-lap penultimate feature of the night and engaged in an intense battle with Brad Caddick throughout much of the later half of the race. However the two drivers would find themselves with some extra competition as Wayne Burroughs, Jr. made a dive-bomb move from third place on the final lap to take the battle for the lead three wide, resulting in contact between Caddick and Trudeau. The incident allowed Burroughs to drive off to his first ever victory in the series at Thompson.

Trudeau and Caddick would roll across the line third and fourth respectively while Ed Field finished second. As his competition was left wondering what could have been Burroughs celebrated in victory lane with pride after one of the most exciting on-track moments of the night.

“(Trudeau and Caddick) are both hard competitors. I knew they were going to rough each other up a little bit, so I just hung back a bit waiting for it to happen and it happened on the last lap,” Burroughs said of the wild finish. “With a couple to go they started to beat on each other and I knew towards the end what they were doing. We got three wide going to the backstretch and I don’t know what happened after that, but here we are.” Despite the last lap incident Dave Trudeau was able to keep a firm grip on his points lead in his effort to defend his 2015 championship.

The Late Model Series started off the night with a dominating performance by Paul “Buddy” Charette who started up front and finished there in the 25-lap feature. Charette has had a tough start to the season but said he felt confident coming into the event and felt that if the cards fell his way he knew he could seal the deal.

“We haven’t had any luck all year and the guys have been thrashing on it and keeping it together for me. It’s been a really tough road to get here, but now that we’re here I just hope everybody knows that we did it. Nobody gave it to us, we earned it,” Charette said in victory lane. Points leader William Wall, who won three of the first four races of the season, finished sixth in the race after fighting his way through the field for the duration of the event.

Finally, the NEMA Lites made their second showing at Thompson Speedway this season with Danny Cugini picking up right where he left off at the Big T. Cugini remains perfect at Thompson this season in the NEMA Lites after winning both the Icebreaker weekend event and the 20-lap June 15th feature in dominating fashion to protect his points lead in the series.

Racing action returns to Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park on Saturday, July 9th. “For The Fans Night” event will feature the Sunoco Modifieds, Late Models, the second of three triple crown events of the season for the Xtra Mart Limited Sportsman and Mini Stock series respectively, the Lite Modifieds, Northeast Mini Stocks and more, with general admission priced at just $12.

NASCAR WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR THOMPSON 125 UNOFFICIAL FINISH (TOP-10): 1. Bobby Santos (Franklin, MA); 2. Max Zachem (Preston, CT); 3. Matt Swandon (Acton, MA); 4. Patrick Emerling (Orchard Park, NY); 5. Jeff Goodale (Riverhead, NY); 6. Ryan Preece (Berlin, CT) 7. Rowan Pennink (Huntingdon Valley, PA) 8. Brandon Buck (Franklin Square, NY) 9. Jimmy Blewett (Howell, NJ); 10. Doug Coby (Milford, CT)

LATE MODEL FINISH: 1. Paul Charette (Woodstock, CT); 2. Larry Gelinas (Buxton, ME); 3. Lloyd Anderson, Jr (Wauregan, CT); 4. Rick Gentes (Harrisville, RI); 5. Brian Tagg (Oxford, MA); 6. William Wall (Shrewsbury, MA); 7. John Lowinski-Loh (Milford, MA) 8. Nick Johnson (Rehoboth, MA) 9. Tom Carey, III (Orange, MA); 10. Brandon Warren (Chicopee, MA); 11. Marc Curtis (Brookfield, MA); 12. Jared Materas (Westfield, MA); 13. Jason Paquette (Canterbury, CT); 14. Matt Lowinski-Loh (Milford, MA); 15. Walt Sutcliffe (East Haven, CT); 16. Corey Fanning (Mapleville, RI)

NEMA LITES FINISH: 1. Dan Cugini (Marshfield, MA) ; 2. Ryan Bigelow (East Hampton, CT); 3. Jim Chambers (Atkinson, NH); 4. PJ Stergios (Candia, NH); 5. Chad Labastie (Uxbridge, MA); 6. Avery Stoher Lakeville, MA); 7. Anthony Payne (Fair Lawn, NJ); 8. Randy Cabrel (Plymouth, MA); 9. Paul Scally (Raynham, MA); 10. Jim Cataldo (Sterling, MA); 11. Dennis Potter (New Boston. NH); 12. Ben Mikitarian (Northborough, MA); 13. Jeff Locke (Raymond, NH); 14. Jeremy DeCourcy (Rodchester, NH); 15. Alan Chambers (Atkinson, NH); 16. Meg Cugini (Marshfield, MA)

XTRA MART LIMITED SPORTSMAN FINISH: 1. Brent Gleason (Griswold, CT); 2. Ryan Waterman (Danielson, CT); 3. Scott Sundeen (Sutton, MA); 4. Joshua Wood (Palmer, MA); 5. Phil Jacques (Dudley, MA); 6. Larry Barnett (Moosup, CT); 7. Al Stone (Durham, CT); 8. Corey Hutchings (Salem, CT); 9. Jack Aquilina (Oakdale, CT); 10. Frank L’Etoile, Jr. (Wethersfield, CT); 11. Ed Puleo (Branford, CT); 12. Troy Waterman (Killingly, CT); 13. Jeff VanPelt (Pawtucket, RI); 14. Ed Correia, Jr. (Raynhyam, MA); 15. Hank Stott (Medway, MA); 16. Dan Coutu (Canterbury, CT); 17. Tommy Shea (New London, CT); 18. James Bendiak (Hopkinton, MA); DNS – Randy Waterman (Danielson, CT)

SUNOCO MODIFIEDS FINISH: 1. Keith Rocco (Berlin, CT); 2. Ronnie Williams (Tolland, CT); 3. Ryan Preece (Berlin, CT); 4. Rowan Pennink (New Egypt, New Jersey); 5. Woody Pitkat (Stafford, CT); 6. Steven Kopcik (Newtown, CT); 7. Bert Marvin (Colchester, CT); 8. Adam Norton (Palmer, MA); 9. Jason Sundeen (Douglas, MA); 10. Andrew Charron (East Greenwich, RI); 11. John Studley (Framingham, MA); 12. John Catania (Agawam, MA); 13. Kyle Trainor (Marlboro, MA); 14. Mike Benevides (Westerly, FI); 15. Paul LaPlante (North Attleboro, MA); 16. Kyle Kafro (North Windham, CT); 17. Joey Parker (Weymouth, MA)

MINI STOCKS FINISH: MINI STOCK FINISH: 1. Wayne Burroughs, Jr. (Oakdale, CT); 2. Ed Field (Deep River, CT); 3. Dave Trudeau (Mansfield, CT); 4. Brad Caddick (Wyoming, RI); 5. Scott Michalski (South Killingly CT); 6. Steve Michalski (Brooklyn, CT); 7. Roger Ducharme (Foster, RI); 8. Nick Anderson (Oxford, MA); 9. Keith Ballou (Pascoag, RI); 10. Mitch Bombard (Willimantic, CT); 11. Brandon Fisher (Plainfield, CT); 12. Christopher Viens (Putnam, CT); 13. Eric Bourgeois (East Haaddam, CT); 14. Nathan Taylor (Brooklyn, CT); 15. Doug Curry Groton, CT); 16. Jeff Moffat, Sr. (Danielson, CT); 17. Nick Matera Warwick, RI)

Theresa Condict