PDA

View Full Version : 07/18/16 - Lee USA Speedway Race Report

RGeeProductions
07-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Rookie EKeys4cars Supermodified driver Dave Helliwell of Pelham continued his impressive freshman campaign on Friday night at Lee USA Speedway, taking down his third NASCAR Whelen All American Series feature event win of 2016 at “New Hampshire’s Center of Speed”.

Jim Lindquist was on hand representing Whelen Engineering for the annual Whelen Night festivities, and he presented Helliwell and all the other weekly division winners with their trophies, and Helliwell with a special medallion commemorating his win.

Helliwell gridded seventh for the 30-lap main event, and wasted little time starting his charge to the front, cracking the top five just two circuits in. Mike Keddy of Raymond was out front setting the early pace, with Tilton driver Jim Lowrey, Jr. in tow for the first eight laps.

Lowrey made his move to the lead on lap nine, with Fremont’s Lance Barthelemy following him to the front. Helliwell continued his march to the lead as the halfway mark approached, moving from fifth to third on lap 11, and taking over the second spot from Barthelemy just a lap later.

Longtime veteran Lowrey still held serve at the crossed flags, but Helliwell made quick work of him on lap 16, making the winning pass in impressive fashion. It was all “Hollywood” Helliwell from there, as the first-year super pilot pulled away to lead them under the checkers with a healthy 1.936 second margin of victory.

Lowrey was best of the rest for his second straight runner-up finish, followed by Barthelemy, Leslie Keyser of Northfield, Keddy, Kingston’s Moe Lattime, Kyle Sawyer of Raymond, Jason Phillips, Mike Spurling of Rochester, and Jim Barker of Meredith.

Another rookie made headlines on Friday, as Bedford driver Kris Miller took his first career trip to victory lane in the 30-lap R & R Public Wholesalers Late Model Sportsman main event, holding off the division’s top guns to get his first-ever Lee USA checkered flag.

Ray Dinsmore of Waterboro, ME led the first half of the event, but Miller was right in his tire tracks the whole time, and he moved past on lap 16 to take the point. Veteran Jimmy Russell took second from Dinsmore two laps later, but he couldn’t do anything to find a way past young Miller.

Points leader Nate Leavitt of Buxton, ME joined the battle up front late in the race, but Miller held his line and led the field to the stripe to score the win. Russell settled for runner-up, followed by Leavitt, Geoff Rollins of Groton, MA, Dinsmore, Frankie Eldredge of Stratham, George Helliwell of Pelham, Patrick Stewart of Georgetown, MA, and Steve Paquette of North Hampton.

Fremont racer Dylan Bilodeau captured his third checker of the 2016 season in the David’s Race Cars and Components Hobby Stocks, outrunning the field to easily lead them across the stripe at the end of the 25-lapper.

Jake Michaud of Lebanon, ME led the field to green, and he set the pace for the first five laps before yielding the point to Pelham’s Paul Palen. Palen stayed out front for a handful of laps himself, but Bilodeau moved past to take command on lap 10 and never looked back.

Bilodeau opened up a huge lead over Palen in the next dozen or so laps, but a lap 23 spin by Nottingham’s Zac Fraser and the ensuing caution flag brought him back to the field for a restart. Bilodeau had a strong restart to defend his lead, and he went the distance to post the win.

Palen picked up a second place finish, followed by former two-time champ Patrick Tanguay of Lebanon, ME, Boe Green and Ryan Green of Berwick, ME, Eric Hoffman of Newmarket, Jay Avery of Berwick, ME, Chris Harding of Lebanon, ME, Fraser, and Pete Evans of Berwick, ME.

In the special extra-distance, extra-payoff Tri-City Line-X Ironman feature event, it was James Witkum of Methuen, MA making a return trip to the winner‘s circle, successfully debuting a new car built in just a few weeks to replace the one he lost in a battle with the retaining wall back in late June.

Witkum battled his way through the field after taking the green in the tenth spot, taking the lead from defending champ Troy Washburn of Farmington just five laps from the finish in the 25-lap run. Points leader Ryan Pitkin of Lee was next across the stripe, with Washburn third at the checkers.

Fourth went to Mike Farrington of Northwood, followed by Jamie Holland of Somersworth, Kaycie Kustra of Lee, Anthony Nadeau of Epping, Travis Hollins of Milford, Chris Howard of Epping, and Luke Grammont of Nottingham.

Invader Greg Millett of Unity grabbed the win in the 15-lap MLM Diagnostics Pure Stock main, taking the checkers in his A&G Logging ride over points leader Tyler Mailhot of Epping, Kodi Sabins of Windsor, VT, Danielle Evans of Berwick, ME, and Jordan Rithodson.

Next up at Lee USA is the annual summer appearance by the Valenti Modified Racing Series featuring twin 50-lap feature events on Friday, July 22, along with the weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Supermodifieds, Late Model Sportsmen, Hobby Stocks and Pure Stocks.

Lee USA Speedway