PDA

View Full Version : 08/14/16 - Krause beats heat to win Wall Modifieds Saturday

RGeeProductions
08-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Young veteran stock car driver Andrew Krause beat both the excessive heat provided by the weather and the on the track heat offered by contender Derek Hopkinson of Toms River to win the 40-lapper for the Downs Ford Modifieds at Wall Stadium Speedway Saturday night. The Holmdel resident’s second win of the campaign was a turnaround as his chances of winning two big races recently were spoiled by a broken wheel spacer in the “Garden State Classic” and a broken wheel in the “Summer Scorcher.”

Because of his recent bad fortunes Krause started on the front row and took full advantage of the spot. Krause jumped to the lead early but was forced to battle Hopkinson every step of the way. A handful of cautions for minor incidents forced many double file restarts during the first half of the event with Krause and Hopkinson spending most of their time wrestling side-by-side around the third mile high banked paved oval.

The second half of the event calmed down as far as yellow flags went but Hopkinson still offered a stiff challenge most of the way. Jason Treat of Jackson posted his best finish of the season with an impressive third while Brick’s Shawna Ingraham recovered from a first lap spin to finish fourth and Willingoboro’s Zack Alspach was fifth.

“It was in the back of mind my all through the second half of the race,” Krause said in victory lane in regards to his recent issues with broken parts. “I just tried not to think about that and focus on the race. Derek was real fast tonight and kept the pressure on. He is a clean driver so I knew he would race clean but hard.

“I want to thank my mom, my dad, my sister and everyone who works on this car. They never give up and that really keeps me going.”

The O’Shea’s Auto Repair Factory Stocks were also in the spotlight in an extra-distance 50-lap race and defending champion Joe Mongeau of Brick took the win after passing teammate Richie Byrne of Howell. Ryan Flores, Scott Riggleman of Manchester and Scott Maher of Brick were third through fifth.

Former champion Kevin Davison of Howell won the first of two Snap On Sportsman main events. In the early evening 25-lapper, rain postponed from July 30, Davison took the lead on the sixth lap and fought off Tyler Truex of Mayetta and Brick’s Robert Sutphin for the win. Manchester’s Shannon Mongeau and Tuckerton’s Robby Walton wrapped up the top five.

Howell’s Jimmy Blewett won the regularly scheduled Sportsman 30-lapper taking the lead with 20-laps in. Truex was again the runner-up with Matt Langbein of Laurence Harbor, Davison and Jackson’s Blake Barney completing the top five finishers.

Two first time winners were in the spotlight after a pair of 25-lappers for the Surfside Collision 4 Cylinder Stocks were completed. In the first, rain postponed from July 30, Howell’s Brian Osborn took the victory over Beachwood’s Todd Pilla, Fred Cannock of Port Monmouth, Brick’s Ronnie Mullen and Mike Carr of Wall.

Kyle Scisco of Jackson won the regularly scheduled 4 Cylinder Stock main over Mullen, Osborn, Brick’s Jason Lane and Pilla.

Dalton Rovira won the main event for the visiting Micro Stocks.

Stock car racing continues this Saturday night (August 20) as the speedway presents “Champions’ Night” with many of the track’s past title winners on hand to meet with fans. On the track the Downs Ford Modifieds will battle in a 40-lap main event and the Snap On Sportsman cars will compete in a rain postponed 50-lapper. The Surfside Collision 4 Cylinder Stocks will compete in two 25-lappers and the Elite Maintenance Limited Late Models and the Green Flag Driving Experience Legend Cars will each compete in a 25-lapper. Grandstand seating opens at 5:00 p.m., qualifying starts at 5:45 p.m. and feature racing begins at 7:00 p.m.

The complete updated regular season schedule, which runs on Saturday nights through the end of September, is available at wallspeedwayracing.com as are the rules and regulations for all divisions. Post-season events, the “Spooky Spectacular” in October and the Thanksgiving weekend “Turkey Derby,” are also being planned.

Wall Stadium is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, the website is wallspeedwayracing.com and email address is CKMotorsports@aol.com.

THE END

MODIFIED FEATURE – 40 Laps – 1. ANDREW KRAUSE, HOLMDEL, 2. Derek Hopkinson, 3. Jason Treat, 4. Shawna Ingraham, 5. Zack Alspach, 6. Steven Reed, 7. Chas Okerson, 8. Ken Matlach, 9. Jimmy Blewett, 10. Eric Mauriello, 11. Shaun Carrig, 12. Jason Hearne, 13. Trevor Alspach, 14. Chris Reynolds, 15. Ron Frees

FACTORY STOCK FEATURE – 50 Laps – 1. JOE MONGEAU, BRICK, 2. Richie Byrne, 3. Ryan Flores, 4. Scott Riggleman, 5. Scott Maher, 6. Jerry Stanzione, 7. Neil Rutt, 8. Lee Allen, 9. Tom Rajkowski, 10. Matt Badessa, 11. Eric Bodenschatz, 12. Mike Montano, 13. Gerry Koenig, 14. Dave Green, 15. Joey Helberg

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 25 Laps – (rain postponed from July 30) – 1. KEVIN DAVISON, HOWELL, 2. Tyler Truex, 3. Robert Sutphin, 4. Shanon Mongeau, 5. Robby Walton, 6. Jimmy Blewett, 7. Ricky Collins, 8. Jonathan Laureigh, 9. Larry Thompson, 10. Blake Barney, 11. Dan Roslin, 12. Matt Langbein, 13. Joe Cocca, 14. Kenny Van Wickle, 15. Jimmy Wolcott, 16. Dave Bailey, 17. Dom Fattarusso, 18. Roland DeMartino, 19. Jarret DiGiantomasso, 20. Joe King

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 30 Laps – 1. JIMMY BLEWETT, HOWELL, 2. Truex, 3. Langbein, 4. Davison, 5. Barney, 6. Fattarusso, 7. Collins, 8. Van Wickle, 9. Laureigh, 10. Bailey, 11. Roslin, 12. Cocca, 13. Walton, 14. Sutphin, 15. Thompson, 16. Eric Lane, 17. King, 18. Mongeau

4 CYLINDER STOCK FEATURE – 25 Laps – (rain postponed from July 30) – 1. BRIAN OSBORN, HOWELL, 2. Todd Pilla, 3. Fred Cannock, 4. Ronnie Mullen, 5. Mike Carr, 6. Kyle Scisco, 7. Jeff Loesch, 8. Darren Burdge, 9. Darianne McLaren, 10. Jason Lane

4 CYLINDER FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. KYLE SCISCO, WALL, 2. Mullen, 3. Osborn, 4. Lane, 5. Pilla, 6. McLaren, 7. Burdge, 8. Cannock, 9. Richard Smith, 10 Loesch

Jeff Gravatt