PDA

View Full Version : 08/26/16 - Catalano And Faro Go Back-To-Back At Spencer

RGeeProductions
08-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Tommy Catalano became the first Sunoco Modified driver this year to win back-to-back features. He drove to victory last Friday holding off a charging Kevin Timmerman.

Mike Hyman cut his family vacation short and made it back in time from North Carolina to win the August 19 curfew delayed Auto Value 4-Cylinder Scorpion feature. For Hyman it was his seventh win of the year at Spencer in the Auto Value Scorpion class. In regular Auto Value Scorpion action an emotional Jack Gustafson won his very first feature at Spencer Speedway.

The Super Six feature saw Tim Faro also record back-to-back wins. The two back-to-back winners, Faro and Catalano, each have three feature wins in 2016 at Spencer.

Matt lees and Daryl Lewis Jr. raced side-by-side for a number of laps at the start of the 35-lap NASCAR Sunoco Modified main event. Unfortunately the yellow flew on lap four, when Mike Leaty and Matt lees went too high in the first turn and found themselves off the track in the grass.

The restart saw Lewis Jr. firmly in first, with Tommy Catalano now in second. The yellow flag again set up a restart. The caution flew for Damon Frutchey and Ricky Knapp Jr. Both cars spun off the third turn into the grass. Frutchey’s car was then towed back to the pits with steering problems.

This time it was Tommy Catalano taking the lead and Lewis settling back in second. The final yellow flew on lap 14 for a three car spin off the third turn involving Geoff Sharkey, John Semmler and Steven Link. Both Semmler and Link were done for the evening.

The restart saw Kevin Timmerman stick his nose in front of Lewis to grab second. He then took off after Catalano. Timmerman would try a number tricks to try and pass Catalano, but Tommy held on strong.

At the checkers it was Catalano followed closely by Timmerman. Lewis Jr., Amy Catalano and Mike Leaty rounded out the top five.

“I really did not want to see those yellows’” stated Catalano. “We definitely didn’t take it easy tonight, for sure.”

The Super Six 20-lap feature saw Andy Cocilova take the lead following a side-by-side battle with Adam VanHall. These two were able to distance themselves from the rest of the field until the yellow flew on lap 10 for Carrie Schoonmaker, who spun in the second turn.

Following a second spin by Schoonmaker two laps later, Tim Faro was able to grab the lead. Faro then set sail to pull out a ten car advantage over VanHall, who had his hands full holding off Allison Knoepfler. At the checkers it would be Faro followed by VanHall, Knoepfler, Barrett Schenk, driving the Brandon Allen #89, and Cocilova rounding out the top five.

“Before the race, I texted my wife about starting the feature in the rear of the field,” commented Faro. “She told me to be patient and she was right. We passed everyone to come from the back to the front. This car was really hooked up tonight.”

The make-up 4-Cylinder Scorpion race saw Jennifer Dennie take the early lead. On lap six Mike Hyman worked under Dennie in the second turn to take the lead from her.

With just three laps remaining in the race, Jacob Gustafson took second from Dennie down the backstretch. At the checkers it was Hyman with the double point win followed by Gustafson, Dennie, Dave Heimes and Maddy Virts.

“I never really knew just how far out in front of her (Dennie) I was. I knew I had to stay on it,” stated Hyman.

The second 4-Cylinder Scorpion feature proved to be a wild event, featuring numerous passes throughout the field.

Carrie Bolton took the lead at the drop of the green, but two laps later lost it to Dave Heimes, who out powered her going down the backstretch. He would lose the lead to Travis Montgomery and a pack of six cars battled at the front of the field.

On lap seven, Jacob Gustafson made the move of the race, taking the inside line into turn three he went from fourth to first. Hyman, who was running second for a number of laps, tried to catch Gustafson, but fell short. Maddy Virts charged into second at the checkers followed by Hyman, Montgomery and Heimes.

An emotional Gustafson said,” This race started off crazy. I did the best I could.” When asked if he knew Hyman was right on his rear bumper, he said,” I knew he was there. I felt him bump me a number of times.”

SPENCER NOTES: The kids had their chance this past Friday to race at Spencer. Kids bicycle races took place on the front straight following the make-up 4-cyclinder feature. Age class winner were Austin Leaty from Williamson in the 5 year old-and-under class. Mathew Lees, from Webster, took first place in the 6 to 8 year old division. In the 9 and older class it was Steven Habecker, from Ontario, taking the win….J. Cornell Heating, from Marion, held a drawing for two brand new bicycles. They also stepped up to help sponsor Mike Leaty for the evening.

Spencer Speedway will be hosting their final night of NASCAR oval action on Friday, September 2. A full program of Sunoco Modifieds along with Super Sixes and Auto Value 4-Cylinder Scorpions will take to the track. Racing will start at 7:30 p.m.

Anyone who brings their ticket stub back the following week gets a $3 discount off an adult or senior ticket.

It was announced two weeks ago that the annual awards banquet will take place on November 12th, at the VFW in Palmyra, NY. Tickets for the banquet went on sale last week. Tickets will be $35 per person. You can order your banquet tickets by contacting Lee DeRidder at the speedway 315-945-2691 during the work week.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester, NY, along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson. Spencer Speedway is the local “ NASC AR Place to Race” for Central New York in 2016. Points earned each week at Spencer are counted into the national NASC AR Whelen All-American Points.

For more information go to: www.spencerspeedway.org.

SPENCER SPEEDWAY SUNOCO FUELS NIGHT SUMMARY

AUTO VALUE 4 CYLINDER
HEAT 1: J. Dennie, M. Hyman, T. Montgomery, A.J. Montgomery, J. Bardo.
HEAT 2: D. Heimes, J. Gustafson, M. Virts, C. Copeland, C. Bolton.
FEATURE (15-lap double point feature): MIKE HYMAN, Jacob Gustafson, Jennifer Dennie, Dave Heimes, Maddy Virts, A.J. Montgomery, Travis Montgomery, Corey Copeland, Carrie Bolton, Paul Flye, Allie Montgomery, Kacey Hammond, DNS: James Bardo
FEATURE (15-laps): JACOB GUSTAFSON, Maddy Virts, Mike Hyman, Travis Montgomery, Dave Heimes, Jennifer Dennie, A.J. Montgomery, Copeland, Carrie Bolton, James Bardo, Allie Montgomery, Paul Flye, Kacey Hammond.

SUPER SIXES
HEAT 1: T. Faro, A. Schoonmaker, A. Knoepfler, A. Cocilova, V. Grant.
HEAT 2: B. Hallett, A. VanHall, C. Schoonmaker, B. Schenk, B. Inch.
FEATURE (20-laps): TIM FARO, Adam VanHall, Allison Knoepfler, Barrett Schenk, Andy Cocilova, Bill Inch, Van Grant, Ashley Schoonmaker, Chris Connors, Chris Hogan, Carrie Schoonmaker, Brian Hallett.

NASCAR SUNOCO MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1: M. Lees, M. Leaty, E. Hawkins, T. Hanbury, T. Catalano.
HEAT 2: A. Catalano, K. Timmerman, D. Lewis Jr., R. Knapp Jr., S. Link.
FEATURE (35-laps): TOMMY CATALANO, Kevin Timmerman, Daryl Lewis Jr., Amy Catalano, Mike Leaty, Tony Hanbury, Eddie Hawkins, Matt Lees, Ricky Knapp Jr., Geoff Sharkey, John Semmler, Steven Link, Damon Frutchey.

Gary M. Spaid