PDA

View Full Version : 05/20/17 - Kris Graver overcomes recent woes in notching Mahoning Modified win

RGeeProductions
05-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Frankie Althouse’s Late Model wins puts and end Mike Sweeney’s streak

In the first three races of 2017 at Mahoning Valley Speedway, Lehighton’s Kris Graver could have and maybe even should have won a feature. His No. 01 has been consistently fast but unfortunately luck, not the good kind, got the best of him and to say it has been frustrating is an understatement.

On Saturday evening Graver was again fast only this time he was not to be denied his chance to shine. Making an outside pass on Jack Ely with four laps to go, Graver notched his first win of the young season and 44th overall.

“Patience was definitely the key tonight. The car was great and my hats off to my grandfather (Kevin Graver Sr.,) my uncle (Kevin Graver Jr.,) and Jimmy Wismer for helping with the set-up,” said Graver

When the race commenced Joey Jarowicz set out as the early leader and for the second time in as many races the 16-year old was impressively showing himself worthy of handling a Modified as he firmly controlled the field over the first 22 laps.

Ely was running second by 12 and stayed close to the leader but was not able to make a serious enough stab at passing. Hovering behind the front pair were Graver and Bobby Jones.

The race was motoring along smoothly for Jarowicz until lap 22 when a caution waved due to a scary crash involving Rick Kirkendall who hit hard into the third turn wall. Although his mount was severally damaged, Kirkendall walked away from the scene under his own power.

When the race resumed Ely wasted no time in dashing past Jarowicz while Jones leaped to second. Ely and Jones then began a spirited battle as they fought closely for the front spot. Jones was looking very much like he could get by Ely but his efforts when for naught after a lap 28 caution thwarted his effort.

On the ensuing start Jones lost second to Graver who would then go topside and began moving in on Ely. As they prepared to complete the 30th lap Graver had his nose out front and would then stay there the rest of the way for the liberating victory.

“Jack (Ely) did a great job and he ran me very clean. He didn’t run me to the wall like it seemed I’ve been having to deal with of late,” said Graver.

“Bobby (Jones) was also strong as usual and Joey (Jarowicz) has really been impressive. For someone who has limited laps here he’s been doing a hell of job and he’s bound to get a win very soon.”

Austin Kochenash, point leader Brian DeFebo and Eric Beers completed the top five.

For Graver, the win was gratifying in more ways than one. His 2017 plans originally were to see him run on dirt but circumstances changed all that prior to the start of this year.

“I’m just shocked to be standing in Victory Lane again. I went from selling the car last year to no one buying it, then buying a SpeedSTR and ended up selling that due to no sponsors. I wound up back with the Modified and this win really makes all that frustration go away. Hopefully we can get a few more of these” said Graver.

For Frankie Althouse, it was just a matter of time in parking his Late Model in Victory Lane and all the time he needed was a mere 4:31 to go the nonstop distance for his first win of the season and in the process putting a stop to the five race win streak of Mike Sweeney.

Althouse took the lead at the outset and was in a torrid fight with Lorin Arthofer II as they went nose-to-tail and side-by-side lap after lap.

Not to be undone, Sweeney joined in with nine laps to go and would unseat Arthofer by the 20th circuit. But despite turning quicker laps, Sweeney could not make his way around Althouse who scored the upbeat victory.

“We actually started out pretty bad today. We came out for early practice and our lap times were off. We then put a new set of tires on the car and it helped out a bit but we still had to make some changes for the feature and we finally got it drivable,” explained Althouse.

“It helped that we went caution free because you always know Mike (Sweeney) is coming and the car got a little snug towards the end. He’s on his game right now but I know if we can get a little more consistent we and everyone else can give him a run for his money.”

It’s hard to imagine a driver as smooth and quick as Rick Reichenbach has been shut out of winning since 2010 but he put all that behind him after a thrilling win in the 30-lap Street Stock feature.

Throughout the entire run Reichenbach had to fend off one after another including that of Mark Deysher who gave him fits over the final laps. Although he was working the wheel of a loose car as well as the insistence of Deysher, Reichenbach never wavered en route to the long overdue verdict.

Mike Stofflet raced to his third Dirt Mod win. It was his toughest to date too as he had to work hard in taking the lead from Bill Sittler Jr. but once he cleared him he was able to ease on to his record tying 21st class win.

Jake Kibler notched his first Pro 4 win of the year and was quick to dedicate the victory to the late Ward Crozier Sr., who for years prepared his engine.

Trisha Connolly is the newest winner in the Hobby Stocks and it comes in just her third time in a feature race. Connolly inherited the lead from Mike Berger who bowed out under a lap three caution. Shen then did a great job during several restarts and in the end held off fast closing Michael Wambold for the unforgettable win.

Modified Feature Finish (35 Laps): 1. Kris Graver, 2. Jack Ely, 3. Austin Kochenash, 4. Brian DeFebo, 5. Eric Beers, 6. Bobby Jones, 7. Lou Strohl, 8. Terry Markovic, 9. Nick Baer, 10. Joey Jarowicz, 11. Don Wagner, 12. John Markovic, 13. Brian Romig Jr., 14. Ron Haring Jr., 15. Kyle Strohl, 16. Rick Kirkendall, 17. Josh Scherer

Late Model Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. Frankie Althouse, 2. Mike Sweeney, 3. Lorin Arthofer, 4. Kenny Hein, 5. Chris Anderson, 6. Jacob Kerstetter, 7. Paul Skodacek, 8. George Ramos, 9. Robbie Kutz, 10. Jeremy Miller

Street Stock Feature Finish (30 Laps): 1. Rick Reichenbach, 2. Mark Deysher, 3. Stacey Brown, 4. Jill Long, 5. Jon Moser, 6. Jamie Smith, 7. Steve Hoffman, 8. Corey Edelman, 9. Shayne Geist, 10. Todd Ahner, 11. BJ Wambold, 12. Eric Kocher, 13. Jared Ahner, 14. Randy Ahner Jr., 15. Joe Stangle

Dirt Mod Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Mike Stofflet, 2. Bill Sittler Jr., 3. Frank Parastino

Pro 4 Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Jake Kibler, 2. Kevin Stein, 3. Jason Finken, 4. John Bennett, 5. Jeremy Guerra, 6. Ken Reeder, 7. Kailyn Beers, 8. Tim Laybourn, 9. Tucker Muffley, 10. Tyler Stangle

Hobby Stock Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Trisha Connolly, 2. Michael Wambold, 3. Rich Mutarelli, 4. Jeff Biegley, 5. Devin Schmidt, 6. Al Arthofer, 7. Austin Beers, 8. Tiffany Wambold , 9. Travis Solomon, 10. Brayden Spencer, 11. Cody Geist, 12. Nicolas Kerstetter, 13. Justin Merkel, 14. Colton Perry, 15. Shawn Kistler, 16. Kevin Behler, 17. Avery Arthofer, 18. Ryan Berger, 19. Paul Effrig, 20. Lyndsay Buss DNS: Alton Snyder Jr., DNQ: Jay Visnosky, Jesse Strohl

Dino Oberto