PDA

View Full Version : 08/28/17 - Lee USA Speedway 8/25/17 Race Report

RGeeProductions
08-28-2017, 10:43 PM
The Lance Davis Memorial race for Late Model Sportsman was the featured attraction at Lee USA Speedway on Friday night year, honoring the longtime competitor who passed away suddenly in 2003 at the age of 42.

This year’s edition of the race brought a strong field of entries as always, with Stratham driver Frankie Eldredge not only taking home top honors in the extra-distance 50-lap feature event, but moving into the lead in the season-long points chase as well.

When the feature event went green, Eldredge wasted little time, making his move to the front in the early going. Frankie was in command from there, and despite some heavy pressure from George Helliwell of Pelham in the late laps, he held on to collect the win. Helliwell checkered second, with Jay Sands of Hampton taking home third place honors.

Fourth went to veteran Bobby Melvin of Groton, MA, with now-second place points man Bryan Kruczek rebounding from some early trouble to finish fifth. Sixth through tenth were defending champ Jimmy Russell of Exeter, Kris Miller of Bedford, Bill Helliwell of Salem, “Mad Max” Dolliver of Londonderry, and Erick Sands of Hudson.

The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series, Rodfather-sponsored Supermodifieds ran another non-stop feature event, putting this one in the record books in short order, with Steve Gran waving the checkered flag just seven minutes and four seconds after he showed the field the green.

Mike Murphy of Groveland, MA broke out from the pole to set the early pace, opening up a several car length lead in the first few laps. Murphy cut some quick times while the field sorted out behind, with Leslie Keyser of Northwood next to bust out of the pack.

Keyser set sail and reeled in the leader approaching the halfway mark, and he made a quick move to knock Murphy off the point a few laps later. It was off to the races from there, as Keyser led the rest of the way to collect the win, his second straight trip to the winner’s circle at “New Hampshire’s Center of Speed”.

Murphy scored his best finish of the year in the runner-up slot, with Kingston’s Moe Lattime, John Burke of Auburn, and defending division champion and current points leader Dave Helliwell of Salem rounding out the top five finishers.

Mike Keddy of Raymond came home sixth, with multi-time champ Tommy Tombarello, Jr. of Haverhill, MA, Rochester’s Mike Spurling, rookie competitor Mike Scott, and P.J. Murphy of Groveland, MA completing the top ten.

The David’s Race Cars and Components Hobby Stock main event saw polesitter Dave Langlais of Shapleigh, ME out to the early lead, but the race was quickly halted when the red flag flew for a hard crash involving rookie Jimmy Renfrew, Jr. of Candia and Center Barnstead’s A.J. Panessiti.

Renfrew spun through the infield in turns one and two, sliding back up onto the racing surface and collecting Panessiti, whose 2017 debut ended on the business end of a wrecker. Langlais picked up the lead when racing resumed, and he continued to set the pace through the halfway mark, with Ryan Green of Berwick, ME hot on his heels.

Paul Palen of Pelham was up from seventh on the grid and waiting in the wings, and with the laps winding down, he made his move to the head of the pack while everyone else scrambled for position. When the smoke cleared, Palen was first under the checkers, beating out Robby Bodwell of Sanford, ME by a mere .105 second margin of victory.

Green held on for third, with Brian DeStefano of Tewksbury, MA, Boe Green of Berwick, ME, Torrey Kovalesky of Atkinson, former two-time champ Patrick Tanguay of Berwick, ME, Jake Michaud of Lebanon, ME, and Langlais finishing up the top ten.

The Tri City Line-X Ironman competitors had double features on tap, having lost their feature event on ISMA night to time constraints. James Witkum of Methuen, MA was the man to beat all night, and he doubled up with two trips to victory lane.

In the heldover feature, Witkum distanced himself from the field on the way to an easy victory followed by

Jamie Holland of Somersworth, Adam Knowles of Seabrook, Travis Hollins of Milford, and Austin Elliott of Rochester. In the nightcap, Holland, Christin DeStefano of Tewksbury, MA, Jeffrey Battle, and Hollins rounded out the top five.

Tyler Mailhot of Epping scored his fifth feature win of the year in the MLM Diagnostics Pure Stocks, making a late-race pass on fellow Epping-ite Anthony Nadeau to score the victory. Brian DeStefano, John Boomhower of Epping and Jaden Curtis of Buxton, ME were third through fifth.

The NEAR antique racers were also in action on Friday night, with Tommy Trempe beating out fellow ‘60’s Mustang pilot James Allen for the Modified win, while Curt Snow returned to Lee USA victory Lane in the Sportsman portion of the program.

Next up at Lee USA is another special event on Friday, September 1, featuring Back to School Night, along with racing action for the weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Supermodified, Late Model Sportsman, Hobby Stocks, Ironman, and Pure Stock divisions.

For more information on this or any upcoming event, call the race hotline at 978-462-4252, log on to www.leeusaspeedway.com, or find us on Facebook.

Lee USA Speedway