PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Dragstrip ???

oldschool
04-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Rumor has it they have started to build a dragstrip in Brookhaven off Horseblock Rd. I passed the location the other day and there is definitely something going on over there. Does anyone have any facts about this?

Fkraft99
04-14-2005, 01:49 AM
I heard something about someone putting together some kind of proposal for a racetrack over there. Don't know what kind of track or any other real details. I thought it was supposed to be another racetrack, but I guess its possible it could have been a dragstrip.

allhailunc
04-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Being a long time Brookhaven resident I cannot see,for the likes of me, them allowing a track to be built. They are fighting that moto-cross deal on Horseblock now, why would they allow another track? Besides, who needs another drag strip, we already have the William Floyd Pkwy?

LongIslandJam
04-14-2005, 09:02 AM
And don't forget the road course of the Southern State Parkway... :lol:

allhailunc
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
And just what are our ladies & gentlemen that compete? Chopped liver?

Jeff T
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Steve Levy has stated publicly in the news that he has no objection to developing a NASCAR facility.
What I heard from a fairly reliable source is that "Yes", they are attempting to get a drag strip built in Yaphank. That's all the info I know, don't know who the players are. I brought up the name of a well known paving company owner/drag racer and I was told point blank he was not one of the named players.

I still contend that the Grumman Calverton property would be the best location for a new race track, straight line, circle track or both. Unfortunately, it looks as if town "Stupidvisor" Cardinale (however it is spelled) is liking the idea of WHAT ELSE- ANOTHER GOLF COURSE. Only have 10 golf courses in Riverhead now. Why not build another one?
(Sorry Golf Guy, I know it's your business, but you're a racing guy too! Come on...Let's build a race track for once!)

Let's keep this in mind folks- the drag racing guys are already out in the street, with nowhere to play, since they plowed under Westhampton. With what is happening out there on route 58 by the raceway, we could be in the same boat in the not so distant future. How about if we all let Mr. Levy know that we agree with him, and that we will support him, if he so chooses to try and gain support to build a race track. As much as we hate what goes on there sometimes, it's the last of almost 50 race tracks that once graced Long Island. Let us hope it is not the last.

unowho243
04-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, let's start a war boys!