PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Question/topic.......

racing#s
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
A topic on/in NASCAR is creating a stir.......Who will, or is, a bigger legacy in the history of NASCAR? We all know Earnhardt's career ended prematurely, but Gordon has accomplished many of the things and more than Earnhardt did. Earnhardt had 76 victories, Gordon just hit 71. It makes you wonder.....

Jones44
04-14-2005, 12:54 PM
There's no denying the fact that Jeff Gordon is accomplishing more in less time. Dale's career started to turn around in 2000, and who knows what he could have done had he driven through 2001 and beyond. Who knows what Alan Kulwicki could have done in 1993 (maybe Dale would have never won the 6th championship that year if Alan had the full season to defend). Adam Petty never really got the chance. You just will never know.....

allhailunc
04-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I look at it this way-whether you're a fan of Earnhardt's "balls to the wall" attitude or the finesse way that Jeff Gordon has made it to 71 victories (let's not forget the man that has more than the 2 of them combined, #43 Richard Petty), each and every guy who had put his fanny in one of those seats is a legacy, big or small. But if I did have to chose, I'm going with Dale, with Richard a possible also. :wave:

LongIslandJam
04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm going with Dave Marcis... The epitome of a low buck, let's go get em racer!

broz
04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Wonder what "Fireball" would have done if he hadn't had his career cut short. Yunick and Fireball were quite the combo :applause:
He'll get my vote :wave:

jewels
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
There might barely be a "NASCAR" without Richard Petty.

Fkraft99
04-14-2005, 04:33 PM
I was watching one of those post race shows, I believe it was Kenny Wallace who really put it in a different kind of perspective. When "The King" won all those races, 1. He was the only guy going to every race, most of the guys he raced against ran part-time schedules at tracks they were good at. And 2. Look at most of the finishes from his wins how many cars were in the lead lap, 5 to 10 a race maybe... It was just a different era. I don't like the guy, but it's hard to argue that Gordon isnt the best driver by the numbers. He's only what, 33? So I'd say there is a very good chance he'll break 100 wins, and that's in a time where there are like 10-15 cars that can win each race. And remember, if it went by the old points system, he would have locked up championship #5 last year.

Jeff T
04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
True, when Richard Petty was racing during his prime, he was racing sometimes 3-4 nights a week. NASCAR's Grand National the equivalent to being a traveling road show. They went from track to track, day after day, running in excess of 60 dates a year (the exact number varied and escapes me). It was comparable to the old Modified National Championship (before the Mod Tour) He won 200 races in all, and I imagine a nice portion of them came at a local short track where the GN visited and put on a show.
If you tried to run the same type of schedule today, Gordon might have had a chance to surpass King Richard in total wins. I have a feeling that he will eventually go beyond the 7th championship that both Petty and Earnhardt won, but I think that the 200 win mark will never be beaten.
One thing that comes to mind is this: When they talk about the records of wins and championships, etc., etc., they have always differentiated between the "Beginning of NASCAR" and the "Modern era" of NASCAR. When they talk about these milestones, will they all have asterisks beside them, say, such as this:

*Beginning or the NASCAR era (1951-1971)

** The Modern Era of NASCAR (1972-2001)

*** The Corporate Era of NASCAR (2002 and beyond)

Just a thought...

allhailunc
04-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Perfect way to do it Jeff-different eras-different styles of driving and without a doubt much different equiptment

Mike Fields
04-15-2005, 09:12 PM
I've got to agree with WJ (oh my God). What would have happened if Tim Richmond had lived to go on to a complete career before retiring? Although not one of the drivers I have ever met, he was always my favorite.