PDA

View Full Version : "Heaven Speedway"

racing#s
04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Man, NASCAR, or racing for that matter, has lost some incredible talent over the years. If there's a special place in Heaven there's some great drivers tearing up the place....Davey Allison, Kulwicki, Earnhardt, Bonnett, Irwin Jr, Petty, Fireball Roberts, who'd I forget?

Jeff T
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
IF you are talking Grand National/Winston Cup/Nextel Cup drivers, Tim Richmond, Tiny Lund, Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly all come to mind. If you are talking about ALL of NASCAR, there are some great short track greats that have left us too early also. Don McTavish (also ran the Sportsman division at Daytona where he lost his life), Richie Evans, Charlie Jarzombek, Corky Cookman, Fred DeSarro, Fred Harbach, and Jim Hendrickson top that list.

racing#s
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Out of curiousity,has anyone ever died at Riverhead from a race related crash?

RGeeProductions
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Rob Moroso

unowho243
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
What about Ernie Maynor, he died at Islip didn't he?

LongIslandJam
04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I say about 10 years ago, or a bit over that someone I believe passed away due to heart attack in the Modifieds. His daughter contacted the Jam a few years back.

Fireitinthere
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
there was a Mod driver who died of a heart attack while racing at Riverhead about 1969 or 70. I remember the track having a special race on a Sunday to raise money for the family. The drivers went through the stands with their helmets to collect the money in. The driver who collected money from me was George Brunnhoelzl Sr. They used his car as a pace car for the race, but I can't remember the guys name.

chris061
04-14-2005, 10:22 PM
A few years back, there was a mod driver by the name of Bill Quilligan, I think, he was having the race of his life and pulled in half way through the main, I remember watching the car sitting in the infield and when the race was over they realized he had passed on. To my knowledge, no drivers had died at the track, since I have been alive, in a "racing incident".
chris busick

Teds Race Tours
04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I believe Bill Quilligan died of a heart attack during a modified heat race. To my recollection, no driver has died while driving in a race car at Riverhead of a racing accident.

speedracer
04-14-2005, 10:44 PM
The Driver Who Died In Early 70's Was John Watts . He Had A Heart Attack Whlie Driving A Modified. He Lived Across The Street From Me.

Jones44
04-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Bill Quilligan somehow managed to get that car to the infield, out of gear and stopped, and if memory serves me right, I believe the throttle was hung wide open when they got to Bill. One of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting at Riverhead. Still have my autographed Bill Q. picture on the wall. :)

310fig8
04-15-2005, 07:37 AM
First, Ernie Maynor did pass away at Islip in 1982. I believe it was the second week of the season. He tangled coming thru the "X" and hit the third turn wall head on.

Second, was John Watts driving a Falcon bodied Modified at the time? I seem to remember a car climbing the old wooden fence just before the first turn and riding the top of the fence like a slot car around the turns until the top of the back stretch. The driver got out of the car and walked across the track to the ambulance, where he collapsed and died.

Mortgage Guy
04-15-2005, 01:19 PM
What about Walt Edsall? He was unfortunately lost at Riverhead..

speedracer
04-17-2005, 07:24 PM
310fig8: Yes, John Watts did drive a Falcon bodied mod. I don't remember the number.