PDA

View Full Version : the "bump and run"

art11758
04-27-2005, 12:26 PM
It seems in the ARCA race at Salem this past weekend, the finish was decided by a controversial bit of racing. The move and it's nickname have been around for a while and the fact that it has a nickname says to me that is has become a somewhat accepted manuver. The idea of "moving" another competitor out of the way seems unsportsmanlike to me. I am interested in other peoples opinions and what might be a way for sanctioning bodies or speedway management to discourage the idea. I tried to put a link below to the incident I am refering to.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/16462/

fastgal
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
It may depend if the competetor is running the track on you (going high, then low, or blocking) then it might be fair game. Most of the point contenders look at the big game and won't do something stupid to jeOpErdize their goal.

racing#s
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
As the late Earnhardt used to say, "You wreck me once, I'll wreck you twice". Mark Martin also said something very similar. He said that whether or not he's going to 'bump' someone out of the way depends on whether the guy in front of him has ever bumped him out of the way. He says, "race me clean, I race you clean, if you move me, I will eventually repay the favor ". I think that's probably the 'unwritten' rule as far as 'moving' a guy out of the way. It's all about who's in front of you, and circumstances. I think as far as a last lap deal, most would probably bumper the guy, or as Earnhardt used to say "rattle his cage"...lol.

Imperialblues
04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Ditto :) :) :) :) :)

racing#s
04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
What seems to be the latest trend in NASCAR is to stuff the guy, then apologize afterwards. Or, unless you're Shane Hmiel, you apologize with a finger....lol

Fat Albert
04-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Today they call it "the bump and run", in the old days they called it 'Dirty driving". And you were sure to be repayed at a later date.

Rich Johnson
04-27-2005, 10:09 PM
In my opinion...A good driver never lets rage effect their driving habits.
Thinking "payback" clouds the objective of racing.
If someone is banging on my back bumper...I let them by.
Overly aggressive drivers usually take themselves out anyway.
Some drivers use the "Three bump rule"

Bump #1 = "I am here"
Bump #2 = "Find a line"
Bump #3 = "I will find one for you"

RACINRICH

allhailunc
04-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Ah yes the Teddy Christopher rule

Jones44
04-28-2005, 05:41 AM
In my opinion, it depends on the situation. Pushing someone's LR quarter panel in the turn is a lot different then tagging them flush in the rear fender on the straight. Then again, if you're coming up on a slower car, I don't see anything wrong with that slower car doing everything in his power to block you.

hollywoodmic
04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I did not see the ARCA race, but it all depends on the finish. Looks to me like Frank Kimmel lost quite a few spots. I don't know if he was spun out or just moved. If he was spun or blasted totally sideways I don't agree with that. I don't have a problem with a driver riding a guy into the corner and bumping the driver up a groove to get a line. That of course after the driver in second has exhausted the inside & outside groove. If the spotter is driving the car and your choice is to move him or be moved, I go with the bump and run. There is a fine line though, if they get to them and just move them without trying to race them, then I have a problem with the bump and run. This thing could go back and forth for years. Bottom line it's all about the situation and the timing. Mike Skinner once said, " I'd wreck my Granny to win a Race " So it depends on the combatants as well.

art11758
04-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Y'know when I first went with this, I knew some Earnhardt references would come up. He is the first person I thought about when I read about the ARCA race. When he moved Terry Labonte out of the way at Bristol specifically. I'm still a Dale fan. I love watching TC drive.(a whole other post) The "chrome horn" has been around since before water. I think it has to do with patience versus "here I come". As noted though, every situation is different. I saw a bumper shot Sunday (at Stafford WMT race) with no ill effects, yet at first glance it seemed excessive. Then again I'm up in the stands, so what did I really see? Thanks for the opinions and thoughts.

DAN D.
04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
racin rich has a fair view of the protocol needed in negotiating a move. the worst is getting it HARD without any warning .