PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Rain Reports

RGeeProductions
05-07-2005, 08:18 AM
OK, 8:20am and it's crappy out there!!!

Current US Map (http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalWide.asp?loc=usa&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none)
Current Long Island Map (http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide.asp?seg=LocalWeather&loc=klga&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none&pid=none)

debbie33
05-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Its still raining and the forecast says rain all day. How long before the track calls it? I don't really feel like hanging out in the rain like last Saturday.

Imperialblues
05-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Well, lets hope the communication is better than last week.....

unowho243
05-07-2005, 09:20 AM
It hasnt rained here in islip Terrace since about 5 AM just really cloudy lets hope it stays that way

Turbo
05-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Light rain out here 9:25 .. doesnt look promising, again

unowho243
05-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Just watched the news. They said its sunny in Frmingdale and it's moving across the Island and later tonight they said MAYBE a chance of 1 or 2 LIGHT showers.

oldschool
05-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Medford, Clear, Sunny and 78.

michael
05-07-2005, 10:02 AM
10:00 light rain in Ronkonkoma :(

debbie33
05-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I live about a minute from the track and it is drizzling at my house.

figure849
05-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey J A most of us have computers, And when i am not signed on my i m goes to my cell phone. Is there a way that as a group word of the latest from Riverhead can go out to us all in one stroke of a key.

LongIslandJam
05-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Hmmm... Great idea Artie.... Usually we post if its rained out here on the Jam within minutes of the call.

But I'll look into other notifying methods, such as IM, e-mail, and perhaps news alerts via cell-phones.

I'll do some research.

Mike Fields
05-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Looking at the Riverhead weather, it shows rain moving up the coast that appears to be hitting that end of the Island. BTW, Waterford just pulled the plug on their show tonight--- for the 3rd straight week.

RGeeProductions
05-07-2005, 10:20 AM
BUT seems to be going offshore, it's the east moving cell I think going to screw things. Going out to pick up flowers for Mom's Day and ride to track and see what's up. Back about 12ish.

Fast & Legal
05-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Just got off phone with the track," As of now we are still running"

Charger25
05-07-2005, 10:42 AM
weather channel just changed it's tune. now rain is making it's way out of our area. going to be a cold day at the track though.

cuzzzy59
05-07-2005, 11:00 AM
As per the track..probably not call it as fast as last week..poss waiting till 1 pm or so....lets hope that the north winds keep blowing the weather out to sea............

Drumz1959
05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
doubt you'll see any racing today on eastern long island, now the national weather service says we'll also have steady 25 mph winds and gusts to 50 mph out here on the twin forks.radar as of 11 am (http://www.weatherforyou.com/cgi-bin/hw3/hw3.cgi?config=&forecast=pass&pass=local_radar_loop&dpp=1&radar_icao=kokx&hwvradartype=base&place=riverhead&state=ny&zipcode=11901&country=us&county=36103&zone=NYZ081)

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
05-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, it looks like were going to be running tonight and it will be cold and raw. I don' think anyone is going to be happy with the turn out, :disgusted the racers because it's a nasty day to be sitting in the pits :( and the track because no one will be in the stands. :eek:

racerwife
05-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Just spoke to the track #727-0010...The track is open as of now....Guy who answers the phone has no idea of weather conditions, he isn't at Riverhead Raceway !!!!
This was at 11:00. I guess we are all hauling just to go back home later.

Rich Mergl
05-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Don`t know what Old School Had for breakfast (Sunny 78 in Medford?). But it is still raining in Yaphank and 47 at 11:55 AM.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
As of noon, Riverhead is officially canceled. :(

slam1369
05-07-2005, 01:00 PM
rain out 5/7/05

RGeeProductions
05-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Boy!!! Everyone got REAL quiet here!!!

44chargerfan
05-07-2005, 02:29 PM
2:28 clear in ridge. 5 miles from the track. :confused: :help:

jimmy'z
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
This rain crap is out of control.... :D

Racer53
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Open up the track again... no rain for the past 2 hours 10 mins from the track... No heats, lets just go.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
haha, I wish, but I just got home, no way I'm driving another hour to get back. Lets just hope the rain is over and all weekends from now are 80 and sunny...

unowho243
05-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Deff made the Wrong desision by calling the race! Its been nice since about 1 o clock here in Islip Terrace.

LongIslandJam
05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Ahh mother nature is unpredictable Jim. Everytime you make or don't make a call it's a chance. Also keep in mind out in Riverhead is drastically different weather from other parts of the Island it seems.

I heard 50 mph winds were in store out on the Island too. I don't know about you, but as a fan it wouldnt be fun to sit in that.

Better weekends are to come, and don't worry folks. Your racing fever will be quenched. I got to wait until Memorial Day weekend, and believe me I got the racing itch big time:)

RGeeProductions
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I guess all you people complaining think that all is OK with the Cromerty's losing 3 weeks of racing profit. Let's move on. This is a business, and with not running, well hope you understand, more harder for them cancelling than us missing racing!!!

Drumz1959
05-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Good Post Rich................ I know at 12 pm today being in rubberhead, if i had to make the call I would have squashed it. The track was the big loser today.

RGeeProductions
05-08-2005, 08:42 AM
It was a tough call for them, it's their business. But they try to keep in mind the time it takes for competitors to travel there and call it in a reasonable amount of time. Seems like it could have gotten a show in if they started a little later then expected but it is a BIG $$$ chance. Oh well, look from the fan's aspect now, maybe this weekend we will be treated to 4 extended distance - double point features!!! We'll see what they do...

An idea :applause: .... Run 4 classes of time trials with consi's, and have the extended features made up with regular nights schedule.

maestri fan 1
05-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Well hopefully it won't rain this upcoming weekend. It stinks that they cancelled this weekend. I was out in Yaphank at my Dad's house after they cancelled the races, and to be honest, it wasn't even windy. A little chilly but sunny. Oh well, what are you going to do. There is always next week.

Golf Guy
05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
RGee the only problem I have with RH cancelling so early(and I also stated this last year when they cancelled and it wound up not raining) is that in the future if the weather looks bad fans(customers) may make other plans because they figure it is going to get cancelled? And I am not just talking about saturday, fans may start to look at the extended forecast and figure oh well it looks bad this weekend no way they race lets plan something else. When your a business owner you cannot just look at the short term gain, you have to also look at future ramifications of decisons made.

Jones44
05-09-2005, 10:10 AM
We took a look at the forecast and decided to head up to Foxwood's saturday morning. If we'd waited until the "official" announcement, we wouldn't have made the last sail. Personally, I'd rather a show get called prematurely when there's still a chance it might clear up, rather than sit in the drizzle all afternoon before being told to go home in the early evening.

Mortgage Guy
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree Jones.....(Wow finally).....I would rather not have to get all set to go, to then just turn around and come home wet and cold like a lost dog...I say good call by the track and we have all year for them to make it up to us..

Rich Johnson
05-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I dont feel they "owe us" anything...Extended races would be nice...
However...we would never get all the races in.
It was a lousy day and it is not their fault. like RGee said "It was harder for them to cancel then us to miss racing"
The thing that bothers me is...
If they miss too many dates, they will be more likely to consider selling out.

RACINRICH

MOTORHEAD
05-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Everybody is talking about the rain that did or did not happen, but nobody is talking about the 40 MPH wind that was blowing across the straightaways that would have blown most of the classes into the infield.

btgoss
05-10-2005, 12:37 PM
I had no intention of going out to the track last week, but I was out at Lowe's in Medford on Saturday morning and I think the track did the right thing.
Around noon it was looking like one of those days, where it will drizzle on and off, and make you nuts. So speaking as a fan, as much as I hate having races called for weather, better that they called it early.
Just remember how many times you have sat in the stands, or huddled by the hauler, while a little rain kept coming and going all day long, until finally, around 5pm, the show is called. So I think they did the right thing.

Golf Guy
05-10-2005, 02:59 PM
boy, oh boy...

Growing up playing baseball and golf and even now I am willing to wait out a little rain and wind to play the hobbies I love. Where is all the fight in the racing community when some wind and rain scares everyone away so easy?

racing#s
05-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I still to the day have people ask me at lights when I'm towing my racecar where I'm going.I think it's safe to say most of Nassau isn't aware there's a racetrack in Riverhead. An ad the size of a postage stamp don't cut it.

spier racing 93
05-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, How about rain tires? LMAO :D

Imperialblues
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Racin Rich, I personally don't think they will sell. If they ever do, they have to offer it to the Hawkins Estate first. The thing that bothers me is the car counts in all the support divisions. Losing Doug Wholey is a major blow. And the fact that they only had about 60 cars TOTAL for the last enduro,[thats ALL the enduros] is making me wonder.

RACENUT
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
What Happend To Douh Wholey ?

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I hate to start this but, did anyone see the forecast for THIS WEEKEND? :*-( They are talking about that 4 letter word again, (RAIN.) :disgusted I think maybe we should start racing on Mondays. That's when the sun seems to be around. :cool: Rain Rain, Stay away, all the big boys want to play! :applause:

LongIslandJam
05-10-2005, 11:05 PM
DOR 58, shhhh... If you don't think it, it won't happen. Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think...

allhailunc
05-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Heard the same thing JA and I'm thinking positive-as for your idea of thinking it won't happen and it won't i tried that once and wound up married :lol:

RGeeProductions
05-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Not sure where these reports are coming from BUT I haven't found 1 weather site yet that has rain for forcast this Saturday!!! Last night found 1 that said 20% but this morning gone to 0%. LET'S GO RACING!!!

maestri fan 1
05-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Well Rgee I for one really hope that the weather forecasts you are seeing are true. I NEED RACING.

DriveitinDeep
05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
it's now up to 30% with showers. This is getting stupid

btgoss
05-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok this might sound strange, and I do not know if the track could even do this, but I just read in one of the racing papers that New Egypt is going to run some Wednesday night shows. It seems that they have lost something like 4-5 shows this month to weather, and are going to add some shows to make up for the loss.
I would think Riverhead might have to do something like that soon, if they get close to the number of lost shows that New Egypt has, isn't the Weekly Series point money dependent upon a certain number of dates?
Well that is another question.
But how would you guys feel about running some Wednesday night make-up races? I don't think you could run all 75 divisions that the track is running now, you might have to pick and choose. But would anyone go to those shows? Both fan and racer?

(As for myself I would like a short Wednesday night show. Maybe just the modifieds and chargers or whichever division has the highest car count. Like they used to do with the Modified Tour. Late start around 7pm, time trial the mods, and then race, get it over by 10pm and everyone is happy.)

Brit

RGeeProductions
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
As I have written previously, it has to do with the Town of Riverhead and the days/nights and the amount of shows they can run, has to be applied for with the town. If they were able to, they would be running rain-outs on Sunday afternoons. I also mentioned previously, if the track could they would, it's a business and it's not making money if cancelling.

LongIslandJam
05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
New Egypt I believe already had some Wednesday shows on schedule. However they might be promoting them now in a way that makes it seems like you should go to them to make up for all the rain.

Riverhead asked folks a couple years back if they would want to race during the week because of successive amounts of rainouts. The overwhelming majority turned it down.

allhailunc
05-11-2005, 12:07 PM
just checked both Accuweather.com&weather.com and that nasty 4 letter word is in the forecast.for afternoon/evening up to 50 % chance.let's hope the 50 % stays in Nassau county

DriveitinDeep
05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Wednesday, Saturday,Sunday, whenever. Say the word, I would run any of those days or nights. I don't have a racecar just to have it sit in the garage.

Imperialblues
05-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Racenut, Doug Wholey got into a major argument with the chief steward and said he's done at R.R..I saw and heard everything that went on that day. He pulled his sponsorship from the track and said he was going to have his sponsors pull out too. Tell you the truth, I'm very concerned. With all the drivers that are leaving, and the rain, it doesn't look too good for the future. :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-(

allhailunc
05-12-2005, 05:36 AM
just checked weather.com 50% chance of thunder boomers most of the day.this truly sucks.being held "hostage" at home with the "ball&chain"&Jones44 is getting to be quite harrowing(lol).Anyone up for a Foxwoods trip? :lol:

art11758
05-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Y'know, Stafford has run every week so far this month. Granted they run on Friday night, but if you are willing to travel, its worth the trip. Then stay over and go to Foxwoods.