PDA

View Full Version : Track Improvements

speedracer
05-15-2005, 07:37 PM
My first visit to the track this year I saw the new wall in turns 3 and 4 . I also noticed new walkway from turn 3 and 4 . The area set aside for sponsor tables. But the one thing that stood out most of all was the beautiful lettering on the walls. What did they have a preschool class do it? I think my 7 year old son could have done a better job. What does it take to the job right, A couple of $$$$. I think they charge enough to get in to do the job in a professional manner.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes the pavers came out beautiful and are a nice improvement. The NASCAR Dodge one was free hand I believe. The stencils weren’t there yet, they probably will be redone but I happened to like the Riverhead Raceway writing one, the color isn’t my favorite but not much choice there...

LongIslandJam
05-15-2005, 09:26 PM
With all the improvements made, I hope the lettering is redone as it doesn't appear too well from the pictures I saw. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say. I just prefer the stenciled look myself as it presents itself with a cleaner look. Just my opinion though.

RGeeProductions
05-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Think of the winners pictures going to the trade papers!!!!

broz
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh please, they have had 3 rain outs and ALL winter to get stencils? And money? Don't even go there, they have it! :mad:
Can't wait for the people from the "Tour" to see this :applause:

It looks VERY unprofessional.

The only track left on the Island deserves better than this :mad:

Sean Ambrose

debbie33
05-15-2005, 09:39 PM
To me it reminds me of something you would see written on a high school homecoming float. It just looks TACKY, if stencils weren't available they should have just left it plain white paint. I don't think anyone would have noticed it was missing.

WEEZER
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I have to agree about the lettering on the wall, pretty bad, very getto and the worst I've seen in the last 10 years, but in all due credit, the new brickwork through out the track is VERY nice.

unowho243
05-15-2005, 10:09 PM
The brick work does look very nice!

As for the Letters on the walls..... No comment

modified_fan
05-15-2005, 10:18 PM
I purposely took a slow walk about the facilities between the 8 and LM features.

I'll grant you all that the wall lettering left a little to be desired.........BUT....... all in all considering I'd like to give credit to whatever powers that be for making the place look pretty nice with the new walkways and brickwork.

Thank God we have a racetrack left on Long Island!

Jaws
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Must have been a good night. A few compliments on the Jam!!!

And the best complaint you can come up with is bad lettering on the walls? A couple of weeks of racing and they will rub it off!!! ;)

Plus I don't think the lettering on the walls is keeping away the fans.

Maybe the $20.00 + each week admission and the price of food and beverages might have something to do with that!

By the way how was the crowd? From the look of the pictures on the Jam they didn't make a killing at the front gate! (and what was admission last night?) :eek:

RGeeProductions
05-15-2005, 10:59 PM
The pictures that are up so far are heats and stands were as normal at that time of show. Most fans seem to come around 6ish for the features. About 8pm, the stands looked good to me, seats were available but not bad. MUCH more than pictures up as of now. [still doing as I write]

allhailunc
05-16-2005, 05:41 AM
I do have to add here that they new walkways are great(although that area coming out of turn 2 could use some filling in-gets a little "harrowing" walking over there when fans are sitting near the fence).also like those new stone layouts-very nice indeed(also serves as one hell of a bit of advertising).but i do have to reply about the new "lettering".I thought that "Riverhead Raceway" sign was funny but when I went around to sit I actually had to ask my son if my eyes were failing me.That "Dodge series" sign is something else.Hand lettering isn't the answer :rolleyes: (Looks like Clyde the orangutan )change that before the Tour comes into town-does not look professional by any stretch of the imagination.evertything else aside I like the way the whole thing looks :applause:

DAN D.
05-16-2005, 08:33 AM
I hope , well I know that all this comments about the lettering and walk ways are all constructive criticism. Hello!!!! only oval race track left on Long Island.. which we all know. And I would like to think that somehow through the grapevine that the powers to be at Riverhead will take these comments as constructive criticsm and NOT BASHING the track. BTW going 80+mph you really don't not notice the lettering(well at least I didn't yesterday). Maybe the stencils can be found at Lowes or HomeDepot...LOL .
Glad we got in a full day and night of racing .
When is the tour race ??? :confused: :D

art11758
05-16-2005, 08:39 AM
First WMT show is June 4

Imperialblues
05-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, we'll see what happens. I saw WMS race director, Joe Larsen walking around the pits Sat. :-|

LongIslandJam
05-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Ok one suggestion with all the aforementioned. I know some tracks have a cleanup party in the beginning of the year. This could be a great idea for Riverhead to induce some spirit into it's loyal fans and competitors and help groom the track into shape. We got a bunch of tradesmen in our community, and I'm sure everyone would be willing to help out and even with stencils. You may ask, why haven't people volunteered before? Maybe because they never thought they could and this could get them involved with the track and feeling like they have a part in it. Just a suggestion.

RGeeProductions
05-16-2005, 09:36 AM
And I would like to think that somehow through the grapevine that the powers to be at Riverhead will take these comments as constructive criticsm and NOT BASHING the track.
DITTO !!!!!!

DAN D.
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
one suggestion
cleanup party
great idea
some spirit
Just a suggestion.

it is a suggestion, but I think that by suggesting what you did ..is saying that the track is NOT into shape.
I agree that there should be a joint efforts day to do a BBQand a "TOUCH UP " here and there ,, NOT that the track is unkept or in disaray. but for the general principle of getting the Riverhead Racing Community together other than a Saturday when its competitive mode for most .
Also what comes into play here Is a thing what most might not think of ...Liability.. God forbid someone gets hurt, doing a chore, task etc.. when you have this "DAY" where does the Liability fall????
So in closing on my behalf Let Riverhead Raceway and its autorities handle the track the way they feel fit , and there is always room for improvement with all things in life . So construtive comments, idea, are a plus to the open minds... :)
And I know JA had no Mal thoughts or comments about the track.
and DITTO to RGEE's DITTO?????

LongIslandJam
05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Yep, liability is something I thought of too Dan... And unfortunately that's what ties up many great ideas. Maybe some day we can live in a world where we're not afraid of the folks that enjoy your product/service won't sue you for stupid stuff. I.e., look at the Wendy's finger case. Sure, the person who claimed the suit was found in the wrong, and in fact arrested, but the losses Wendy's have suffered will never be recoverable.

And I agree... My suggestions are not made in anger, but as a friendly suggestion. Just looking for ways to help the track.

Mike Fields
05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
J.A., that certainly gives new meaning to 'giving someone the finger'...

racing#s
05-16-2005, 02:10 PM
I wasn't there 'live' to see the wall. But,because of the Jams great picture coverage you can see it in the backround of most of the victory pictures presently up,(If you want to see it for yourself).

LongIslandJam
05-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I talked with Billy and he told me that it will be repainted in the near future. Did the writing come out as people wanted it to? NO. But it will be repainted. Don't you guys worry. Remember, everyone that works at Riverhead has a day job, whether it's a track official or race car driver, this is not a living for anyone.

Bottomline is, it will be fixed.