PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping

Wheel Racing
05-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Please refresh my memory on how handicapping is based for the first 3 weeks this year. I know they made a change, but I forget what it is. Thanx

RacinRob
05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Im not 100 percent sure but I believe it's based on winnings. Drivers with the least accumulated winnings in the last 3 weeks start up front? i dont know but thats what i was told.

LongIslandJam
05-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Winnings I believe is the "old method." For the past half-year they have been based on points. I'll find out the exact method for you.

Tracy87BB
05-17-2005, 11:55 AM
The way I understand it is this...
For Opening Night, drivers are handicapped on HANDICAPPED points earned last season (this means...if you missed a week in '04, take your points total for the season and add 50 points for your no-show). Only drivers who were present for at least half of the races last season are eligible to be handicapped for Opening Night.
For the second night of the season, the slate is wiped clean and drivers are handicapped on points earned Opening Night (the only exclusion to this is rookies, who still have to put in their 3 weeks in the rear).
For the third night, handicapping will be figured on points earned in the previous two weeks.
Beginning with the fourth race of the season, regular handicapping rules apply, and handicapping will be based on points earned in the previous three weeks.
I don't know if it applies to all divisions, but I know the BB drivers were told that any driver who wins a race will automatically be positioned as the last car ahead of the consi cars for the feature the following week (i.e., in the BBs, if 7 cars are taken out of each of three heats and then four cars come out of the consi, the driver who won the previous week will start 21st). I don't actually know how this rule will work for the race this week as far as rookies go...I know that, in the BB division, if last week's winner has to start 21st this week, it will put something like 6 rookies in between him and the car that finished 2nd last week.
I am pretty sure that this information is accurate (if someone else has a different understanding of it, feel free to correct me...I've been doing handicapping for a while, but I haven't been at the track this season - and don't expect to be there any time soon - and I know that things can change). Hope it helps.

LongIslandJam
05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Tracy, you're pretty much right on track.

Here's information straight from Judy Bonsignore - Riverhead Handicapper

*Handicapping is based on last years total points for the first week as long as you have run 50% of the shows.

*2nd week is based on 1st weeks total points.
*3rd week is based on 1st and 2nd weeks total points.
*4th week is base on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd weeks total points.
*After the 4th week we are on a 3 week total point rotation cycle.

*Points are straight across the board. 50 for 1st 48 for 2nd , etc…..
For handicapping purposes only, we will not be including double points.
Example: Dan Turbush won last week. For handicapping purposes, the is credited with 50 points even though it was a double point show.

Thank you Judy for submitting this info. It's appreciated!

Anybody that has any further questions, don't hestitate to contact Judy at the track. She's one of the most approachable officials and willing to help you out to understand.

Thanks once again,

LongIslandJam
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
One more addition.

Tracy was also right about winners...

If you win a feature, you will be put 1 spot ahead of the consi qualifiers the next week (no matter how your handicap points are).

Mrs.EC
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
First I want to say "Thanks" to Judy B. for putting the time & effort in creating a handicap program that I feel will benefit all. I asked Judy B. & she explained to me how they are handicapping this year. This is how I took it to be. All divisions will be based on points not $$. If I am incorrect with any information, A)I apologize ahead of time B)let me know what I typed incorrectly.

For Opening nite: Point total for Last season. This includes any night a driver was a No show (50 pts) or Did not qualify (0 pts). **Any Driver who took less than 50% of green flags (warm-ups count) & **rookies will start in the rear for 3 weeks (that hasn't changed) (**Must complete 3 weeks in rear before they can be handicapped normally with the field)

Opening nite: Point total for Last season-Line-up lowest to highest points
(excludes-less that 50% drivers from last season & rookies-lined up in rear as usual)
2nd week-1st nite points only (50% & rookies see above)
3rd week-1st & 2nd nites points (same as above)
4th week all drivers will be lined up by 1st, 2nd & 3rd weeks points
Rest of season 3 week point rotation

Line-up lowest to highest points.
If Driver is a No show-50 pts.
If Driver does not qualify-0 pts (must take a green flag in warm-ups or heats)
Double point race-For handicapping only will be regular points. (50,48,44 etc)
Winner of race- For the next race driver will start last of heat qualified cars (before consi cars & I think rookies too-only for 3 weeks)
Winner-can not start above 5th in features for the rest of the season.

Wheel Racing
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanx. Now I can make my BIG $$ calculated Top 5 picks with some thought behind them. :p