PDA

View Full Version : Mike Ewanitsko to return

Jaws
05-23-2005, 09:09 PM
I think this is the news that everyone was wanting to hear. Mike Ewanitsko will make his return to the Whelen mod tour in August. :applause:
I spoke to Ed Whelan today and he will be driving an Ed Whelan owned modified. He will return at Stafford or Thompson (Sorry he probably will not be at Riverhead) Mike's health issues will be resolved shortly and he will be 100% ready to go racing.

Welcome back Mike.

RacinRob
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
this is great news, but which car does Ed Whelan own?

Jaws
05-23-2005, 10:39 PM
He used to own the 17 that Mike drove. When Mike stopped racing they sold all the equipment. They are in the process of buying new equipment.

Don't know what # as the 17 never changed the # on the car after he bought it.

Maybe 36 if its not taken

maestri fan 1
05-24-2005, 11:02 AM
This is wonderful news. I know I will do anything in my power to be at his first race.

CENTERXRACING
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Sorry to let everyone down, but the rumors are not true. I spoke to a few people close with Mike and he will not be back anytime soon. He has not had his surgery as of yet and any comeback will have to wait until at least March of 2006. :(

Jaws
05-25-2005, 12:03 AM
I would not have posted it unless I was sure.

Ed Whelan will own the car and Mike will be driving.

maestri fan 1
05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Well I wonder who is right because the last person I spoke to said that from an extremely reliable source, He heard Mike will not be back. I Wonder!!

LongIslandJam
05-25-2005, 12:50 PM
From the sounds of all this, I can ascertain this much. Mike would love to come back and is hoping his new surgery can make that possible. But I'm not so sure the odds are with him. That's the question. I guess we will see is the bottomline.

Mortgage Guy
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
There is a post from Mike himself on MSS talking about coming back but I am not good at the whole link thing, so if someone wants to go find it and post it then do so...Looks like whoever started this post (Jaws I think) got it from a pretty good source being Mr Whelan himself..

Mortgage Guy
05-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Hey Jaws, check your PM.........You've got mail.

btgoss
05-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Someone had posted a quote from Mike's statements to MSS. So it does seem that he wants to come back. I thought he said he wanted to be back next year, but I am sure if he can get things together he would like to be back this year.
My understanding is that he has cataracts as a result of his diabetes. The surgery to remove cataracts is not the uncommon, and is done as an out patient procedure. My grandmother had it done and was back driving within a week. That being said, I guess it is possible for him to come back, I just hope he gets his diabetes under control so that they don't come back.
I am dealing with cancer, so I know how medical issues can wreck your "normal" life, so I wish him well in getting his racing back in his life.
That one year he almost won the ROC at Flemington was amazing, perhaps the second best modified race I ever had the pleasure of seeing. (Behind that classic Charlie J - Richie Evans duel at Islip in the late 70's.)
btgoss

luvmods
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Jaws, unfortunately, your source is incorrect. As a family member of Michael's, I can assure you (as can Michael) that he is NOT returning any time in the near future. 2006 would be the earliest if at all. Sorry to disappoint everyone.

Jaws
05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Luvmods,

Mike was at Stafford last night telling all the papers about his return. :applause:

Read about the details from Mike himself this week.

I woudn't have written my original post unless I had it from a very good source.

Mortgage Guy
05-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Lets put this to rest.....Mike will be back at latest 2006...That he is coming back at all is amazing, so when it happens shouldn't matter... I know I will have a ticket for that race, whenever it is...Go get um Mike and tell Ed to call John Fortin, he has a race setup for sale..

Jaws
05-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I agree!

Whenever Mike comes back, we will all be there. :)

(But come back soon!)

Captain History
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Mike racing the #23 Chevette that he ran from 1984-1985...... Ahhhh, the memories......

Jaws
06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
:applause: For the words out of Mikes mouth go to Mod series scene forum and click on the link for Mike's interview.

Very good stuff!! :applause:

PS: I was correct!!! LOL!

LongIslandJam
06-02-2005, 08:03 PM
More on it from YankeeRacer.com

http://www.yankeeracer.com/news/2005/news050601i.htm

maestri fan 1
06-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I think the big thing is that they should'nt rush anything. Just let Mike get back to full health then worry about race preparations. I really hope he comes back he will make racing in the northeast wonderful.

P.S. Good luck on the surgery Mr. Ewanitsko, hope all goes well, and hope to see you back on the track.

btgoss
06-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Wasn't that #23 also fondly known as the "kosher"-vette?

I don't think he ever won in that car, but I might be wrong. I seem to remember him being really fast, but not all that careful in that car, but he was still very young. (And I could be wrong about the not winning part.)

I hope he makes it back to Riverhead for that tour show. I am planning on being there, and having him there would be good.

Captain History
06-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Mike won his first Modified feature in 1986 driving his #36 Cavalier.

Jaws
06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
And that will be his number when he returns. It has been officially claimed by Ed Whelan for his 2 new Troyer cars. :)

art11758
06-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Mike was by the C & C Motorsports trailer early in the evening Saturday. It was good to see him.