PDA

View Full Version : yaphank complex

mod fan99
05-26-2005, 04:39 PM
would like to hear what people think about the racing complex in Yaphank.Go to www.topgunse.com to find out the info.

LongIslandJam
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
From the sounds of it they are aiming high, but I remain skeptical of their plans.

3/4-mile racetrack? No road course? How about all the stranded SCCA guys on the Island? 3/4-mile, isn't that too big for weekly racing? I have some major issues with their focus. They are aiming for Cup and I feel they will be disappointed.

rocket
05-26-2005, 05:21 PM
3/8 mile inside the 3/4 for the weekly racers. Check ps3 post on their site, he seems to be the man. :) :)

LongIslandJam
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Ok cool.

How about the road course though? I feel they could really make a killing catering to road racers around the country. Imports are really what's is of interest to the youth (16-24) and road racing caters to that.

BWR
05-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I'M all for it but......It will never get going.The people of this township will stop it . :mad:

allhailunc
05-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Like many things, it looks good on paper. Until ground is actually broken (being a Brookhaven resident for many, many years, I doubt it will happen) this is just another "pipe dream". I bet the West Side Stadium will be built and host the NY Jets in the Super Bowl before this idea ever hits the ground. But then again, we can hope & wish, but like my father used to say, "Wish in one hand & piss in the other, and see which one fills up first". :rolleyes:

Hollywood
05-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Now Walter,

tsk tsk......some of us in the "Hamptons" do like rough sports....
:D Maybe not all of us but some of us.... :-B

oldschool
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
It looks like they have spent quite a bit of money so far. Theres a petition everyone can sign on theIr website to show our support. Being I heard that PC Richard's is looking at the Riverhead property, we should all hope for something. No one will get a nascar sanction without the CromArty's blessing. Maybe this is all part of the big plan.
Good Luck to TOPGUN.

Mike Fields
05-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I spoke this morning with Neil Rosenberg, the Vice President for Corporate Developement at Topgun. He was very impressed with the amount of people that came on to sign the on-line petition, as well as the amount of people that were directed to his site from the Jam.

He wanted me to encourage as many people as possible to log on to their site at www.TopGunse.com and sign that petition.

The only negative that he had was the amount of people that sent him messages stating that 'we've seen it all before". Of course I told him that you couldn't argue with statements such as those.

Neil and the people that he is working with, hope to have a "shovel in the dirt" (ground breaking) within 1 1/2 years.

Much of what he told me is off the record. However, the little bit that he allowed on the record I'll have in next week's column.

allhailunc
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Mike-I wish I could have your enthusiasm. However, that the whole area has been "designated" as a couple of things in the past, and they have all been "shot down" (talk about Top Gun- :lol: ). Call me the eternal Doubting Thomas, but knowing the area & knowing the politics that go on, I personally do not see this coming to light. Hopefully, I am wrong, but taking from past examples, I don't know.

jimmy'z
05-27-2005, 01:14 PM
SCCA would be nice !
I seriously hope (and knowing Long Island's reputation of squelching any semblance of public entertainment without a gratuitous handout to the local goverments ) that one day something will end up there.
Imagine what the 'Head would do!? Lower entrance fees? Pave the parking lot? :D

LongIslandJam
05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
On the topic of competition Jimmy,

It's not all that is is cracked up to be. Look at the Chemung-Tioga feud. You lost one track (Tioga is closing after this year), and Chemung nearly went bankrupt and had to be bailed out with a new owner. The Southern Tier of NY nearly lost all asphalt racing and that would have been a huge travesty considering many Cup racers such as the Bodines and Spencer came up through that area.

Be careful what you wish for. It's my hope that any new track on the Island works with existing race facilities so they can peacefully coexist. Is competition inevitable? Yes... However, when it gets out of hand, no one wins. :(

allhailunc
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Newsflash-if this "thing" ever does happen you can bet yer sweet bippy that Tanger will expand beyond your wildest dreams. 2 tracks that close by competing with each other. Hell-the Long Island public has a hard time sustaining the facility we already have, we don't need one that would, in all probability, close the "Head" down and wind up as another giant Parr Meadows. :disgusted

Jeff T
05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
I know that there are some who will believe it when they see it, but I know the Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy has said recently that he fully supports the building of a new auto racing facility on Long Island. Since this project is being proposed as a partnership with Suffolk County (much like Citbank Park in Islip for the Ducks baseball team), it may help clear a few of the tough hurdles to jump start this thing. It would be nice to see considering it seems that progress is closing in on the " 'Head", and as much as I hate to say it, I feel that time is getting shorter for the life span of the old place.

jimmy'z
05-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Be careful what you wish for. It's my hope that any new track on the Island works with existing race facilities so they can peacefully coexist. Is competition inevitable? Yes... However, when it gets out of hand, no one wins. :(

I'd be willing to wager that the losses from the Chemung - Tioga deal was due to a lot bigger issue than "my pond is nicer to swim in than yours".

Part of the problem ( and I feel this is VERY evident in Riverhead ) is mismanagement of their facilities and not catering to the masses.

(the following is opinion only )

Riverhead since my first days going there in the late 70's-Early 80's is that they're not looking to put on a show for their fans. They are drawing off the few big names that they can promote to an even smaller crowd.
As an example at a track "across the pond"; take a look at Wild and Wacky Wednesday (http://speedbowl.com/speedpages/wildwacky.html) at Waterford. Look at the ticket prices and the cars entered.
Blue Collar Racing for Blue Collar fans.
It's all love of the sport and thrill of the ride; but when you're average Saturday night racer has to either dedicate all the funds to put a car on the track or sell it all to put food on the table; someone is missing something.
What puts money in the pockets of the Owners/Promoters? Fans in the Seats.
Riverhead is too busy trying to keep their big names pulling in the pit gates and not balancing costs by squeezing as many people in the seats on a Saturday Night or even a Sunday Afternoon.
Demographically; Riverhead can afford to try out a Wednesday night fun show. The market is there.
Sure; one can argue about how the tour used to come in on a Wednesday or Thursday night....but the drivers that come and race aren't known to the majority of the local fans there nor do they care to see one big race and some other odd race as a filler.
I got a lot to speak on the subject; and coming from a family with relatives who are either racing now or going back 3 generations who have raced at Riverhead, Islip, and Freeport....I'd like to see a track on Long Island, even two.
Speaking as a family man who had a child and the other costs to keep a roof voer my head I'd like to have my son know the fun of cheering on the local hero at the local track the way I would cheer my relatives on growing up.

They (Riverhead) just needs to re-hash their marketing strategy. They got the people to fill the seats. They just need to give the fans a reason to go.

Rich Mergl
05-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Everyone who visits this site should respond in favor.

dmcguy
05-29-2005, 10:46 AM
As a race fan I would love it. As a Yaphank resident I would not. And I know that Brookhaven Town would fight it and every resident of Yaphank would also fight it.

On the Tioga subject. I lived up there and Tioga's property is owned by the gravel company next door, they leased the track out. From what I heard, they received a VERY high $$ contract and needED TO expand thEir operation, which includes digging up the track for the material under it.

DAN D.
05-29-2005, 11:50 AM
May oval track racing live on forever on Long Island.

Rich Mergl
05-29-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm a Yaphank Resident, why wouldn't you like it? Bring it on, the sooner the better. Think most Yaphank folk are into auto racing. Civic assoc., no!

dmcguy
05-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Rich,

I would love a track on the LI. and while a Yaphank resident might be a race fan, he is more of a "value of my home fan", and a track that will hold major events will bring congestion and other problems to the town that will far out weigh the economic benefits. I like Yaphank the way it is.

I would, however, suport a new track for weekly racing like Riverhead.

racing#s
05-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I agree, it can't hurt at all. I think all race fans should answer the petition in a positive manner. With enough push, the suit & tie guys may realize why NASCAR is the #1 sport in the USA......A LOT OF PEOPLE LOVE RACING.

tgse
06-27-2005, 03:41 PM
“As a race fan I would love it. As a Yaphank resident I would not. And I know that Brookhaven Town would fight it and every resident of Yaphank would also fight it.”

Well in response to that I can tell you unequivocally that brookhaven town is not fighting the project and there has been a very positive response from many-many residents of yaphank and the immediate surrounding communities.

But I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts as a yaphank resident and racing fan. You had mentioned something in regards to the value of your home—you cannot possibly be implying that a project of this type would be detrimental to your home value---this is proposed to be on county owned land—land where there are over 130 county buildings all told---not to mention a jail-compost facility---major landfill---old fireworks plant---firematics training facility---the list goes on—I think u can see my point—

This project, with the absolutely enormous economic impact it will bring, will do nothing but raise your home value---there is absolutely no question about it—and that is a fact that cannot not be debated

As an example, take a look at the neighborhood surrounding the drag strip at Englishtown, NJ—once a depressed, run down area-now dozens of cul de sacs lined with million dollar brick homes—within a stones throw of the Christmas tree on the track.

As opposed to the effect an expanded jail—powerplant---workforce housing---expanded landfill, etc---need I say more----I don’t think these things will attract families and businesses to the area

With the close proximity to the LIE, and adjacent railline-traffic problems will be extremely minimal with a large treed buffer and sound barriers, as well as sinking down of the tracks noise problems will be non existent---in fact the facility will not even be able to be seen from the road---it will be in the middle of the county property

dmcguy
06-30-2005, 11:16 AM
tgse,

Your opinion is valid. I love racing. Agree with me or not, I just think that Suffolk as a whole is developed enough and we need to stop building in general or soon we will be an other queens. That said I would never support a facility of the size proposed any place in the county. I would not want the congestion during the events, the traffic, the visitors, etc. The jail was here befor me, so was the landfill and grucci, but I fought the housing project and I agree with you that those things are not great to have in any town, but that does not mean I have to like and agree to anything else developers try to do. I like Yaphank the way it is. I would, however, love to see a new track open strictly for saturday night weekly racing.

tgse
06-30-2005, 06:42 PM
tgse,

Your opinion is valid. I love racing. Agree with me or not, I just think that Suffolk as a whole is developed enough and we need to stop building in general or soon we will be an other queens. That said I would never support a facility of the size proposed any place in the county. I would not want the congestion during the events, the traffic, the visitors ect. The jail was here befor me so was the land fill and grucci, but I fought the housing project and I agree with you that thoes things are not great to have in any town but that does not mean I have to like and agree to any thing else developers try to do. I like Yaphank the way it is. I would however love to see a new track open strickly for saturday night weekly racing.

dmcguy--thanks for the response--congestion, traffic and visitors would not be an issue- all visitors would enter off the LIE service road directly into facility or by rail----a facility strictly for saturday racing will never happen-it would be a losing proposition for anyone to take on. This is a small facility, compared to others across the country, most are on thousands of acres. This is proposed to be only 350 acres. and to answer your saturday night weekly question-the track design will have a 3/8 mile inside the bigger 3/4 to be used for all weekly LI racers. This is going to be a "disney type family Park" you are talking flowers, bushes, water features etc----do not think hardcore racetrack---that is not at all the intention-it is to be a family orientated destination for all to enjoy. I really appreciate your input and would welcome a spirited debate on your issues. thanks again

WEEZER
06-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Besides all the long island dragracers who have no where to go and the oval guys here, as I sit and watch the road racers at daytona tonite, wouldn't it be cool to have a GT series at yaphank, too!! If it plays out as it sounds, it would be great to take my son to a "disney type" place in the early afternoon to let him have some fun and then find a seat in the bleachers for some saturday night racing!!!

art11758
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Ummmm tgse I dont see this as you paint it.
"As an example take a look at the neighborhood surrounding the drag strip at Englishtown,NJ—once a depressed run down area-now dozens of cul de sacs lined with million dollar brick homes—within a stones throw of the Christmas tree on the track"
The area surrounding Raceway Park was trees. Manalapan twp. changed the zoning from liGHt industrial to residential. The houses came. Then the neighbors created a thing called CARS. (Citizens Against Raceway Sounds) As a seasonal ticket holder, the Napp family contacted me with a form letter and a list of officials to send it to. I did so. I got many interesting responses. The end result was a compromise, with muffled events most of the time, and the pre existing curfew. To say that Raceway Park is the reason those homes are there isn't the way it is/was. Some of the homes on Union Hill rd. stood vacant for over a year. Are there motorheads that live nearby? Yes. Are they the majority? I don't think so.
I like your proposal and support it. The E-town thing..... I don't see it that way.

Tower Man
07-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Hey Mike Fields...it's good to see you reached out for Neil Rosenberg. I have personally known Neil for over 20 years. Actually had a meeting or two with him. (Just ask him).

The point people may be missing is that it doesn't have to be NASCAR. Busch North and the Modifieds raced at Adirondack, which was not NASCAR. The key to any successful business is good management. Build it...market it...produce a good product and they will come.

SuperShafts
07-01-2005, 07:59 PM
art11758

I have been at E-town for 20+ years, do you remember the neighborhood as you drove thru, or do you only know one way to enter E-town, and even if you didn't notice anything E-town isn't putting a hurting on any of the property value.

They stood vacant for a year, well would you be the 1st mental patient to spend double triple 5x what that town was getting, and gamble it remains a low 70k 80k town so now you can't even get your money back if you decide to sell, but seems that the neighborhood there EVEN WITH THE TRACK is only getting better, put in a landfill or a nice jail. Some projects would be nice too, 10 kids to a house taxes could increase 5x, welfare yeah what a wonderful place, i really question the thought process.

dmcguy

I just think that Suffolk as a whole is developed enough and we need to stop building

The only thing Suffolk has had enough of is HOUSES being built all over and the raising taxes that follow right along with it.
A facility that brings entertainment in any form and something to bring the family to is NEEDED, not to mention the revenue it will generate and pour into the county and level off tax increases or stop them from going up.

But you know, you're right driving down Horseblock Road with dump trailers and compost trailers and garbage trucks while looking at the not able to be seen or even know it's there Suffolk County Sports and Entertainment park would kill you and ruin your precious little Yaphank. Wake up man open your eyes look around you.

Not to mention the other thing missing from Suffolk county.....jobs and the lack thereof.

As for the Admin calling you nimby, i think he meant nancyboy.

Mike Fields
07-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Tower Man, I also had a conversation with Pat Cunningham last week. As far as trying to get accurate information for my columns, I'm attempting to get it from the sources, not from rumors. There have been just too many of them floating around, and all of them have been wrong.

Sometimes, I do report on some of the more ridiculous rumors; but I do note that they all fall under the 'rumor' blanket.

Tower Man
07-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Mike...good deal !

Pat Cunningham used to help out Steve Park and Bobby Park back in the United Ceramic Tile days. So Pat is no stranger to Long Island auto racing, or the people involved presently. (Met with him as well).

I've seen too many tracks close and from what I hear, there are more to come. Just a matter of time.That is why the Yaphank facility will be a multi-purpose facility, to be used 52 weeks a year.

I would hate to see Riverhead close and become a sand pit, a Lowe's or a condo complex. But I would love to see a race track that I don't have to take the ferry to. Could you imagine the possibilities...two tracks...combined points for a Long Island Champion. Maybe I'm dreaming, but ya never know...

SuperShafts
07-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey Mike nice article, also a question how many people do you figure you reach in the towns that will be involved in the SCSEP process, and will you also keep people informed of town meetings?

Mike Fields
07-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Tower Man, you gotta remember the days way back when we had the Long Island points deal.

As far as the track closings to come, we talked about Waterford. But we didn't talk about Wall. Will it last beyond that Board meeting that's to take place at the end of July? Or will it close the day after the meeting if the owners get the zoning change they're hoping for?

Thanks SuperShafts. As I get any information, it will be passed along in my column. Don't forget that you also have a pipeline here on the Jam message board from at least one of the people in the Yaphank group that will keep you updated.

Tower Man
07-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike Fields, I spoke to Bill Brice III on Sunday and he said Wall is business as usual. So you tell me.

And yes the Long Island Championship thing we had years ago was just that...years ago. (am I that old?)

Again, I want to stress I do not want Riverhead to close. Went there for close to 30 years, met some nice people there and actually made life long friends with some who I would not have met if not for the track.

But I think anyone who owns or drives a car, should take a serious look at Yaphank. You have a vested interest to expand your opportunities. Imagine if there was only one golf course. Eventually you would "master" that one and never have to opportunity to grow and learn.

Forgive me if I ramble, but I thoroughly enjoy racing and I love to visit different tracks. And competition is good for business.

Mike Fields
07-04-2005, 07:52 PM
You're right about everything you said except to 'master' that one golf course. After many attempts when I was much younger, I couldn't even master the local putting course. Darn, that windmill got me every time!

cuzzzy59
07-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey listen everybody bashes racing, but i work in yaphank all day.like rich mergl said "bring it on"..forget all the political hogwash on traffic.if traffic isn't what you want,then stop building all of these homes, and leave the trees alone.economic boom other than homes, is what we need,And being a lover of auto racing,i say lets get busy and build this place...Money that is generated is GREAT for the l.i economy...

dmcguy
07-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I never said that I liked the dump in yaphank or the jail. I hate it. And just because these things are there it does not mean I have to like more building. You have a valid point building houses must stop and so must taxes. And I will say again that that I would love to see a facility like that on the Island, but Yaphank and the area does not have the support facilities available. They would have to be built. Now you have diners, fast food, hotels, gas stations. Yes, they would bring in jobs, but only the minimum wage ones. And all this will cause congestion. Again, this is only my *. But if the track is built, I will at that time support it. And I hope it will be a great place to compete so I can stop towing to Conn. twice a week to race.

Oh by the way, since you are such an authority on urban development, so please stop wasting my time.

* it's spelled O-P-I-N-I-O-N, just for the record. WJ

LongIslandJam
07-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Quality development is key as dmcguy you speak some truth.

I come from a prime example of urban development. Hempstead. However, this is comparing apples and oranges as there is no urban out in Yaphank. I feel that Top Guns will be a quality developement.

Also remember, Top Guns is huge tax revenue which should stop or slow tax increases. Commercial development is far more lucrative than residential tax wise.

Traffic is an issue, but if they work with the LIRR (really tough to do) and create a solid infrastructure it could be ok. But this requires much dealing with the local officials.

Let's hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. When Top Guns finally develops a final draft of their proposal, I hope its to the best interest of everyone, although you can't please everybody.

tgse
07-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Traffic is an issue, but if they work with the LIRR (really tough to do) and create a solid infrastructure it could be ok. But this requires much dealing with the local officials.

LIRR top officials have already seen presentation and are completely open and amenable to allowing a raised platform and 5 car stop right at proposed facility----so what the "really tough to do" and much dealing with "local officials" comments are based off of, I have no idea

IDRIVEALARGECAR
07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, here's my thought on a facility of that magnatude in the town of Brookhaven. I don't think the crooked politicians are worthy enough to pull something like that off anymore, seeing you can't bribe anyone anymore and the environmentalists haven't even begun their battle yet. So if they can't even keep the people who run the government of the town of Brookhaven legitimate, what makes them think they can even get something like this off the ground at all? As far as the Cromarty's needing to give someone their blessings for another racetrack, sanctioned by Nascar, well that's just a wild statement to make. They have nothing to do with this getting started and at their ages, I am sure they could care less if they sell their track or a new one gets built. They will be dead and buried before they spend all their money. The thought of a first class facility like this is just a plain dream of some investors. If they couldn't pull it off at Calverton, which is more sparsely populated, and has twice the amount of acrerage then where they want to put it, then why this place and not there? I personally would love to see something like this proposed facility get voted in, and i live close to the site they are talking about in the hamlet of Brookhaven, so i will hear it and see the impact of it also. I don't really care about it, because I am a race fan through and through, and will go there and support it, as long as it has some kind of resemblence and is run like the professional track they are proposing to bring. What we really need is all the support of all the local governments to get behind this and push for it, in order for it all to work, so race fans keep pushing and we might see it. But in all don't get your hopes up too high. Joey C>

tgse
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, Joey your point on Brookhaven would mean something if this project was under Brookhaven's juristiction --but it is not-it is Suffolk County owned land.

Zero has gotten done in Calverton---zero.

Stick to the support you speak about and leave the negativity elsewhere.

Tower Man
07-07-2005, 07:59 PM
As far as an infrastructure, if you look closely at the plans, a hotel is in the plans. I would think it would be on the lines of a Best Western or a Marriot Court Yard. Once the ground is broken, you will see all the fast food chains jockeying for positions, whether on the property or close by.

The LIRR already goes through the property and as stated earlier, a platform could/would be built. Just think of the revenue the LIRR could generate.

Again, I am STILL pro-Riverhead. And continue to wish them the best, but the time has come for this modern multi-purpose facility. Add to this all the jobs that would be created and the additional tax revenues for the county and the state. It's a win-win situation.

SuperShafts
07-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I never said that I liked the dump in Yaphank or the jail. I hate it. record.

Well there, you do realize what will go on that property if the SCSE park doesn't, right......or are you clueless to the other 4 choices, well 3, since you know about the jail and landfill being expanded.

If you have no idea, go visit your www.yaphank.org site and vote on which you want.

How would traffic be worse in Yaphank exiting directly off the LIE to the entrance, which would be about 100 yards from the off ramp on the service road? I'VE gotta hear this, please, I want to hear in great detail on this theory of yours about traffic parading thru Yaphank. You won't even know when something is going on or not, this isn't Daytona, where you could make a few hundred a day letting people park on your property.

Next

The thought of a first class facility like this is just a plain dream of some investors. If they couldn't pull it off at Calverton, which is more sparsely populated, and has twice the amount of acrerage then where they want to put it, then why this place and not there? I personally would love to see something like this proposed facility get voted in, and i live close to the site they are talking about in the hamlet of Brookhaven,

Well, how many of you went to that meeting and fought with the people crying about noise...how many stood up and said, "Noise, WTF are you people insane, you are comparing a race tracks noise to that of Grummans Jets". Let me know how many people showed up for that? How could you even think anything will happen, when none of you show up at anything, and even if everyone from this post and the tgse site showed up, it still would have gotten shot down...why? because none of you would show up...the same thing that threatens this proposal...lack of support.

Instead of support, you guy's look for something to ***** about, Calverton got nothing done, look at yourself for the answer to why, and when this doesn't happen either, look at yourself for that answer too.

Do you think nothing would have happened at Calverton had 20,000 of you shown up, lmfao? Imagine that...I would love to see 1000 of you in support of and at something that doesn't include bringing the damn car.

Jeff T
07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Just my opinion, but here it goes:
1.) I still support Riverhead Raceway and do not wish to see it gone, but I see the corporate world closing in on the facility, which scares me. I've been a part of race teams there for 29 years, I hope to be part of race teams there for several more. Most people grew up at Islip Speedway (R.I.P), but I grew up at Riverhead. That was and still is my home track
2.) Grumman-here the town of Riverhead has had ownership of the property for several years, yet they still can't figure out what they want to do with it. My own opinion is that they are looking for the person with the biggest basket of money to come in and take it off their hands. How many projects have been proposed at the faclity and nothing has developed? Two reasons why are the one listed above, and the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) attitude in the area. I think NASCAR was foolish to pass on the facility when they had the chance. Instead they buy a few hundred acres of swamp land on Staten Island because they like the view better (go figure). Grumman would have been a great choice for a new racing facility because of it's natural noise buffers, and amount of acreage it encompasses. Unfortunately, Riverhead Town missed the boat because they are still waiting for that big basket of money....
3.) Yaphank-I like what they are proposing. I feel it is a win-win situation for racing enthusiest and Suffolk County. Right now, that property is just sitting there generating no income. With the proposed facilty, it puts all that property back on the tax rolls, creates construction jobs (other than another housing development), and permanent employment for people in the area. It is a source of income for surrounding businesses (both current and future). Yes, it gives us another place to race, but it also offers more options for other people, other than racing. I know there are many who are of the "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude, but why not do what you can to make it happen, rather than "Waiting" for it to happen.
Like I said, Just my opinion.

SuperShafts
07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Just my opinion, but here it goes:
I know there are many who are of the "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude, but why not do what you can to make it happen, rather than "Waiting" for it to happen.
Like I said, Just my opinion.

You got it Jeff, the I'll believe it when I see it attitude will be why this won't happen.
You guy's need to pay attention, no one is asking for money to help make it happen, no one is asking you to help put time in to build it, but you better damn well believe when the meetings come for a vote, you better damn well make sure you get your *** registered, if it isn't already, and get it down to those meetings, or like I said, you can thank yourselves.

No one is asking anything of you other than if you want it make sure you prove it and make the meetings and vote, make a phone call to your representative and say, "Hey I support the proposal for the SCSE park that TGSE wants to build", or e-mail them, but then make sure you show up and vote on it when the time comes.

Here, I'll make some of it easy for you...

county.executive@suffolkcountyny.gov

jlavalle@brookhaven.org

http://www.brookhaven.org/officials/

dmcguy
07-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Jeff, you make some good points, but I just do not think it will be as fantastic for the economy as some people think. I like going to Riverhead too. I always go watch the races there when I'm not racing. I do think you are right, sooner or later, it will most likely go, which would be a shame.

tgse
07-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Jeff, you make some good points, but I just do not think it will be as fantastic for the economy as some people think. I like going to Riverhead too. I always go watch the races there when I'm not racing. I do think you are right, sooner or later, it will most likely go, which would be a shame.

dmcguy- no disrespect intended at all and as i said before i value your opinion and input as a local resident but you really need to do some research and take a close look at what is being proposed here---for you to make a statement that " i dont think this project will be as fantastic for the economy as some people think""" is scary my friend--the effects on the economy of a facility of this magnitude is in no way "what some people think" it will be---do the research it is solidly proven and very well documented all across the country what these facilities do to the economy in the respective areas. it is like no other----counties and cities are rolling out red carpets and floating bonding of ridiculous amounts just to attract facilities such as this to gain from the economic impact that comes along with them. Again this proposal will do nothing but good things for the Yaphank area as well as all of LI. and it will do so without causing any harmful "quality of life issues". The civics and residents in the area will be very closely worked with, listened to and accomodated in every way possible to garnish their support for this proposal.

lastly, contact the Top Gun offices---get a formal presentation, take a look at exactly what is being proposed----you will be pleaseantly surprised and comfortable.

dmcguy
07-09-2005, 01:06 PM
tsge,
I contacted top gun and requested a proposal. I spent some time on the website and it just seems too...."perfect". Something, I feel, is fishy about the whole thing, but I will see what the proposal says.

Richie
07-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Just the jobs alone make it a good deal. I'll be looking for a job at the track when it opens.

IDRIVEALARGECAR
07-10-2005, 01:20 PM
tgse: The town of Brookhaven still has the zoning rights to the property, even though it's owned by the county. They still have to approve the zoning change for the land, same as if you wanted to build something on your personal property, that you own, if its in the town's boundary, then they have to approve of it. So I am still supporting it, and my negativities are from personal dealings with the crooked people involved in all the corruption in the Town of Brookhaven. As you must have read, Mr.Spota is doing a wonderful job so far as to try to rid the town of all the corruption that has plagued it for a long time. My negatives are true negatives, not fabricated ones, so I feel I have a right to air them when and where i wish, and here is a good place. If you have ever had any dealings with any of the zoning boards or building code offices, then I am sure you know where I am coming from. So good luck with your efforts to get your project off the ground. Again, I am supporting your efforts and wish you the best. Joey C.

allhailunc
07-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Jobs?-yea right. I'll believe that one when & if I see it. What makes you think this operation is going to hire local folks? As for a wait & see attitude, remember the old saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". :disgusted

tgse
07-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Jobs?-yea right. I'll believe that one when & if I see it. What makes you think this operation is going to hire local folks? As for a wait & see attitude, remember the old saying, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". :disgusted

these type of guys are the reason things don't get done---why bother even posting do really feel anyone wants to hear that kind if nonsense--all hirings will be locals--

what is to good to be true--it's a bricks and mortar motorsports and family park----what is it you do not get---this isn't some new fangled concept that has never been done before-they exist all over the country--why shouldn't it exist on LI---with a population of more than most cities in the country?

SuperShafts
07-11-2005, 06:23 PM
these type of guys are the reason things don't get done---why bother even posting do really feel anyone wants to hear that kind if nonsense--all hirings will be locals--

what is to good to be true--it's a bricks and mortar motorsports and family park----what is it you do not get---this isn't some new fangled concept that has never been done before-they exist all over the country--why shouldn't it exist on LI---with a population of more than most cities in the country?

Don't even waste your time answering the toO lazy to read what's here people, you can tell how lazy and thoughtless that was just by reading what he wrote, he was toO lazy to even realize who you are.

Besides, how stupid can it get!!! now you'rE going to ship in immigrants from overseas to run things there, lol that's a great idea allhailunc....absolutely brilliant.

dmcguy
07-11-2005, 09:54 PM
As I said before, I e-mailed Top Gun and asked for a proposal.

I got a call today and they are going to send me a CD and business plan. We also spoke for about 30 mins. The plan is to build in several stages with the low capital cost projects first, i.e., dirtbike tracks, ATV area. Then the short track. Then the arts facilities etc, and drag strip, then the big track. He said he has letters from the IRL and NASCAR saying they are "interested" in the facility if it is completed. They also plan a hotel. I did ask if they would operate the short track on Sat. nights to compete with Riverhead. The feeling I got was it would.

allhailunc
07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
You are sooooo right tgse i'm the kind of person the reason that things don't get done.you couldn't have said it better.I'm also the kind of person that watches out for not only myself but the great freinds i have gained at Riverhead.the website is great-no doubt but anybody with some sort of computer literacy can desing a great looking site and add a few color graphics&charts so it looks A-1.Maybe your'e not old enough to remember but there once was a facility in Yaphank called Parr Meadows and we all know where that wound up.Maybe i'm the "Doubting Thomas" of the group.
This statement is coming straight from me and no-one else has had anything to say to make me post this.

Jam folks-please do not consider anything said either here in my "rant" or in other postings any sort of personal "attack" for we,both the "pro's&the con's" are just voicing what we feel

oh by the way Supershafts-i have no intention of bringing in any more aliens to do the work on this tremendous structure-we have enough allready.

other than that have a nice day and tsge if you're ever out at the track come on over and sit for a spell and chat bout this.i sit just near the start finish line.you never know you just might convert me :wave:

tgse
07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
You are sooooo right tgse i'm the kind of person the reason that things don't get done.you couldn't have said it better.I'm also the kind of person that watches out for not only myself but the great freinds i have gained at Riverhead.the website is great-no doubt but anybody with some sort of computer literacy can desing a great looking site and add a few color graphics&charts so it looks A-1.Maybe your'e not old enough to remember but there once was a facility in Yaphank called Parr Meadows and we all know where that wound up.Maybe i'm the "Doubting Thomas" of the group.
This statement is coming straight from me and no-one else has had anything to say to make me post this.

Jam folks-please do not consider anything said either here in my "rant" or in other postings any sort of personal "attack" for we,both the "pro's&the con's" are just voicing what we feel

oh by the way Supershafts-i have no intention of bringing in any more aliens to do the work on this tremendous structure-we have enough allready.

other than that have a nice day and tsge if you're ever out at the track come on over and sit for a spell and chat bout this.i sit just near the start finish line.you never know you just might convert me :wave:

would love to sit and chat with you---and the website ran in the 10's of thousands not just someone sitting back playing with a computer--in fact the 3D of the proposed facility layout on the site cost over 50K itself---one would think you being a race fan would fully support a proposal such as this like 10's of thousands of your fellow LI'ers to this point are doing---thats hard for me to beleive as i am sure it is for everyone that has read your posts on here. Thank God your pessimistic thinking is seemingly very rare. How this facility would hurt your " great friends" out in Riverhead I have no clue.

SuperShafts
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
I did ask if they would operate the short track on Sat. nights to compete with Riverhead. The feeling I got was it would.

Lmao you could put cones in a damned parking lot and compete with riverhead....

Tower Man
07-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey ...Largecar, I am not putting you down here, I just want to educate you on politics.

As a former County/Town/Village employee, some 30 odd years ago, I was around and participated in many a County Project. The Legislator I worked for at the time, was Chairman of the Publics Works Committee. I was involved with the construction of the S. W. Sewer District, County Road 83 and the widening of Wellwood Ave to the LIE.

Any County project supercedes local law. If the County has property in Brookhaven, it does not need permission from the town to use it at will, for the betterment of the community.

Suffolk County is desparate for tax revenues. Over 10% of your present property tax bill is for the Suffolk County Police Dept and another 5% is for other County Services.

The State owns most of the access roads, with the exception of County Road 21, so traffic patterns would not have to be approved by Brookhaven Town.

Those interested should do their homework, before stating facts on the message board which may be incorrect. Don't get me wrong, everyone has a right to an opinion, right, wrong or indifferent.

Sorry for the length of this post, but, come on, stop the wait and see attitude. Stop the negativity. And As Jeff Tuthill said, " I still support Riverhead Raceway and do not wish to see it gone", and, "Why not do what you can to make it happen...".

SuperShafts
07-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Tower Man, good post, I just hope it is comprehended.