PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on welding insurance

WEEZER
05-29-2005, 11:57 PM
After you pay the 10 dollar fee for welding insurance entering the track on a sunday enduro, and then the officials tell you that your bumper needs to be cut during tech because it's sticking out too far, and you go to Ironman and he cuts it, do you have to pay an additional 5 dollars for that? That's what the guy using the torch told me, stating that if a bumper or fender is cut, it's an additional 5 dollars on top of the 10 you pay for welding insurance entering the track.

stockade racing
05-30-2005, 07:18 AM
They did that to me last year. I was told that cutting was not welding when I askED about it. What do you do?? You pay it and go on.

Charger25
05-30-2005, 09:42 AM
I think they should have just cut it off. It is very rare that anyone even uses the welding on a Sunday because during an enduro race they don't have cautions, whereby letting the drivers into the pits to fix their cars and come back out as they do with the other divisions. So I'm not really sure what the $10 welding fee is for on a Sunday.
Then on the other hand, if you show up not ready, then so might everyone else.

spabler
05-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Sonny has been at the track for years and is always there when you need him in a jam. Every year, during the two weeks practice, he gives his services for free to all who come out to shake down their cars. Although I'm not an Enduro competitor, from my experience, on a weekly basis, he and his crew are worth every cent. If he charged you to do an additional service, I'm sure he put some thought into being fair about the fee.
Paul A. Beutler
Spabco Racing
Charger #21

LongIslandJam
05-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Agreed Paul.

You will never, I mean never, find a better welder whos more accommodating than Iron Man Welding. $15 is not a bad fee, considering what it costs for another pro to get it done. I'll take it and tip them, too!

nos2424
05-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Welding insurance on Enduro days is $10. There is no charge to repair racing damage. There is a charge for any materials used. If there is a question about an extra charge, please speak to Sonny directly. That should settle any problems there might be. Iron Man Welding

WEEZER
05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
W. Johnson, not to be disrepectful, but when I bring my car to the track, whatever division it is, it's always in condition to perform. Last year I had a seventh, fifth, and a win in enduro racing, and I do "comply" to the rules. My bumper was the same way it was ALL of last year and there was never a problem. My right rear quarter panel has been pushed in from racing and it makes the bumper "appear" to stick out to far. If the quarter panel is ok then the bumper looks normal. As a matter of fact, as the officials where getting ready to put the safety sticker on my car, a fellow competitor, who thought I was'nt looking, brought it to their attention and then the officials told me to get it cut, or otherwise it would have been fine. I'm not bashing ironman, thankfully they are there, but I did'nt understand paying 10 dollars entering the track, then and additional 5 if I needed work, why not just charge 15 dollars up front then? I've never heard of this in the 15 years I've been going to the track, maybe because I've never been in that situation.And why is it more expensive to torch off a corner of a bumper then to weld tabs on doors panels, I think that would cost more material wise for the tabs and mig wire and gas. Sonny was'nt even around when I was told to pay an additional five dollars.
Believe me, the money was'nt an issue, it was the same treatment enduro guys and gals get year after year. It started when all the grand drivers had to
have all there tire numbers checked, then a grand driver who did'nt pre register had his balls broken bringing his trailer in, he was told it was a privelege and should have pre registered, even though he was'nt sure if he could race until saturday night due to work conflicts and yet another "regular" had no problem driving in or the other "regular" who was aloud to drive his 4pt caged car in the grands, but other guys had there nuts broken for not enough roll bar padding. Sorry, but I had to vent.