PDA

View Full Version : sponsor question?

Charger25
06-06-2005, 11:25 PM
One of our sponsors is having a problem. This company is switching insurance companies, and was asked if she sponsors any sports teams. She replied yes, and because of this they will not insure them. They have made a full commitment to our team this year and stand by it, but they want to be removed from the car. She was told that if anyone in the stands got hurt due to a crash I was involved in, that anyone listed on my car would/could be liable. This company in question has already contacted Riverhead Raceway and asked them if their insurance covers the sponsors as well. They told her, "No, it does not, that they never heard of any such thing."
I really want to help this company remain in motorsports advertising. Does anyone have an answer to this? Have any other teams ever have a problem like this? :help:

jimmy'z
06-07-2005, 06:36 AM
I think the lawyer there has their definition of sponsor mixed up. It sounds like sponsor to them is defined as "owner". Since their name is on the car, maybe they think that they are part "owner"?
Say you hit someone in the stands or a piece of the car hits someone. Can they sue Sunoco Fuels too? Can they sue Hoosier tires? They can theoretically go right down the side of the car and go after every one of the owners of the stickers that the track gives you to put on your car. Sounds a bit nuts. :confused:

Rich Johnson
06-07-2005, 07:05 AM
It sounds crazy but it is true. "Sue happy people" have driven insurance rates through the roof and made insurance companies picky about who they will cover. Not many people are awarded money from sponsors insurance companys, but it has happened, so the precedent has been set.

RACINRICH

art11758
06-07-2005, 09:00 AM
That is sad. In the never ending pursuit of what people think they are entitled to ("it's like ....free money" someone once told me), the end result is much different than most imagine. A lawyer friend once told me while discussing the subject that it was "her job" to go after the deepest pockets while representing her client. So when everything comes full circle, insurance companies either raise rates, or are selective about coverage.

jimmy'z
06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
But when you sign into the track and/or pay admission to the general stands, isn't there a waiver displayed and/or the pits entrance that keeps the track and cars racing not responsible for accidents that may occur?

Believe me, I can see that a lawyer would try to go for the deepest pockets, like Art mentioned..but somewhere in the admittance to the track itself it has to be written some rule that holds the track and drivers safe from the lawyers.

It's sad though. No one is out of reach from the hands of those who want to make the world so freakin' safe and hunky-dory we'd all shoot ourselves out of boredom.