PDA

View Full Version : Racing with a clean bill of health?

Geno
06-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Here’s a touchy subject, but I am curious to everyone’s opinions.

Lately, four drivers throughout the tri-state area have suffered heart attacks at tracks. Does anyone think that a ‘clean bill of health’ should be mandatory to compete at any level of auto racing?

Like I said, I’m just curious what people think. As a fan, it’s easy to say that it should be mandated, but for a driver who lives to race, I’m sure it’s much different.

LongIslandJam
06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
For SCCA racing, they require you to pass a physical. So I say yes, it's a good idea. We don't need to see anybody dying because they MUST feel the need for speed. We rather see them every day, in the stands, the pits, and in our lives.

This also eliminates any possible liability for track owners, sanctioning bodies, team owners, etc.

Good idea all around, although I know many drivers will think of this as a huge hassle.

2crew
06-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I think a physical is a good thing. I work for a few local ambulance companys and a lot of them require a physical every year or two. Another thing we fire and EMS people do in this area is an acountability tag. Now the racing population could do something like that as well. It would consist of the drivers or even crew members normal vital signs, a quick history of medical conditions,medications, and medication allergies. The Fire and EMS departments put them inside a laminated picture ID card but the track could keep them on file in the office so in the event of an accident it could be pulled and given to the ambulance crew. The general public does not realize what a difference just that little bit of info can do to assist emergency crews in treating patients. I have helped companys do this and have seen it used effectivly about 3 times in 4 years. Just for example, those people that take the little blue pill to help them get it up can not have nitro which is the first drug of choice for a patient with chest pain. It could potentialy drop their blood pressure enough to do their bodys harm. knowing what medications a person is on can prevent that from ever happening.

Geno
06-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey 2crew, that’s a really good idea! I’m sure if & when needed, the info would help tremendously!

You’ll probably see these types of things implemented in the future throughout many area tracks. Also, I’d have to guess that it would help with discounted insurance rates.

rcp_ny
06-09-2005, 05:05 PM
First off, I agree with the sentiments expressed that a physical is a good idea (for general purposes), and also that having medical info on hand could help the EMTs make better critical decisions.

But I wonder if mandating a doctor's ok would really make any difference. If I went to a doctor to get an approval, would that doctor really have any idea what to evaluate to determine if I was fit to race? I can imagine the doctor thinking "Well, you drove to this appointment, didn't you?"

I'm curious, does anyone ever fail the SCCA physical? How do you fail a physical? Since very few of us are perfect physical specimens, what do they allow and not allow?

Besides, how many times have you heard of someone being "in perfect health" suddenly dropping dead? Just a couple weeks ago, a woman I work with was fine one moment and burst an aneurysm the next (she went into a coma and died 8 days later). I would think a passed physical doesn't necessarily mean much, as far as the track's or sanctioning body's needs are concerned.

If anything, I might feel better knowing my fellow competitors had passed a psychological exam rather than a physical one... but I'm sure not going to propose that, because I probably wouldn't pass it! :lol:

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

- RCP

LongIslandJam
06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
While yes, a physical can't prevent all maladies, it can save you from the basics.

Just like a seat belt. Seat belt can't save you from everything, but you still wear one right?

2crew
06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
RCP NY

you are right and wrong on the limitations of a physical. an aneurism is one of those things that in itself can not be seen with a basic physical, but there are contributing factors that can be seen like, high blood pressure, jugular vein distention, pain (in the legs and back if it an abdominal aortic aneurism, and a few other things. The aneurism is something that a ultra sound would have to be used to see, but also knowing that a person has an aneurism that they are living with that is not big enough to operate on is a good thing to know. I am not suggesting that every one go for blood work and the whole nine yards but a quick physical that would say, " this person is phisically fit enough to handle the operations of driving a race car at over 60 mph''. I am sure everyone's family physician would be glad to do something like that since the average person does not go to the doctor for years at a time. If the track, by implimenting something like this, can save one life by doing so, then that is one memorial race that we thankfully will not have to have. I hate loosing friends and I am sure you feel the same.

2crew

The days of take two of these and call me in the morning are over. Sorry people, I feel like a health nut now, but this is something I know a little about.

GENO

I think you are right with the discounted insurance rates.

richardpetey
06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
I gotta agree with RCP, most of us need a check-up from the neck-up............... :help:
Besides, I can get any old veterinarian to give me a clean bill of health......................... :rolleyes:
My shrink sez; "Your racing is a healthy outlet, just don't take your prozac a few hours before the race"......................... :eek:
I couldn't ask for a more thrilling ending to my racing career, WFO outta turn four as my life transponder ticks off its last lap and the fans screaming: "Was that guy really ninety-three years old".................. :applause:
UNCLE PETEY....................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Rich Johnson
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Petey
Your shrink is right...You would not want to hit the wall HARD ...
I don't think you should have to prove you are in perfect health.
As RCP said...perfectly healthy people suddenly drop dead, too.
I really like the idea of having competitors vital info "on hand"
Blood type, meds used and contact info could be a matter of "life or death"
if someone is being treated for a serious injury.

RACINRICH