PDA

View Full Version : The next NEETS Charity

Geno
06-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Well, I usually don’t go into much detail about the NEETS charities, but this upcoming one hits a little towards home…the CF Foundation.

When I started racing back in ’03, I contacted a guy named Bartley to see if he would help support the cause I was racing for, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. During ’03 & ’04, all our sponsorship money and race winnings were donated to the foundation, which accumulated to almost $3K.

The disease itself is complicated in some sorts, but it all started when my neice, Camellia, was in the hospital for a few weeks. With this disease, it’s basically mandatory for a yearly ‘tune-up’.

First, I want to thank Billy for choosing this charity for the Firecracker Smacker. Unlike many charities, less than 20% of the funds generated are used for ‘official use’, which is employee pay, insurance, etc.

Here’s the gist of CF:
·Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a genetic disease affecting approximately 30,000 children and adults in the United States. A defective gene causes the body to produce an abnormally thick, sticky, mucous that clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections. These thick secretions also obstruct the pancreas, preventing digestive enzymes from reaching the intestines to help break down and absorb food. The mucous also can block the bile duct in the liver, eventually causing permanent liver damage in approximately six percent of people with CF.

·More than 10 million Americans are unknowing, symptomless carriers of the defective CF gene. An individual must inherit two defective CF genes—one from each parent—to have CF. Each time two carriers conceive, there is a 25 percent chance that their child will have CF; a 50 percent chance that the child will be a carrier of the CF gene; and a 25 percent chance that the child will be a non-carrier. (before my wife & I planned on having our daughter Rose, we were both tested. Jeralyn, my wife, carried the gene & I did not, which made it OK)

·CF occurs in approximately one of every 3,500 live births. About 1,000 new cases of CF are diagnosed each year. More than 80 percent of patients are diagnosed by age three; however, nearly 10 percent of newly diagnosed cases are age 18 or older.

·According to the CF Foundation's National Patient Registry, the median age of survival for a person with CF is in the mid-30s. As more advances have been made in the treatment of CF, the number of adults with CF has steadily grown. Today, nearly 40 percent of the CF population is age 18 and older. Adults, however, may experience additional health challenges including CF-related diabetes and osteoporosis. CF also can cause reproductive problems - more than 95 percent of men with CF are sterile. But, with new technologies, some are becoming fathers. Although many women with CF are able to conceive, limited lung function and other health factors may make it difficult to carry a child to term.

Although she’s officially a ‘teenager’, I will see if Camellia can attend the next NEETS HSCS enduro. I think it’ll be a great thing for her!

All information was obtained from www.cff.org. Also, the local chapter in our are is in Whitehall, PA. The contact name is Linda Capozello.

Our website is http://tylerjett.denoria.com It hasn’t been updated in some time, but the basics are on there. LOL, don't worry, not trying to sell anything, but there's a million things to be thankful for. (PS...don't mind the guestbook is full of JUNK).

NEETS-1
06-11-2005, 08:45 AM
"G"eez "G"eno...thanx for the mention. Everybody usually just sees the (top layer) of happenings at the track. There is a lot going on behind the scenes such was in your situation. We don't like to "blow our own horn" and things like this are never mentioned too much.
We are only on this Earth for a moment...for the life of me I cannot understand why some people go through their lives miserable. Everyone should look at what they have and be thankful for there are always the less fortunate.
I am very thankful and proud of our NEETS family. They have, and will be helping many less fortunate this year with our charity programs. Some do it for the publicity...we do it for the great feeling you get by helping. That is why you never see any pictures of me holding a check handing it to the organization representative. That is fake and not needed...as long as we know it helped a little, that's enough for me.
NEETS will continue to help as many organizations such as the CF foundation for as long as we are able. If the day ever comes and NEETS is no more....I at least want it to be remembered as a great family of racers that touched the lives of many.

Geno
06-11-2005, 02:13 PM
I didn't mean for it to sound like I was tooting my horn (most know me better than that), just wanted to explain what CF is & how we helped with our racing...and now NEETS is in the picture :applause:

NEETS-1
06-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Wasn't meant that way...don't know why you read into it like that. I meant that NEETS just loves to help people...and doesn't use it to gain popularity or not really care what / who it helps as long as they themselves make a gain from the donation.
We just care to help...I know you and you are a true person.

Geno
06-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks Mr. B- My excuse is lack of sleep :rolleyes: , LOL :eek:

richardpetey
06-15-2005, 11:40 PM
The NEETS family is a generous group, helping many deserving charitable organizations............................... :applause:
But, since enduro racing is a disease in itself, we may have to establish a non-profit institution for the benefit of this very infectious affliction................ :help:
Next time you run into an enduro challenged person with this malady, please don't be an enabler.................. :disgusted
Call the Right Reverand G or Dr Billy B for the proper treatment to ease your pain and suffering.......................... :eek:
UNCLE PETEY....................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: