PDA

View Full Version : tonites race

RacinRob
06-12-2005, 01:07 AM
wow....that about sums up toniGHts sad and twisted events....I'm sure Tommy will surface on a couple of tour shows...too much talent to waste! :eek: :disgusted :*-(

SpeedyMS
06-12-2005, 01:46 AM
you said it all lol.. :disgusted :disgusted congrats mike

W. Johnston
06-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Tommy may run ROC, but will not be allowed at a NASCAR sanctioned race anywhere until his NASCAR license is restored. That is up to him to take care of, so let's wait and see what he wants to do before we jump off in the wrong direction on this.
Yes, it was a sad night in many ways, JMO!

RGeeProductions
06-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Tommy may run ROC, but will not be allowed at a NASCAR sanctioned race anywhere until his NASCAR license is restored. That is up to him to take care of, so let's wait and see what he wants to do before we jump off in the wrong direction on this.
Yes, it was a sad night in many ways, JMO!

His license was revoked?

allhailunc
06-12-2005, 05:06 AM
What I saw last night, up until the Modified debaucle, was one of the best nights ever at Riverhead. Bobby-you made me proud putting the 45 Spt into victory lane :applause: ;) . Kevin-one hell of a win their son-you made mom&pop real proud of you :) . Greg, great move to take over the LM race and hold on :D . Georgie-all I can say is "awesome", you held off one of the best :wave: .
Now for my thoughts on the WWE. I was really surprised-here I thought, the way this race was going, that I just might make it home to see some of the Busch race, but NOOOO, "Happy Hooligan and his band of Merry Morons" took over the show. Tommy-you obvioulsy had a major bug up your "Wazoo". You were black flagged, so what to you do? You decide to take it out, physically with your ride, on the #3 of John Denniston (if you had issues with him, you should have settled it in a better manner). John, your retaliation was wrong-dead wrong, and sorry, but you should not have been allowed to return to the race-right or wrong-one small misstep during your escapade using your vehicle and you could have caused serious harm (not that Tommy was any angel either, considering he "represents" one of the finest organizations I have ever known). Both of you "should" be handed down some punishment. Now for "Frick & Frack". Wayne, you "were " running one of the best races I've seen in a long time, until Mr Blewett "blew it" for you. But then to "outright" tank him going down the backstretch-that wasn't "you hit me-I hit you", that was just plain mean. I have respected you for the longest time, but after your actions last night, I'm not so sure. As for Mr Blewett, what were you doing getting out of your vehicle and trying to get into Wayne's car? Were you going to discuss what you 2 guys were going to have later on at Applebee's? I have a suggestion here-in baseball, when players aren't playing up to their potential, they are "benched" or sent down to the minors-Maybe Riverhead should institute something on that order-sit them down or send them back to racing "go carts". I had the great pleasure of meeting "Cabbage" last night the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Champ) last night-quite a nice guy I might add, and I also got the chance to see Riverheads version of the UFC "Unbelievably Friggen Crappy". I hear next week Bob Finan is being replaced by none other than Michael Buffer (no offense Bob, you know I love ya :lol: ) Was there a "full moon" out there somewhere? :mad: :mad: :disgusted :disgusted :(

W. Johnston
06-12-2005, 07:55 AM
To clarify: Tommy refused to surrender his license when asked, so it is, in effect, suspended until NASCAR reviews the situation. It will not be a good outcome for him. Too bad, he's our track Modified champ, but it appears he may be done racing at Riverhead for the foreseeable future.

We need everybody to sit and think for a while before posting about this and other controversial matters that happened last night. We know there are going to be many opinions about it, but please, no rants against anyone not based on facts. In other words, we'll be watching and take whatever steps we deem necessary to keep this line of thought in the realm of the sane.

Charlie's Angel
06-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I just wanted to say that after the fights last night it was very nice to meet you in the pits with Vinny. It wasn't too hard to figure out who you were. :)

Someone mentioned to me that they went to the fights and a race broke out. As funny as it sounds, it's also pretty sad for all the spectators who bring their children to see the races. I know that in the heat of the moment we don't really stop and think about the effect it has on others around us. A lot of other cars were taken out in the whole Blewett/Anderson melee. Marissa was running so well and I've always been a fan of hers. Too bad she didn't get to finish the race, as well as a few others, due to the act of someone else and no fault of their own. They could have been hurt as well. Just something to think about.

I would like to congratulate Howie Brode, a friend of mine, for doing such a fantastic job of racing last night and managing to stay out of all the mess around him. WTG! :)

44chargerfan
06-12-2005, 09:07 AM
If you are the Chief Steward and your son races at the track in 2 divisions, wouldn't you be hardest on him, not everyone else??????

Charlie's Angel
06-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Depends on the kind of parent you are. I've seen fathers coach Little League games and favor their sons and I've seen others that are hardest on their kid. So it really depends on the individual. Just my opinion. Being a parent and thankfully never been put in such a position I'm not really sure how I would handle things where my kid is involved.

BWR
06-12-2005, 09:33 AM
unc you hit the nail on the head. :applause:

The Bullfather
06-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I'll ask the question!

What's the difference between J.R. Bertuccio and Mike Curtis playing bumper tag last season and John Denniston and Tommy Rogers Jr.?

Anyone???

Bueler???

Anyone???

What was managment (MANAGEMENT!!?)thinking when they let Denniston back on the track, after he used his car as a weapon! There is no difference from what took place last season! Mike Curtis rolled his car up to J.R. and both of them began to play a little game of tag-your-it! Now after the whole incident, both of them were suspended for 2-3 weeks. Will we see Denniston get the same punishment? It amazes me that nothing was called on Johnnie after he made a whole scene in pits before coming back on the track. With eyes always watching, this really places a black eye on the officals (OFFICIALS!!?) of Riverhead. After J.R. and Mike Curtis, we had the eyes of NASCAR come down and make their own call and see what was going on in the pits and on the track. Could we see Jerry Cook and others here next wekeend?

Jimmy Blewett was faster in the turns and made Wayne realize it, lap after lap. On the straights, Wayne would pull away, until the turns and Jimmy would be all over him again. Wayne, being from the old school of racing, let's people know (as did Jimmy) when they are in his way! (A little bit of chrome horn here and little bit of nudge there!) As I sat on the backstrech (BACKSTRETCH!!!), we watched Wayne sitting in the infield and as Jimmy drove by and a simple little gesture was given to Blewett, a wave! OH, IT WAS ON! :wave:

I was waiting for the usual brake check before the starting line and watch a pile up of Blewitt and others, but it didn't happen. Coming off the second turn, we watched Wayne make a right hand turn into the wall and take out Jimmy. Will there be a call on both of them, for their actions? Was Jimmy Blewett trying to pinch or tickle Wayne through the window net? Why would you try and get through the window net, when there is a huge opening through the back end of the car, gets you right into the cockpit! :applause: Ok a little humor! How many officals (OFFICIALS!!!!) does it take to get BlewEtt (OFF???) of Anderson's car?

Despite the events that took place, the racing was still exciting to watch and congrats to Mike Andrews and Howie Brodie for an excellent race.

Walter, get over it and correct it without the red lettering, you only do it to a select few! I'm tired of it!

Jeff T
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
It was, indeed, a sad night a Riverhead last night. First off, you have the #3 and the #6 proceed to have a $250,000 demolition derby on the infield after #6 doesn't agree with an official as to where he starts after an incident on the track. Then, you have the #3 return to the track after doing the same thing to the #6 that the #6 did to him. Because the #3 was allowed to return to competition after retaliation to the #6, does this now set as a precedent that you are allowed to continue in competition after you use your car as a weapon, because there will be no punishment? If such is the case, then Anderson should have never been thrown off the track after walling Blewett, because he was only retaliating because earlier in the race, he was spun while leading by Blewett. What is good for one, should be the rule for all. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case. As for my opinion, Denniston, Rogers and Anderson all deserve a little time off. It looks as if Rogers will be the only one in the penalty box for the incidents that took place last night. Although Rogers was wrong for his actions towards Denniston, Denniston, himself, was equally as wrong for what he did to Rogers. The call to let the #3 back on the track was dead wrong. You can not have someone use their car as a weapon, even if it was provoked, and then reward them for their actions.
As for the Anderson/Blewett incident, did Blewett spin Anderson while he was leading? Sure did. Did Blewitt deserve to get right turned hard into the wall late in the race when he tried to make a clean pass to the outside Anderson? Nope, not even close. I'm not a big Jimmy Blewett fan, but what happened to him was just down right wrong. Blewett did not lay a bumper on the back of Anderson after the two of them started in the back after the incident. So when the car checked up in front of Anderson, and Blewett tried to go to the outside of the 15, Wayne just did him dirty. I guess watching the mirror was more important than looking at the big picture. He could have finished in the top ten by just settling things later, but instead he gets thrown out and loses lots of points. Dumping another car is one thing, causing outright carnage (which also involved other cars and drivers that had nothing to do with the feud) is another. I guess Anderson thinks it's okay to do something like this, but I do not. I'd rather beat them on the track then to drive them into the wall. Just my opinion.
One thing I did notice is that after the Denniston/Rogers incident, and the ensuing 20 minutes of caution laps, a good portion of the grandstand section that I was sitting in got up and left they facility. I guess they got tired of watching cars ride around under caution. It's bad enough that the place had plenty of available seating all night long, but made it worse seeing the masses exit after having to sit through all of the BS.

Gravel
06-12-2005, 01:50 PM
WOW. Makes me glad I bought a boat. I can't afford $250,000 for a demo car.

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Bullfather, I'll answer that question for you... JR Bertuccio's Daddy wasn't the Chief Steward, and John Denniston's Daddy is The Almighty Chief Steward of Riverhead. As I was told by Bill, two weeks ago, "This is His track and No one Will Tell Him how to Run it!" :mad:
I hope that NASCAR will be at the track next week and that the officials make the same kind of calls they have been making in the past. :applause: But then again, I'm sure They will be on their Best Behavior.
Well, what ever happens to Tommy, I hope he can just pay his fine (or whatever) and stay away from Riverhead and go on to bigger and better things. Because that is one hell of a smart kid (who just lost his cool last night) with A LOT of talent. There are a lot of really good drivers out there, but there aren't many that can say "Not only was I the Modified Champion last year, But I was also the Figure 8 Champion the year before." A lot of those "Good Drivers" wouldn't get into a Figure 8 car because of fear. :cool:
As for everything else, Hey that's Riverhead, Right-Wrong-Unfair = Riverhead. :help:

unowho243
06-12-2005, 02:54 PM
They should all be ashamed of themselves... I think it was a poor showing of class to everyone that was involved in both incidents. :disgusted

Mike Fields
06-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Before everybody gets too nuts about John Denniston, remember the race before. During the Figure Eight race, Mike Mujsce got into Ken Darch on lap 3. After the yellow, Darch retaliated. When the field was aligned, Mujsce and Maynor (who pitted for a flat tire) were at the back of the field, while Darch retained his 3rd spot in the order.

No matter what you believe, or you're particular feelings about how calls are made, last night, the calls were consistent. And that is one of the things that is most important.

KickItUp
06-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Darch kept his spot after retailiating, but he is dating a head scorer (official), isn't he? :confused:

Rich Johnson
06-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes he is...However I see more call made AGAINST him than for him.

RacinRich

W. Johnston
06-12-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd like to give you all a little information here that obviously isn't known. Bill Denniston does not make calls or decisions during Mods or SPT races that his son participates in, he leaves it to his staff of officials to handle. I have to tell you, being John Denniston isn't easy, because too many think he is getting favored when he isn't. Does it hapeen a little bit? Only the other officials know for sure, but John is basically a good man, and so is Tommy Rogers. One had a really bad night, and unfortunately took it out on the only available family member of the person he was angry with. John could have sat it out, but didn't. So, as always, two wrongs don't make a right. I feel as some of you do, that both parties deserve to be punished almost equally, one for starting it, and the other for sinking to the same level. Why didn't that happen? The official with the answer to that qquestion, as of last night, is NOT Bill D., but someone else. I'm sure Bill has gotten an explanation by now, and I did see him speaking to John last night, and the conversation was NOT congratulatory, though I didn't hear any of it. Hand gestures, facial expressions, and body language can say a lot, and it did during that meeting. Let's back off on thinking Johnny is getting more than others have, because he's been set down for other things in the past, and will be in the future.
As to any beef you might have with the officials, take it to them, don't involve a young man trying to build a racing career in track politics, because from some of what I've witnessed over time, he's just trying to race and get ahead like all the rest of the driver's out there. (MY opinion, if you're wondering, is yes, he should have been put down, along with Tommy, because neither of them did a good thing.)

44chargerfan
06-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Still WJ whose the officials bosses??? Bill Denniston!!! He has complete control over anything they do and say.

W. Johnston
06-12-2005, 08:52 PM
We all have bosses. I can tell you the decision to let John back out was NOT made by Bill D.

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
06-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Then who made that decision? And was that decision made before or after Bill got back on the ramp, screaming at the guy who closed the gate, to open it gate while John was still getting his car fixed?

W. Johnston
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
While I can't say who made the decision (I don't really know who), there were other cars also being worked on in the pits at the time, so leaving the gate open was a natural thing to do. :)

Gravel
06-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Being a former official, I think the rule stayed the same. As long as the field is under yellow, the pit gate remains open. When the field is given 1 to go sign, when they hit turn 1, the gate gets closed. Unless a car has been spotted moving by an official. Then they will do 1 more lap. Again, I don't know if the rule stayed the same since I left. But that's the way it was.

allhailunc
06-13-2005, 05:24 AM
That car wasn't "moving", it was hauling "A##", a very dangerous situation in the pit area in itself, never mind what already had happened on the track. :(

Gravel
06-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Well, Walter. Since I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. But I do know that while I was there, John Denniston was never set down that I remember. But that was because he never really caused trouble on or off the racetrack.

DAN D.
06-13-2005, 09:47 AM
and to think i left during the mod consi.....( prior dinner arrangements).
some things come to mind.. not being there that night, to witness what happened. BULLRING, ONLY TRACK LEFT ON LONG ISLAND, SHORT TRACK RACING, SAME OLE, thank God that no one got hurt. all the rest is bent metal, parts, adrenalin, $$$ and some human emotions and feelings.

Sounds like the competition will increase for the championship if John, Tom, Wayne and Blewitt get sat down for any decent length of time.

Hey, I wonder if anyone will do a bone head move and raffle off one of their cars.....LOL,LOL

Also, Jeff T writes this, which may have some impact (very little and I doubt it) on revenues for the track:

One thing I did notice is that after the Denniston/Rogers incident, and the ensuing 20 minutes of caution laps, a good portion of the grandstand section that I was sitting in got up and left they facility. I guess they got tired of watching cars ride around under caution. It's bad enough that the place had plenty of available seating all night long, but made it worse seeing the masses exit after having to sit through all of the BS.

Glad JR was absent and avoided the smasharoo .

LongIslandJam
06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Actually Jeff T alluded to something...

Part of the problem was the crowds rushing out of the grandstands... They weren't rushing to the parking lot, they were rushing to the pits. I know because I saw it. Same for the the pit stands as well.

Once the two drivers got into the pits, the rest of the problems were caused mainly by the crowds and associated personnel.

Just a reminder to drivers... YOU and only you are responsible for your team and your guest actions. Look it up in the rule book, as the driver is the spokesperson of his/her team and takes full responsibility for their crewmembers and guests. So drivers, be certain that those who come with you don't ruin your fun and those associated with teams, be sure not to ruin your driver's chances and make things worse.

racerwife
06-13-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure where everyone else has been sitting /standing and watching our racing.... as far as I see it, the last 5 years or so the spectator stands are more and more empty every night. Is it the racing and officiating, or is it the high gate admission prices???
Either way we the racers are going to lose out in the end. You don't meet and pay your bills on the crowds that are still attending...

As for Saturday night... those involved regardless of fault should thank GOD that no one was hurt or worse!!!

maestri fan 1
06-13-2005, 10:46 AM
You hit the nail on the head J.A. Now as for John being sat down, myself and someone else who I was with heard Bill say to John that he is done for the night. John said some stuff, and then he got in his car and drove onto the track. It really is a shame what happened. It makes the track look bad with both incidents. Well, there is always next week.

Golf Guy
06-13-2005, 11:06 AM
JA, you may be right about the crowds going to the pits area for the first incident (Denniston/Rogers). But I was sitting between 1 & 2 and can say I saw with my own eyes many fans get up and leave the track after the second incident (Anderson/Blewitt). I also noticed that the stands were not very full and as a sponsor, that concerns me.
As for all the stuff that happened, you all can spin it any which way you want, to try and place blame, but the bottom line is, it was all disgraceful. Keep it up and soon the only ones watching will be the ones causing the trouble, real race fans don't go there for that...

Jaws
06-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a sad night at the track. :disgusted

As far as the smaller crowds, I think the average fan has stopped going due to the costs and long shows (Which seem to be shorter this year). Ticket prices are crazy at Riverhead. I have opted in the last few years to spend a little more on gas and travel to other tracks in NJ and Ct.

I don't think the incidents on the track will drive the fans away, unless it becomes a weekly thing.

The average family of 4 won't spend $100.00+ to see a demo.

BWR
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
WELL, WELL, I NEED TO SPEAK ON THIS FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE. WELL, TOMMY WAS WRONG AND JOHN WAS WRONG, BOTH HITTING EACH OTHER ON THE TRACK. :disgusted THEN IT got GOING IN THE BACK AND THE YELLING STARTED. BUT I GOT HOT AND STARTING FLIPPING, beCAUSE BOTH OF THEM SHOULD have BEEN SET DOWN FOR THE NIGHT. PERIOD, NO exCEPTIONS!!! THEN JOHN FLYS THROUGH THE PITS, ALMOST TAKES ME WITH HIM AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE. (I'M WAITING TO HEAR I DIDN'T SEE YOU). SO FOR MY ACTIONS OF TRYING TO PROTEST THE RACE, I GOT INTO ANOTHER ARGURMENT. BUT YOU KNOW I WILL APOLOGIzE FOR MY ACTIONS. BUT I THINK IT'S TIME TO SAY GOODBYE TO THE ONLY TRACK LEFT HERE ON THE ISLAND, beCAUSE I KNOW IF I STAY, THEY WILL TAKE IT OUT ON THE DRIVERS I SPONSOR, SO I WILL HEAR ABOUT WHAT GOES ON FROM HERE. THANK YOU ALL FOR ACCEPTING MY APOLOGY. GOOD DAY!!! (sorry for venting, but need to do it) :disgusted

T.I.E.-WJ

broz
06-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Hurry, would someone please get The Mayor a valium? :lol:

You're right Vinny, in an age when we talk so much about saving the track, it's a shame to see so many upset from week to week.
Maybe some of these drivers need to think more about the "product" and how it affects the rest of their career at "The Head" :rolleyes:

BWR
06-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Valium :confused: That's all I need!!!! But you are right, I'm just tIred of it!!!! It's taking out the fun :mad: I go there to relax and have fun, enjoying racing.

LongIslandJam
06-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Well you got to remember, racing is what you make of it.

Vinny, you need to take a chill pill. You get too emotional with this stuff. You're emotional because you care, but nevertheless harness your energy in a constructive fashion.

Every division last night produced some great racing, except for the Modifieds. Trucks ran a great race, Chargers ran a great race, Late Models was the best race, Figure 8's ran ok, but the Modifieds were simply atrocious and it's mainly due to the drivers in it.

Out of the 5 aforementioned divisions, 4 of them have great camaraderie amongst themselves (especially the Late Models). They may not all like each other (and you can't expect that), but they've got respect for each other on the track. In the Modifieds, there seems to be a lack of respect among each other. Do you guys in the Modifieds enjoy ripping up thousands of dollars of equipment? Do you guys enjoy spending long nights during the week? Many of the Modified drivers have got to start realizing you folks are the show, so act it and give us a great show for the right reasons. Mistakes happen, but don't hold grudges and make "accidents" happen to mar the great division of the Modifieds. You guys are all capable of producing a great show, so I expect this weekend, you guys will do it after learning from this week's mistakes.

BWR
06-13-2005, 02:34 PM
That's some good food for thought. Redirect my energy. You gave me aN idea. :D

LongIslandJam
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
I know you mean well Vinny and you've got a lot of passion, just focus it, and you can do wonders.

TractionControl
06-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree the #3 shouldn't have been allowed back on the track for actions on the track and in the pits. I thought I saw Bill D. on the track with maybe 3 other officials trying to figure out if the #5 should be sent to the rear. I guess he was just taking it all in and not making a decision involving the MODS.
Speaking of Bill D. and his decisions
1.Courtesty laps?
In the 2nd charger heat the #10 gets a flat during hot laps, the field is all set to go but he gets 3 LAPS :mad:
2. 8, 17, 81, 89
After the races, I go into the pits and see these 4 cars in the tech area. From what I hear, these 4 were involved in a shouting match in the turn 2 grandstand area the week before. All 4 drivers had to start in the rear of the field and then had to pull their motors for inspection. So you mean to tell me that NOTHING happened on the track, NOTHING happened in the pits, and NO punches were thrown. That's what I was told, maybe someone else heard different?

unowho243
06-13-2005, 06:03 PM
The #10 car was given laps because he got a flat before the heat even started so get the facts rite before you go accusing! :mad: Jim (ANGRY #10 fan!)

Turbo
06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
:disgusted I just wish I could HAVE helped out my uncle Ray, he did work that night tearing apart both engines. He did both the #81 and #8. :(

As for the mod race, it was ugly!! Bottom line. :help:

W. Johnston
06-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Traction Control: there are two types of protest. One filed by a competitor, and that which is lodged by an official. The officials decided that those engines needed to be checked, for whatever reason, and that is their right, just like any competitor can lodge an official protest. I looked into what was being done, and the word I got from an official is that those engines were being checked for specs, at the engine builders premises, and would then be reassembled and given back to their owners in time to race next week. No particular reason was given for the selection process.

The Bullfather
06-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Today's question:

Will out of state Nascar officials be present Saturday night? :( :-| :confused:

unowho243
06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I wouldnt doubt it

modified_fan
06-13-2005, 07:33 PM
(Read this tongue and cheek guys and gals.....I'm just venting.)

...Past Champion playing demo derby with Boss man's son? (Then jumping up and down on his car like a prize fight winner)

...Multiple ex Champ stuffing the new Joisey boy into the wall?

...New Joisey boy showing off his fighting skills in the bullring? (Bet that fist impression on the hood of the 15 where the "W" is just above the roll cage bar surely hurt in the morn)

...Boss man's son (and I do like John D...I agree with WJ that he's in a rough spot) flying thru the pits?

...Ex figure 8 champ almost fighting the officials, post race on the ramp?

...Well respected team member (not involved in any of the racing incidents) yelling vainly for the help of the officials, cuz she was called a 'blankety, blank' by one anonymous crew member? (oh the horror)

DARN.......I felt I was in a bad episode of the trashy TV show COPS!

No wonder Whelen is now sponsoring Mods.

The Bullfather
06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Bad boys, bad boys, what you going do when they come for you! :lol:

DAN D.
06-14-2005, 09:55 AM
perfect avatar for THE MAYOR OF VINNYVILLE (sleeping baby). LOL, LOL, luv ya ViN
Just remember in the future, when speaking or writing anything after the word "BUT", is all BS. Example: Riverhead Raceway is LONG ISLAND'S ONLY OVAL RACE TRACK LEFT, BUT people say there is too much antics, shennanigans, arguing..etc

So anything after the word BUT means nothing.
Try to remember this, you will see you will use the word BUT less.

W. Johnston
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Speaking of 'BUT less', how's that diet coming DAN??? LOL!

LongIslandJam
06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I heard he had trouble getting into the Modified this week.. Too many Polish Meatwiches. :rolleyes:

Mortgage Guy
06-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I agree with most said here, and both drivers were at fault and should be suspended. On the other hand, if Tom Rogers did the same thing to Bill Park (just using another name) and Bill turned around and hit him back, and didn't let him out, everyone would be going crazy that he got halted for the night, but because it is John, the punishment should be different...As far as using his car as a weapon...Tom hit him in the drivers door twice, he used his car as a weapon...John hit him in the front tire, come on... In the end, they should both be suspended and set down...

*rAcIn CuTiE*
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok, well, let's just state Saturdays “race” was a disgrace… First off, I love how most of the comments here are stated angry towards my brother. Meanwhile, he was the innocent bystander who, yes, did retaliate. One question, what would you have done? Tommy hit John three times all together, not to mention the last shot was a driver’s side impact, which in my opinion is one of the lowest things that was done! John had two flats when he retaliated and was closer to Tommy when he hit back, so think about how much less force there was. Nonetheless, he retaliated, but in my eyes, John had no where to go, being stuck either to sit there and take the abuse or to say enough is enough… Both of them drove without heads on throughout the pits, but my question is, why the need is for anyone to run out of the stands and into the pits when they know the drivers will be hot headed? Yes, there are no excuses for driving like that but, from what I heard, Tommy’s more lucky he didn’t lose control of his car and go through the Hoosier Tire area. Again, in my opinion, the people that all surrounded the pit stalls were more of a problem then the two drivers. If all of you really wanted to see racing and only racing, you wouldn’t have run through the pits to see a fight, which is what you were all looking for. As for John returning, I was a little shocked myself when I saw him entering on the racetrack, and when I asked my dad that night, he said he didn’t see John retaliate, he was already getting on the golf cart to head down there, and no officials spoke up until after the race. As far as what happened in the pits, I could not tell you, because I was in the tower. But I, for one, saw every single move on that racetrack and I still would love to know what you would have done in that situation?? It’s like someone randomly pushing you into a corner and beating you up? No where to go and no way out, so I guess you all would stand there and take it? Well I sure as hell wouldn’t, whether it be with my fist or a vehicle. As for both cars speeding in the pits, it's always happened at Riverhead, and no one has ever been suspended for it, I believe it’s a $50 fine. And lives wouldn’t have been it jeopardy if the people would worry more about their own actions then those of others… I for one really have no clue what Tommy was thinking Saturday, but from what he told the officials, he has no problem with my brother, he just had to get back at my father and the only way was through his son, and let me say it takes a SAD individual to say that!

Fkraft99
06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Erin you are wrong about one thing, the lives that were in jeopardy cannot be blamed on the people that left the stands. I watched from the pit stands as a group of about 10 people were walking towards the blackboard to check out the finish of some race, including my mother and father. I thought to myself I sure hope they are paying attention cause these 2 are going to fly through the pits. My dad told me he witnessed no less then 6 people that were walking TOWARDS the track that had to DIVE out of the way because of how they drove though the pits. No matter how many people left the stands, there is still a VERY large amount of people that remain in the pits during the mod feature. And to drive through the pits like that, with the amount of damage that they had was absolutely ridiculous. I don't care if no one has ever been suspended before for speeding through the pits, those 2 should be, on top of whatever suspension they get for their actions on the racetrack.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Like I said, it was wrong and I wasnt there.

RacinRob
06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I do hope that both these drivers receive lengthy suspensions, and not because I dislike either of them. I think they both are pretty talented and never had a problem with either of their driving styles. But if one is suspended and not the other, or both aren't suspended (not likley), it will just set the bar for other drivers and it will basically show people that this is ok and we can get away with it. This week should be a wake up calls for every driver in every division. They should be ashamed that there are little kids in the stands that one day want to be a racecar driver. Just because they are JUST Riverhead Raceway drivers doesn't mean they are not role models. People that paid 20 dollars for last week should all be very, very, very upset that they paid to see the WWE on wheels and not a great night of Saturday short track racing.

unowho243
06-14-2005, 05:30 PM
To be honest with you I would have retaliated too, I am not one to just sit there and take abuse and trust me I Dont take things like that lightly. If someone is trying to Hurt me or damage something of mine, they're going to get it right back, even worse! (but once again, this is just me)

The Bullfather
06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Erin, the problem I have is that last year, J.R. Bertuccio and Mike Curtis had the same problem and both of them were forced to miss a couple of races! Neither driver hit each other extremely hard in the infield! But they both had a push and shove match in the bullring, as did John and Tommy! They both need to be punished! :-|

btgoss
06-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow. Wish I had actually made it out to the track last week. (This is going to be my week, unless I hear more of this stuff.)

I wasn't there, and all I am seeing is what I read on this site. But the fact that the #3 was not sent home after what happened is just wrong. I can also see where that might make someone think there is favoritism going on. I hope there is a better explaination about what happened.

I am surprised that Anderson was so rough, I always hope the old school guys show more control then that, but when in Rome right? Jimmy Blewett on the other hand has shown this kind of "passion" in the past. One of the last races I was able to attend was a ROc race at Wall, and he did something similar there as I recall, refusing to fall in line and then leave the track. It was almost two years ago at this point, but some people are always a bit hot in pressure situations.

One thing did strike me while reading about the nights events. Are the modified features being run as the nightcap? And will this be happening this weekend? I will finally get to the track this weekend, but with the marathon of racing on the card, that will be a long show to sit through to get to see the modifieds.
Also, with the loss of a few cars now, what has the number of modifieds been each week?

thanks,

BWR
06-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Just 1 thing on this? Nascar official coming saturday night?from DAYTONA

modprincess8x
06-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey Bullfather- Curtis didn't get suspended last year after the incident with J.R. I just went through my notes and he ran every race, I don't believe J.R. got suspended either although he was racing on and off for a bunch of weeks. As far as what happened Sat, both should be suspended. Tommy was completely wrong for taking his problems with Billy out on Johnny. Johnny was wrong to retaliate although I understand why he did it and most drivers would do the same. I guess we will see what happens next.

44chargerfan
06-14-2005, 08:18 PM
JR's car was suspended not JR himself. He ran Richie Carman's 19 the week his car was suspended. I actually hope that the NASCAR officials do come so this garbage will finally come to and end.

LongIslandJam
06-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Brian,

You're not talking about the same incident. Curtis and JR were not suspended for their actions period from last year.

Second, the incident you were referring to was during the Tour race where JR got suspended for his actions. The second week he was suspended but rain cancelled the races after qualifying was held. Car qualifies, not driver, so when it was run the week after, JR could run Carman's car since he was off suspension and Carman's car qualified.

Golf Guy
06-14-2005, 09:22 PM
In response to btgoss "Are the modified features being run as the nightcap? "
No because the other races were run so well and quickly, they actually had to delay as much as they can so everyone would get there and we could see the modified demo!

lets get it on
06-14-2005, 09:31 PM
JR nor Curtis or their cars were suspended last year. JR was in his car, painted like Richie's 2 years ago because JR was suspended for fighting with Frank V. . JR was suspended for 1 week, but that week was rained out after heats, So JR came the next week with a painted car to make the rain date. So if anyone should be getting suspended, it should be Blewett, because JR and Frank did for the same thing 2 years ago and also Frank apealed it and I believe he won, I'm not sure on that one.

lets get it on
06-14-2005, 09:34 PM
The tour race incident happened 3 years ago when he won the championship, Carmen's deal was 2 years ago, Curtis' deal last year.

ReptarRacing
06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, I really wasn't going to post on this subject...but after reading everyone elses posts I might as well add my 2 cents.

Tommy used his car as a weapon and what he did was very intentional. He had no prior confrontations with Johnny at all. Johnny was the victim in this case. And everyone on this board would have done the same thing as Johnny did. No one is going to tell me anything different. Johnny was basicly sucker punched and unfortunately that sucker punch cost him alot of money and time in repairs to his car this week.

As far as speeding in the pits...Both are guilty of that. The only difference was Tommy went through the pits sideways and Johnny was straight. When Johnny went to go back out on the track the whole crowd (people that did not belong there to begin with) went from one side of the pits to the other. People were trying to get in the way of his car to go after him. But I guess to all of you that is ok. I watched as Tommy almost hit quite a few people on his way down to his pit stall, I also watched him spin his car and aim it directly at the Hoosier Tire Area. Maybe he was waiting to give Johnny another shot when he came in. I guess no one realizes that he could have really hurt Johnny, all because he had to be stupid.

Unlike any of the other posts JR, Curtis and whomever, there is a big difference here. As I said before there were no prior confrontations to warrant Tommy going after Johnny.

Again just my opinion.

LongIslandJam
06-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Ok lets get it on. Thanks for the 3-year recap on JR's run ins with folks LOL...

As this topic has been talked about it great length, and seeing how it starting to turn into a JR tread (ahh, when life was simpler) means we have vented all our anger and it's time to relax and move on.

I am going to sum this thread up folks, and call it an end to this roundtable discussion, as it has been interesting and all sides have been represented I feel....

We ALL agree what happened on Saturday was wrong on both sides of the coin. Tom Rogers, Jr. was wrong to firstly disobey officials orders to get in line causing a dangerous situation. Secondly he was wrong to vent on John's car in the manner he did so. Denniston, while normal to retaliate, was wrong to do so anyway (just because it's normal, doesn't make it right).

While in the pits, neither Tommy nor John did anything wrong besides recklessly speeding through the pits. Both Tommy and John sped through the pits like bats out of hell. Both drivers are guilty of this as well. The mob mentality definitely proved evident which caused some problems (as it always does). Folks should learn to mind their own business, but unfortunately its human nature not to (yes, I am guilty of this too).

Should have John been allowed on the track is debateable and hindsight is always better than foresight.

Let's move on from this weekend's events as I am sure Tom Rogers, John Denniston, Wayne Anderson, Jimmy Blewett and their respective teams have heard enough about this. All of the aforementioned racers are top notch racers, good people normally, but unfortunately this past weekend they made mistakes as we humans can do.

So on that note, I close this thread and hopefully we can learn from this and move on.