PDA

View Full Version : When did the grands roll out

racing#s
07-11-2005, 07:59 AM
It looks really light out in the JAM pics on the site. What time did the grands come out for the race? It's supposed to be 'under the lights', but it appears to be under the light...lol.

99racing
07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
it had to be about 630.. they went out between the truck feature and the Blunderbust feature..

LongIslandJam
07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I kinda doubt this will happen for other Enduro divisions. Grands seem to be a very clean division, but every other tends to be a smash 'em bash 'em race.

rockandrollcafe
07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
The Grands were supposed to be on after the mods and before the school bus figure 8. But then "they?" decided we would run after the first race (pro trucks). Everyone that called the track was told we were racing 2nd to last. They were in for a great disappointment when they arrived and paid to get in and our race was already over. I tried to explain this to the higher ups and was in for a rude awakening. I was told "SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE". I explained that a lot of us had people coming later and it fell on deaf ears. I don't care for people that don't care about me. So guess what- My attitude is now-"SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

racing#s
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Last year I was told that the 4/6 cyl trucks would come out next to last. SO.....thats what I told the 4,5 people,including my scorer. Well....you can guess the rest ! We were told pretty much as soon as we got there we were going out. The 4,5 people missed the race,I had to give someone $20 to score for me and the relaxation factor was out the window. So,this year Im telling the people coming we're coming out at 6.,which also may be a bad guess.When you call to get an answer 'they' tell you,"it should be",and or alot of maybes as far as when you will race.

LongIslandJam
07-11-2005, 03:49 PM
To be honest, anyone coming after the show begins at 6 is a huge hinderance. From the regular team standpoint, if a caution comes up and you need to pit, there's nothing more frustrating than your race car being stuck behind a trailer moseying its way through the pits.

WEEZER
07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey JA, are you insinuating I was moseying along? I was just looking for a place to park. I had to take my son to therapy at 3pm, so I couldn't take off to the track until 5pm. I called my bb buddy, who said the line-up was trucks, then the grands, and I couldn't believe it, so I called the track to double check and the track said no, grands go on before the bus race so I backed down from 75 on the LIE to 60mph, only to find out when I got to the track to hurry up, the grands go on after the trucks. What really sucks is that because the grands were running before the other divisions, a few guys got black flagged for leaks or what not. When if it was Sunday show, they normally wouldn't have. I can see the tracks point of view of keeping the track clean, but it's not what most enduro's are used to.
On another note, wouldn't it be cool to have a BB and GRAND shoot out, running the two divisions together, with handicapping, of course, for the lighter grand cars and it could bring the car counts up quite a bit too!

LongIslandJam
07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Missing my point. This is the Saturday regular show. You guys wanted to be treated like the big leagues, so we all make our sacrifices. Sometimes life throws you a curveball and you can't make it on time, but either way TRY to prepare to be there on time and that's 6PM. No one from the Enduros should be complaining about this, as all of us that normally race Saturday nights need to be there by the features and all of us do.

And yes, if your trailer is coming into the pits during a feature, it certainly seems like your moseying on down when you are trying to work at the speed of light for an emergency repair.

And for leaks, you guys in the Grands wanted to be treated like a typical Saturday night division. Now you feel the typical Saturday night racer's stress :D :-B .

Maybe running at the end of the night is a better idea, but hey, think of it this way. You guys are getting more promotion to the masses. Many just come to see the regular divisions there and leave right after. This way kind of forces you guys to get viewed by the regular masses. Just something to ponder.

Another thing to ponder. What do you Grand Enduros want? All of the competitors have mixed feelings about the division. You wanted to be treated more like a regular division, but many of you are starting to realize it's not all cracked up to be. Quite a few of you suggested Hoosiers. It does give you guys an even playing field, but man, #1 they are pricey for a once a month racer, and #2 they are certainly different. This is just one of many examples. Many want to run more Saturday night shows. But the moral of the story is: "be careful what you wish for."

Gravel
07-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I think the point was that your getting 2 different stories from reliable sources. Your friend who was looking at the the list of events and the track office, who should know. Oh, JA, I like the last part of your post!!! :-B

LongIslandJam
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I understand about the scheduled events Gravel. It should be as solid as possible, but as you know, sometime events dictate a change in schedule and it is the promoter's right to change a schedule. It's more advantageous for a solid schedule, but sometimes a change is required. Which leads me back to my other point. Be ready at 6PM. I understand things come up which prevent you from getting there on time, but if you're a true racer, you'll be there ON time if there's no reason for you to be late.

rockandrollcafe
07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Something was definitely cheesy about it. Regardless-you don't continue informing paying customers that the Grand Enduro's are going on 2nd to last once the decision is made to run them 2nd. It was WRONG!!!!!
Also-if I am not mistaken, myself and 2 other guys were the last Grand Enduro drivers to arrive and we were there at 4:30.

pitbull113
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Face it the enduros will never get the respect the other divisions get. We are just another source of revenue to them.

racing#s
07-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Last year, regarding the night race, I called the track and was told we'd hit the track almost last. So, although I was told we'd be last, I was signed in by 4:30. But because of the info I was given, I told 4 people I work with & my scorer that we'd race after 8pm (which was conservative). Well, you know the end of the story, the 4 people missed the race, and I had to pay a kid $20 to score for me. The track obviously has the right to do what they want but, like Rocknroll cafe says, IT'S WRONG! This year, to avoid embarrasment I'm not even mentioning the race to my co-workers because of what happened to the grands. My scorer will be there when I get there, so I have piece (peace!) of mind.

rockandrollcafe
07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Exactly! I Usually have a minimum of 10 people driving almost an hour one way to see me race. Between admission, food, and souvenirs, (which are all ridiculously overpriced) they spend a good amount of money. That has now changed. From now on- we will all meet at The Jailhouse Inn in Copiague (my newest sponsor) after the race and watch the video together. Now, they won't have to drive an hour to be disappointed. And my friends and family will be treated the way "I" want them to be treated. Problem solved.

rockandrollcafe
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Walt- thats been clear. the problem is and this is my last post on this subject. "If the board says Grands after Trucks" then tell the paying customer the same thing. They were 200% WRONG!

Gravel
07-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Which is what I meant in my post to JA. Maybe, if someone gave a copy of the blackboard list to the track office, these problems won't happen again. Just a suggestion.

WEEZER
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey WJ, like I said in a previous post, I called the track at 5pm after my buddy in the pits said the grands go on after the trucks (as on the board) and then I called the track who said no, the grands go on just before the bus fig8 race, so yes it's a good idea to have better communication. Not that I'm complaining, I had fun, even if I should have been there earlier, (sorry JA) but like Bill D said at the June 12th Enduro at the grand drivers meeting, the promoters are not happy with the enduro car counts and we (the grand drivers) should spread the word to other enduro people to get the cars out, or the promoters would rather give the track to bike or car shows on Sundays instead of enduro's. So instead of not coming at all, at least I showed up, so be it late!!
And by the way,why the sigh of relief? You're not working Sundays anymore???

66dgas
07-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I was one of those "people" coming to see the grand enduros race. Had the track told me of the actual time of the start of the enduro race I might have been able to make the start of the race. If I couldn't make it at least it would have been my own decision to come to the races and see the other divisions race knowing I would miss the grand enduros. I called the track twice to check the schedule on race day and was told the grand enduros would be next to last. "Subject to change" sounds to me like "we do whatever we like and too bad for you" which would at least be honest. On another point how can you blame a racer who comes in late for disrupting the pit area when the layout of the track is your doing. If you have a problem there don't blame the racers, fix the track. It seems to me that without the racers there are no races!

Rich Johnson
07-16-2005, 08:48 AM
The office should have better communication with the track.
You do have the option of calling the track on raceday @ (631) 727-0010 for up to date info.
Grands were sent a confirmation letter stating to be at the track by 4:00 PM.
I think we should be respectfull of "Saturday night" procedure and behavior if we want to be included in Saturday shows.

RacinRich

pitbull113
07-16-2005, 09:48 AM
You are 100% right Rich if the track said be there by 4pm then you should have been there by 4pm. If you wanted to take the chance of getting there late so you did not have to wait around for your race then you took the chance on missing out. Besides whats so bad about getting there early and watching some good racing, I thought we were race fans.