PDA

View Full Version : REPOST: New Victory Lane Rule

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
07-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I think it's Unfair! I think that a lot of drivers have more then 10 people on their crews and then bring more people into the Grandstands to watch them. :disgusted :help: :*-(

The Bullfather
07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I counted 23 in Tommy Walkowiak's victory lane photo!

Gravel
07-24-2005, 03:37 PM
The rule has been in effect for over 5 years. 10 people only. However, it hasn't been enforced too strictly over the last couple of years. It was put in place to help move the show along.

nobandwagonhere
07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
i think its a crock. its not consistent and when it is enforced it takes even longer than if everyone just went out.

W. Johnston
07-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I think the people in Victory Lane should be limited to a presubmitted and approved list of Sponsors, immediate Family (wife and children) and Crew only. The ceremony last sufficiently long as it is, and the amount of time it takes to get 30-40 people on and off the track takes away from keeping the show moving along. Those who you might think are being left out get to celebrate just fine in the pits afterwards, from what I've seen.

Just my opinion, not that of LI Jam.

SuperShafts
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I kinda agree with W.Johnston, no offense to other drivers that like to get interviewed and get pictures taken

Rich Johnson
07-24-2005, 09:27 PM
For all the work it takes to win...
I don't think people should be turned away from "the picture"
All people could be exited from the flagstand gate to speed up getting the next race out.

RacinRich

IDRIVEALARGECAR
07-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I think Victory Lane Pictures are what everyone goes to the races for in the first place but at other levels of this sport most victory lanes are off the track and most fans in the stands dont even get to see the celebration there so in light to small town/track racing they should let them have there moment in the spot light because after all it is Riverhead and they just dont have anywhere else they can do it for the fans enjoyment.maybe Victory lane can be in front of the tower in the pits after all there are gates everywhere even where the stands end on the front stretch to enter the pits JC

Golf Guy
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Walt obviously you have not put your hard earned money behind a driver and seen him win. It take $ and man hours(DEDICATION) to get to victory lane. You want to move the show along, this past Saturday after 3 feature events they had to take a 10 minute break(really it was about 20 mins) before they started the modified feature because the show was moving along to quickly. Give me a break, some drivers only get to victory lane once a season or less, let them enjoy it. I know you will have a response because you always have to get the last word in, but this is my thoughts on the subject.

maestri fan 1
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I've never heard of something more stupid in my life. That sucks, because family which is brothers, sisters, neices, nephews, etc. should all be allowed on the track after a victory, and then you have sponsors, well thats an obvious one, and last but not least friends, HELLO!!!!! they come out to watch a friend race and if the win they expect to be allowed on the track. Well al;l i can say is, if they don't get rid of this rule they better not enforce it, because if they do there will be a lot of unhappy race fans!! :mad: :disgusted

I have to add one more thing in, someone said even if they don't let the people out on the track it still takes the same amount of time maybe even longer, well, heres proof of that for you. Last year when Lou Maestri won the title and they didnt let the family, friends, and even crew out on the track, Lou jumped up on to the wall, let everyone congradulate him and then knelt down and to pictures with all of the family, and friends.

JUST LET EVERYONE OUT ON THE TRACK IT WILL TAKE AN EQUAL OR SHORTER TIME!!!!!!

modprincess8x
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
I feel only letting 10 people out really isn't fair. I know my immediate family alone is 6 people besides my brother and then we have the crew, sponsors and my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) that are at the track every week to support my brother. How would we decide who gets to go out to celebrate? Family without a doubt should be there, the crew spends countless hours working on the car and the sponsors give us the money to allow us to run. That's not even talking about the people that we've become friends with over the years at the track...I know I enjoy going out to victory lane and being in "the picture" of my friends that win.

Charlie's Angel
07-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Well in reference to what WJ said "a submitted list of sponsors", that's not always possible because not the same sponsors come each week. Some try to make it when they can. So not sure how that would work. I'm only speaking theoretically of course being that we've never made it to victory lane ourselves as of yet. But I will say that if and when we do I would like to have all that I can of the people who are dedicated to our team and help us. Including friends and family. For now I don't mind waiting while the other winners before us have their 10 or 20 minutes of fame. They work hard and deserve it. I am just as excited for them when they win. I would like to feel what they have felt.
Just my opinion.

maestri fan 1
07-24-2005, 10:22 PM
You know everyone says 10-20 minutes in victory lane. the most i've ever really seen was 20 minutes and that was only for a tour race. It's ashame if this is enforced. :disgusted

W. Johnston
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Okay, did anyone read the "just my opinion" part of what I wrote? Let's take the average scenario listed here, 10-12 minutes for victory lane ceremony. 6 Features per night, that works out to 60-70 minutes of time spent by the fans in the stands sitting idly by. I've listened to what many of them have said around me, and they are not happy when it seems to drag on and on. I realize some drivers have large families, and that others only occassionally get to Victory Lane. My suggestion about a list was just that, a suggestion. I'm not saying limit it to 10 people, but unlimited can be trouble, as I know some teams have quite a large entourage and large families. Everyone of them doesn't necessarily work on the car, but I know, they lend moral support and contribute whatever they can. Think of the drivers lined up for the next feature, suited up and strapped in, especially during the hot weather we've had recently, who have to wait while all these folks are arranged for the photos. Then there is the time it takes for everyone to clear the track before any cars can roll out for the next feature. Maybe a nice Victory Lane area, set up off track, would solve this dilemna for everyone. I personally don't have a problem with it, I have much to keep me busy on a typical Saturday night, but I do hear the buzz around me from the average fans, and I'm just putting that into words they might say if they could.

P.S. Golf Guy- that 10 minute intermission was 38 minutes by my watch, and yes Bob Finan, some of us did time it, LOL!

RACENUT
07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Maybe They Could Have Victory Lane On The Back Stretch, This Way While They Are Taking Pictures, The Cars For The Next Feature Could Be Lining Up.

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
07-25-2005, 12:38 AM
No maybe everyone doesn't necessarily "work" on the car, but there are wives who's husbands aren't home, kids who don't get to see their Daddy's after work because they are out working on the cars. :*-( They all do "sacrifice" for the racecars, and Yes, they want a picture hanging on their wall with anyone and everyone who has something, anything to do with getting that car the Checked Flag. :p
I also think the fans like having a few minutes to get up stretch their legs, run to the restrooms, get a bit to eat, grab a beer, pictures and something from the souvenir stand, or even just to have a conversion with the person next to them. I though it was pretty bad last Saturday night that everything was over by 9:30 p.m. Maybe if they let the victory lane last a little longer they wouldn't have had to have "38 minutes" of nothing out on the track. :confused:

wshultz
07-25-2005, 04:22 AM
I was never there, so I have no room to talk, but I don't see the big deal. You're usually done by 9:30-10 from what I hear, that's pretty early, but yet I forgot you guys usually start around 4, which is screwed up, toO. If there was rain in the forEcast, I could see it differently. Just my opinion. :-| :wave: :wave: :wave:

allhailunc
07-25-2005, 05:27 AM
Try telling that to Danny Turbush&his fans :lol: (Love ya Danny). Personally, I think it's a "crock", but if rules are rules, then they should be adhered to, but that must go for everyone. The next time more than 10 folks go out for the picture on anyone's victory lane celebration, then they might as well chuck the rule out. It is a celebration for all involved (some, not just at the track or at the shop or behind the scenes like some of us are), but for all.

SuperShafts
07-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Lol. Some of you are really funny with the let the fans out on the track because the guy they pull for won..right....that's wonderful that you go and watch and hope and wish, but let them all on the track? For what? Tracks I have gone to, you'rE not a driver in a car, you aren't on the track. Some may give you a flag and a quick 2 questions on the track in front of the people, but that's it. Why do the fans and sponsors and family need to be on the track? Riverhead should have a nice checkered box area.....lmao imagine that, a real victory lane, that would cost a few dollars though, not much, but a few.

You/they/whoever Takes the win, you get to run 2 laps more, even 1 with the flag and then get off the track and go to the victory lane area, where all the fans and sponsors and family can come join you and take pictures.........that's why there is a victory lane area, so you can waste time, hoot and hollar, drop things, spill things, pose and whatever else it is you need to do.....not on the track.

allhailunc
07-25-2005, 08:33 AM
What's the matter Supershafts-haven't you ever been able to celebrate a win? I have been out there for a couple of "Victory Lane" opportunites this year, at the request of friends of mine (yes, I do have friends) that have been able to win. To me, it is a way to not only show that driver that I am happy that they won, but it shows the fans (yes, Riverhead does have fans) that our drivers have a support unlike many other sports that do not allow such a festive mood to occur. :wave: :applause:

oldschool
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
What are the Turbush's going to do?

debbie33
07-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I really think that it is unfair to limit it to 10 people. Between my crew alone that is 10 people not including Kenny the driver, myself the owner or my son. Plus add to that the wives and girlfriends of these guys who do not get to see them during the week or most of Saturday because they are dedicating long hours to my car. Add in sponsors and family members and we are WAY over 10 people. So, please rethink this and let it be more than 10 people.

jimmy'z
07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Anyone know offhand how many races this year (all divisions) had to be ended due to the time limit?

There has to be some kind of logic; unless they just want to be harda$$es about it for no apparent reason.

maestri fan 1
07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe They Could Have Victory Lane On The Back Stretch, This Way While They Are Taking Pictures, The Cars For The Next Feature Could Be Lining Up.

Thats not a bad idea. Just, how would they get the people on the track?

Tower Man
07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I cannot pass judgement on the present situation regarding only 10 people. But Gravel is partially correct. The 10 person rule went into effect in 2001 as a time saver. I personally timed victory lane and it was taking almost 30 minutes per race. Now 30 minutes times 5 divisions is 2 and 1/2 hours of non racing action. Most of the delay was getting the people on and off.

So I started the 10 person rule and, yes, there were exceptions. Wives and immediate family were not part 10. Neither were sponsors. If a team had a situation, and needed more, I worked with them.

I myself never won a feature, but cars that I either owned, worked on or sponserod, have won and yes, it was difficult to say who is in and who is out.
So I would have to agree with the modprincess8x, it's just not fair, but on the other hand, what about the fans who paid $20 to see racing? Just a thought.

Perhaps a Victory Lane off the track, for all who want to be in the picture, and get as many pictures as they want.

Turbo
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Sucks for us, we have family and friends that support us every week. But what ya gonna do, it is what it is. We bring the mob scene.

And they always count my mom and my brothers wife as part of the 10 count when they each win? I thought it was just the engine builder that was not counted?

Jeff T
07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Just my opinion, but I disagree with the rule. I've been in many victory lane celebrations throughout the years, and it has never been a 30 minute victory lane ceremony. Whoever you timed taking 30 minutes in a victory lane ceremony, they are the ones who should be addressed.
So they want to save time during the course of an evening at Riverhead. How about this idea....Let everyone come out for the group photo's first, and then send them back to where they came from while the announcers interview the driver. This way, by the time the driver is done with the interview, everyone else is back to where they are supposed to be. I've seen it done at other race tracks and it works out well.
How about a time limit on victory lane ceremonies? from the time you get out of your car, you have 5 minutes for interview and pictures. If you can't get it done in 5 minutes, too bad. That would save some time, wouldn't it?
If the management is so concerned about wasting the race fan's time, how about this for a unique idea-instead of limiting the amount of people in victory lane to save time, why don't you have the cars come out on the track lined up in order so we don't have to waste 20 minutes per race. I mean, these guys know where they are supposed to start, so why do we waste so much time on the track lining them up? It seems to work at Thompson and Stafford very well, why not here? Here is the perfect solution-the cars are called to the pre-race starting grid as soon as the division ahead of them in line hits the track. Then the field should be lined up in the pits by the halfway point of the previous race. If they are late getting in line, they start in the back. That would save a bunch of time, wouldn't it?
Here is another way to save time-when lining up the field for a restart, the old Riverside Park had the best solution: 1.) You can question the officials decision once, but if the official tells you to start in a particular position, that is where you start. 2.) If you disagree with the officials decision as to your re-starting position, you will start in the back of the pack. 3.) If you disagree again with the officials decision, you will watch the remainder of the race from the pit area. In every show I ever went to there, this made a world of difference in making the show move along, and it cut out a great deal of BS that the drivers would try to get away with.
In my opinion, the bottom line is this: there are a bunch of ways to make the show move faster for the fan in the stands, but don't take away the chance to celebrate with your team because the track wants to save time. Every person affilated with a race team deserves that opportunity to stand in Victory Lane when that opportunity arises. For some people, it may be their only chance to do so when it does happen.

debbie33
07-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Sometime the victory lane pictures and speeches take longer than others because of all of the pictures taken by the different photographers for the sponsors for the divisions.
Example if there is not a race sponsor they might take a handfull of pics and let the winner say a few words of thanks to his sponsors and crew.
But, on a night like Buzz Chew night, they interview the driver pictures being taken, then they interview the driver with the person from Buzz Chew more pictures taken, then they take the pictures of the crew. So when it is a sponsored night yes it does take longer than a normal night.
So, why not send the crew out during the special pics not wasting time then take a few quick pics and send everybody on their way through the fence at the start finish line so that the next division can come out on the track and just let the people from the pits back in through the gate in between the pits and regular stands in turn 4?

maestri fan 1
07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
People are saying that it takes about a half hour to do victory lane stuff, it really doesnt, or at least it doesn't feel that long. Now with all the breaks taken at the track, they should just use the time for victory lane ceremonies. I don't know if it makes sense, if you think about it it might.

SuperShafts
07-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Lol allhail i don't believe it belongs on the track.
I have watched quite a few friends win, some were just close friends, some had my stuff in there cars, some had a bit of help, i can see them in the pits (or at home) where i believe the celebration should start and finish, now in the pits there isn't a rush and you can take all the pictures you want. Better question would be why is there not one little spot there with a nice little 20x 20 checkered flag section just outside the tracks in and out
Think about it the pictures would come out better, and the right people would be in the right pictures if it wasn't rushed and was off track

nobandwagonhere
07-25-2005, 10:12 PM
What about the cautions that have taken 20-30 mins? Should we limit the field to "10" cars?

modified_fan
07-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Riverhead Raceway is a business. I truly understand the point that the shows need to run in a timely matter to keep the paying customers entertained. There have been many good suggestions here for alternatives to the current long front stretch 'events'.

I've been blessed to be out there many times as a sponsor. Last night I counted a few previous Mod 15 group pictures. One had 20 people and another had 23. In these pic's 90% of those in there come to this place week after week after week from the COLD of April through September, no matter if the weather is lightly raining or gorgeous. How can myself or Wayne look someone in the eye and tell them they can't come onto the track with all they do for us?

This 90% (AS WELL AS most in the other team's pictures) put there free time, energies and $$$'s into Riverhead raceway supplying the product or great racing.

Any attempt to limit the people would be a LUDICROUS business decision. It would bite the hand that feeds the back gate and any hope at profits for the owners.

Lots of us put a huge amount of our resources into racing here. There has to be a better solution than this rule.

Douglas Corwin

W. Johnston
07-26-2005, 11:32 AM
You've sold me, Doug, you have made some very good points here, and I agree with all of them.
Everyone disregard my previous post in this thread, I wasn't thinking clearly, LOL.
Thanks for your input, Doug, and all the others who've made some fabulous suggestions here. Now to find a way to combine them and put them into practice on a weekly basis. I particularly like the one about waiting until after the photos for the PA interview, since it would allow Bob or Jeff to leisurely walk down after calling the end of the race. They probably won't care for it, as I guess they are looking for spontaniety by interviewing the driver as soon as they exit the car, but it's worth a try if it will please more people. :)

maestri fan 1
07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
W.J. thats a great idea but the question I have about this whole entire episode is, Will they enforce it , or are they just saying from now on we have to hurry things up so make it quick.? As for another thing, finally someone says that the victory lane ceremonies don't take a half hour, THANK YOU!! Your right! When Lou wins i think the longest i was on the track for was 20 minutes, and that was for when he won the 46 lapper Costa memorial, the rest of the times it's no joke 5 MAYBE 10 minutes. Well we shall see this upcoming weekend on how they approach this entire thing.

LongIslandJam
07-26-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm going to make a statement.

Maestrifan1, you are eluding to the issue. 10 minutes is fine, but that's 10 minutes of inaction which the fans in the stands get bored. Ideally you want action non-stop, with maybe one intermission max. It's why at a circus you have clown acts to provide entertainment while they set up for the next act. It's why at a Knicks game that you have entertainment courtesy of the Knicks City Dancers in between quarters. While in between sessions the entertainment may be "lame," it's something to keep most fans in the stands entertained while giving them an out to get something to eat or drink or buy a souvenir or two.

How entertaining is a victory lane celebration at Riverhead from a FAN's perspective? Besides the interview, it's not more exciting than watching paint dry. It's dead time that could be used for other things, such as another feature.

Don't get me wrong now. I AGREE that an unlimited amount of folks should be granted the thrill of experiencing victory with their favorite driver. HOWEVER, you have to remember that the track is constantly fighting the battle of pleasing fans while pleasing competitors. Sometimes you can please both, but sometimes you can't. I always err to the fan side as they provide the support for the competitors to keep racing (then again this can become an issue of chicken and egg, which came first?).

Just be thankful you can experience victory lane on the track. Many tracks celebrate outside the track (such as Seekonk).

I disagree with you Walter on having interviews done after photos. This seems like it will create further down time and inevitably that announcer needs to hurry and travel up for the upcoming feature. Good try, and at least you're thinking of a solution.

To be honest, I don't feel there's a good way to solve this issue. I got mixed feelings about it as I can see both sides. Maybe after some thinking I can figure out something but right now I'm not sure what can be done to improve the situation for everyone.

W. Johnston
07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
On a lighter note, any chance we can supply Allhailunc with a stop watch to time the victory lane ceeremonies this week, with the exception of the Modified ceremony, which will understandably be longer tan 10 minutes. :cool: How about it, Larry??? :rolleyes:

LongIslandJam
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Speaking of stopwatches, ever try timing a race? The Late Models put on a show just under 6 minutes. Their 50-lapper was just under 11 minutes. These guys are doing awesome this year. Keep it up!

allhailunc
07-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Does that mean I get paid, Walt? Only problem is someone's gonna have to explain to me which one of Mickey's hands is which. Then again, if you're "wanting" for entertainment during those long delays, maybe Ric Flair and I can take on any 2 who want our belts (lol-I don't need one to hold my drawers up). :lol:

LongIslandJam
07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Didn't they have amateur wrestling once at Riverhead. When I read the Mick Foley biography, he met his future wife at Riverhead Raceway after a match there...

Golf Guy
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
JA you know their is breaks in the action at all sporting events. Baseball has between innings breaks, football has a change of possession and so on. How about stealing ideas from other sports? Have a Riverhead mascot, or an 'action team', shooting t-shirts into the crowd or handing out flags to kids? I still do not see why Riverhead officials would want to move the show along so quickly. This is less time eating, drinking and spending money at the race track. Look, I am not asking for the races to end at midnight, but I have not seen too many nights when they get done late?

LongIslandJam
07-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Golf Guy, you're on the track, which is where I was trying to lead you.

Those are excellent ideas. Something to keep folks entertained while the show moves on.

The ideal length for a show I think is 3-4 hours. Any longer and it becomes a hassle for a family to go. It's good that the show can move quickly, but bad that you've got spots where nothing is going on.

You hit the nail on the head, also. Any sporting venue doesn't make most of their money on entrance fees, but the profit comes from the concession stands. Breaks are needed for the concessions stands, but during the lulls of the night, something needs to go on to keep folks somewhat entertained, as you don't visit the concessions every inning at a baseball game, you do it once in a while, or at the very least, at the 7th inning stretch.

SuperShafts
07-26-2005, 08:28 PM
JA you know their is breaks in the action at all sporting events. Baseball has between innings breaks, football has a change of possession and so on. How about stealing ideas from other sports? Have a Riverhead mascot, or an 'action team', shooting t-shirts into the crowd or handing out flags to kids?

I don't see how comparing football or baseball to autoracing is comparable, but lets look at baseball 1st since the advent of all the sponsoring bs with tv a simple game takes hours now, wonderful now you have so much free time i don't even watch it anymore...just to much free time. Baseball like football have people going around with food and drinks, just like they do at riverhead, the food and drink isn't the problem, the bathroom is as far as time to miss something, i just go when it isn't something im not to interested in running around the track
Football has half time..lol not for you the fans but for the players, if not for the players you wouldn't have a half time.

I still do not see why Riverhead officials would want to move the show along so quickly. This is less time eating, drinking and spending money at the race track. Look, I am not asking for the races to end at midnight, but I have not seen too many nights when they get done late

When it goes late adding time to it it keeps the police there longer...that costs money, and moving the pictures and interview off track would be the best thing.....you can't forsee the future and the wreck that will take more time than usual to clean up, and wrecks have more to do with racing than wasting time taking pictures and saying HI everybody i won just in case you got confused and couldn't tell, take the flag make 2 more laps go off the track to the victory lane (something they should have), if it's the last race of the night then and only then can i see playing games on track.

Now for all involved with the car putting in time and money lets think about this intelligently for a moment because i have seen it in quite a few posts, the wife, the kids, the girlfriend, sponsor whoever doesn't get so much time with the driver, husband, father, owner......well just a little common sense here, don't you think you would have more quality time if it was MOVED OFF TRACK where you aren't being rushed and can actually Take the PICTURE THE WAY YOU WANT TO, rather than ok you get out hurry up quick get in get in.

It should be like this, you win they hand you the flag you make 2 laps in case anyone got confused and didn't quite catch it, you pull off in the exit gate and it's done up with a checkered floor and they interview 1st with a few quick questions, and then you can all waste all the time in the world taking all the pictures you want and how you want without being rushed....

Jeff T
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
How is this for the victory lane problem: What if you built a victory lane area just out side of the turn 4/frontstretch area where there are no bleachers. This way, after the on track interview, the driver takes the car off track to this area where his crew and any supporter from the grandstand side can join in the festivities. It would not interupt the ontrack action and anyone who would want to participate or view the ceremonies would be able to do so. You would have to fence in the path for the spotters in turn 4,as well as from the general grandstand area. There would have to be a gate for those allowed in from the grandstand, but the whole thing could work. There is already a paved road there, so the driver could drive right off the track from turn 3 and drive directly to this area for pictures.

modprincess8x
07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
And while these victory lane ceremonies take place off the track who is on the track taking pictures of the race? The track only has one photographer and he needs to take pictures of victory lane and action shots of the race not only for the drivers but for the track too.

I like the idea of having the group pictures first, or at least right after the interview, then take the pictures with the track sponsors and the driver by himself. Or instead of limiting the number of people on the track limit the number of pictures taken (excluding the track sponsor pictures).

Gravel
07-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, unfortunately, whatever decision they make will not please everyone. After reading this thread from start to finish, to me, the only logical suggestion is, to do the pictures first, interview second. I know it would be difficult to do, but having the next feature line up in the staging area as close as they could to the starting order could help move the show along too.

The Bullfather
07-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Believe Foley meet his wife at the races!!! They did have wrestling there like once, wasn't there for it! lol

DAN D.
07-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Racin Rich Ditto on first respone you made :applause:

allhailunc
07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Hey Bullfather-yes they did in the late 80's dead center of the "X".We can revive that if I can get Ric Flair(lol) to agree to it. :wave:

Jones44
07-27-2005, 06:05 AM
I believe Mick Foley (in his "Cactus Jack" alter ego) was one of the main attractions. Allhail, how about you and Hulk Hogan vs. Flair and Shawn Michaels (Team Mustache vs. The Pretty Boys LOL). But back to the original topic of this thread, Tower Man says this rule went into effect in 2001? I never heard mention of the rule back then (and don't recall it ever being enforced). Joe?

LongIslandJam
07-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Rule definitely was in effect in 2001. I remember it well, as the Turbushes were the first to experience the crunch of only 10 (and we know that anyone and everyone at Riverhead is a Turbush or related to them in some way). Then the past few years it's been pretty liberal. But the rule remains there and I suspect they're trying to get the show more efficient and see how much time they can play with to add more things to the show or play with the schedule for your benefit. Then again this is speculation.

SuperShafts
07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
And while these victory lane ceremonies take place off the track who is on the track taking pictures of the race? .

Your wife/husband/kids/friend/crew/someone can take your action pictures, why does the track photographer have to take action shots as well.

1 camera set up in the middle of either turn and a remote button given to the flagman will get every little piece of action ever to happen there.

lol the complications

modprincess8x
07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
The track photographer has to take the action shots for the Cromarty's. It goes on their website and they send them to whoever they have to send them to.

SuperShafts
07-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Well then, they can set up a camera in either turn and or take the pictures thereselves(THEMSELVES?), if there (THEIR?) really worried about time on the track and money, they should use there (THEIR?) head.

Tracy87BB
07-27-2005, 08:26 AM
I can attest to the fact that the rule was in effect in 2001, as the officials on the ramp were counting heads when we went out on the track after Chris won the BB championship that year. Guess it got a little confusing that night, as there were crews for both the race winner and for us trying to get out on the track at the same time...either way, they did tell us that we were only allowed 10 people.

maestri fan 1
07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm Maestri Fan 1's Dad... If Time Is The Issue, Maybe They Can Try This. At T-road Ken Squire Brings Out The Winners With Their Cars From The Week Before. He Annouces Them All One At A Time. It Takes About 5-10 Minutes And The Families, Friends, Sponsors, And Crew Have Pictures Done In The Pits. I'm Not Saying I Agree Totally With This, I'm Just Posting 1 More Idea. I Myself Feel 10 Or 20 People On The Track Won't Make Much Difference, At Least Not Enough To Make This Type Of Change... As Far As Non-stop Action, We Would Need A Much Larger Track For That... Let's Keep In Mind It's A Bull Ring, Things Happen And It Takes Time For The Track Crew To Do The Best Job They Can Do To Clean It Up.. Let's See What Happens...

The Bullfather
07-27-2005, 01:24 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Wheel Racing
07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Guess it got a little confusing that night, as there were crews for both the race winner and for us trying to get out on the track at the same time.

That should have been easy, the race winners crew was dressed in Orange!! :)

Tracy87BB
07-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Maybe your CREW was dressed in orange, but I think between the two of us we had close to half of the division out there!

The Bullfather
07-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Good thing Bubba Zwickel hasn't race and won in some time, half the pits would come out to his victory lane photo! hahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :-|

W. Johnston
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
My guess is if Bubba ZWICKEL had been there, everyone in the pits would have come out. :rolleyes:
Mr Zwickel also hasn't RACED in some time, either. What a coincidence!?

I have no idea who that other guy is. Does anyone else???

RACENUT
07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I Don't Think Anybody Should Be On The Track But The Driver. Let Him Do His Victory Lap With The Flag, Take The Pictures And Let Him Thank His Crew And His Sponsors. When He Goes In The Pits, His Crew Can Congratulate Him Then. His Family And Friends Who Do Not Have Pit Passes, Can Congratulate Him After The Races. This Will Save Time And Also Prevent Anybody Falling On The Track And Getting Hurt, Which We All Know Can Happen. Then maybe there would be enough time to have all the divisions run every week for the race fans and still have some circus acts for the kids.

DAN D.
07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
DITTO to racenut !! :applause:

allhailunc
07-28-2005, 05:29 AM
:applause: :applause: Ed "Bubba"Zwickel ran both the Blunderbust 55 &the late model 1. One of the finest & kindest individuals I have ever met and damn proud to call him a friend. His promise to Jones on his 12th birthday-to win the race-was one of the, if not, the greatest moment I have ever experienced. And talk about post race stuff & victory lane. I still have the picture taken by the track photographer of Larry looking into the window as Bubba was climbing out. Post race interview-nah Bubba's first reaction was to pick Larry up in his usual "bear hug" and say over the microphone "How's that for a birthday present?". Anyone who knew/knows him knows what I'm talking about. :applause:

maestri fan 1
07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I disagree RACENUT, it's taking the glory away from the driver. From my point of view if I were to ever take down a win in the stock car ranks, I would want nothing more than to have my crew, family, and friends on the track to participate in the victory lane ceremonies. That's just how I feel.

Jaws
07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
When you have 2 races that go as quickly as last Sat and the night lasts as long as it did, there's a problem.

There are a lot of kids in the stands and when there is so much down time its tough to get them to sit still.

At Riverhead you get a long night when there are a lot of wrecks and a long night when there are few wrecks. Take your pick.

At one point in the mod race they was a long break and the announcers even said "We don't know why"

Nights like Sat are the nights that make me travel 2-3 hours to go to a track where they don't mess around and get you home early if they can.

PS: Don't limit the people, limit the time. Maybe put victory lane on the backstrech so when the winners are done the next race can come out quicker and stage.

maestri fan 1
07-28-2005, 04:18 PM
I thought that was a great idea, then my dad said to me how would they get the people on and off the track?

LongIslandJam
07-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Jaws, that's not a bad suggestion at all. Back straight victory lane would eliminate a lot of issues. Cars could line up while victory lane ceremonies finish up, creating a very solid sequence of events.

One more thing... An outside victory lane would create other issues. Officials like to keep an eye on what happens to the car before it enters tech. An outside victory lane would mean the need for more officials.

Also, keep in mind this year the racing has been really good... Out of the 6 seasons we've been covering the events, this season has witnessed some of the best and cleanest racing to date. There are some exceptions, but this year is an uncharacteristically year of clean racing, creating less cautions. On a typical Riverhead night, an event had the average of 3-5 cautions. This year, it's 1 or 2 and that makes a big difference and thus creates lags in the program.

The Bullfather
07-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Backstraight Victory lane would also mean more people in the background in the photos, makes the sponsors look good!!! :applause:

SuperShafts
07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Looks like you guys finally got it, now you just gotta explain 10 times to the guy at the track and use a few different people

Jimmy D.
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
I haven't read all of the posts. Has anyone thought about the drivers for the next race sitting in a car that gets about 140 degrees. Not to mention a fire suit, fire shoes, helmet and gloves. Let me tell you, when your sitting there, you can't wait to get moving, so you can get just a little air. So if allowing only 10 people on the track speeds things up, I'm all for it.

KickItUp
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Don't strap in so soon.. You know when there are a few laps to go, to start getting ready.. Then, by the time you get strapped in, and ready to go, it'll be time to be on line.. I see plenty of guys do that. At least you aren't in a BB, where you have no idea when it will get started, but have to be on line ready and waiting, in case they line you up as you go out..

As for complaining about the heat.. You know what they say.. If ya can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.. :)

Jimmy D.
07-29-2005, 09:15 PM
KICKITUP, I start strapping in with about 5 laps to go. I guess from being a health care professional for so long, I know it's not healthy to have your body temperature go so high. Have you ever heard the word STROKE. Having a STROKE knows no age.

Tower Man
08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Jimmy D...if you hydrate yourself properly, eat whole grains and restrict carbs, the heat will not be a factor. Plus, many drivers at Riverhead in the lower divisions wear 1 layer fire suits and no under garments. Sweat is the bodies natural cooling off mechanism and if not properly hydrated, you cannot sweat. WEearing the proper undergarments also attracts the sweat and actually helps in the cooling of the body.

I can't believe a post about victory lane has turned into gripes about sitting in the hot cars.

Most tracks don't have victory lane celebrations on track. And no matter what the solution some folks will still be upset.

maestri fan 1
08-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I thought this was about people's thoughts of how many people should go in victory lane, not a health course.

Charlie's Angel
08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Well are you learning anything Matt? Just when you thought school was out until September. Pay attention. Jimmy knows a bit about health issues. He has been in the medical field for 20 plus years. Although, Joe seems to have lots to say on the subject as well. So you never know when you're going to learn something so remember to pay attention! :)

hollywoodmic
08-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Another part of the problem we used to have years ago and Tower Man can attest to this. People would come from the stands onto the track and walk into the pits. No license. We even had a fan in the pit stands one year get in an argument, during the next feature and start a brawl, again no NASCAR license. The idea of the Victory Lane on the back stretch, I made that suggestion years ago, but they put it on the front stretch off the track so they could get the cars out. One problem, you couldn't hear the interview with the cars going by. So Roger Meion (former sound tech) said no equipment can run while an interview was going on. So now, that slowed down the track crew, and so on and so on. I agree with a lot of your opinions on both sides of the arguement. I don't see the need for more than 20 people on the race track, but I also can't see them limiting it to 10. I think everyone should look at this post and take it in your own hands, try to move things along while you're in Victory Lane and no one will break your chops. We can all help the officials out by moving things along, then 20 or even 30 people won't be a problem. The officials are just trying to move the show along for the other 3,000 people doing nothing in the stands.

Steve Halpin

Jimmy D.
08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
TOWER MAN, First of all, my post was not a gripe. Just stating the facts so maybe someone who doesn't know these things, might understand what could happen. It's not just a hydration issue, It also has to do with over heating ones brain. But thanks for the lesson. Us LOWER CLASS DRIVERS don't have helmet air conditioners to keep our little brains cool. As for you MAESTRI 1 FAN, If I can post something that might help someone, I will. You don't have to read it. Maybe you should take Angels advice, and pay attention. You might just learn something.

Gravel
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Let me wade in here. There are NO LOWER CLASS DRIVERS!!! All drivers deserve the same amount of respect as they give. Putting a driver down because of what division they run in is, to me anyway, disrespectful. Let's try to get back to what this thread is all about. A place we all are trying to get to, VICTORY LANE!!!

Tower Man
08-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Gravel, you beat me to the punch. There are no lower class drivers. In fact some Blunderbust drivers have more class than some of the WMT drivers. When I watched Saturday night's racing action, I saw one Blunderbust driver who finished deep in the pack, smiling when it was over. And I saw the WMT winnner upset, not enjoying his win as he should have.

Yes, victory lane is needed and warranted. Just tough to control. Everybody has made valid points and there is no right or wrong here. Just each of us stating our opinions on a subject that is near and dear to our hearts.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I totally disagree with that... the WMT winner was very happy and enjoyed his victory lane celebration very much. As for any disputes later making anyone upset, I sure would have been when you almost loose the lead due to lap cars... but this topic is totally venturing off its original post.

LongIslandJam
08-07-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree Erin... And I agree Tower Man. Tower Man, you summed it up perfectly. And on that note, this topic is adjourned, and hopefully in the future a compromise where at least everyone is somewhat content can be met.