PDA

View Full Version : Earnhardt & Gordon,in or out ??

racing#s
08-05-2005, 07:58 AM
The media's pulverizing Gordon & Earnhardts performances. Who thinks they're out of the chase? I'm not a Gordon fan, but he kicks *** at Indy, could be a chance for him to bounce back. Junior's been incredibly inconsistent, so he may not make it.

art11758
08-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Wouldn't bother me if they don't make the cut. The system used to reward consistency, now I'm not sure what it rewards. (besides *******) If the performance isn't there, let the spots in the chase go to those who earn them. Go Speed Eater!

RGeeProductions
08-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Opinions/Predictions:

1. Playoffs suck!!! I have found out from last year, if a person's favorite driver doesn't make it into the final group for the championship, they no longer cared to watch the final 10 races. NOT GOOD. It is true, if you don't make the final group, you really wouldn't take the championship anyway but it's seems to be a mental thing. Drop the playoffs and get back to what it was.
2. More tracks are trying to get into the schedule. HOW? Too many races already and do you think that any track with 2 events a year will want to drop them. Solution: NASCAR buys all tracks and does what IT wants!!!! Solution: As above, let's make 2 divisions OR make 2 seasons. More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Oh boy, this will really go over well.
3. NEXTEL...Watch NEXTEL take over driver frequencies and make the fan have to buy SPECIAL radio to hear whats going on. This has already been tossed out to NASCAR. Then then they can get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the radios themselves. Who loses??? The fans do.... NEXTEL will be losing ground soon as other wireless servers now offer 1 to 1 communication. This was the ONLY thing NEXTEL had over other services but now others are on the bandwagon. Ask any NEXTEL user why they got it. 9 outta 10 will answer because of 1 to 1 or that it sponsors NASCAR. I myself am tired of hearing "searching for NEXTYELL customer", aren't you?
4. Last is the fact that more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ will be toward NASCAR when they go to Pay Per View, and don't think this won't happen. They have their own channel now and I am sure this is just a testing period so they can go this route. Do you understand the $$$$$$$$$$$ this would bring in?

My Fix:
1. Go back to regular points, let them earn their championships on their overall yearly merits.
2. Race from February to Mid November, with 1 week off per month. These guys ARE overworked.
3. Tracks get 1 event per year, let some have 2 but for special events, like Busch Clash, All Star Race, etc. Let's mix up the racing and spread it around.
4. Just another point that bothers me....NO CUP driver allowed into Busch races unless a Cup Rookie. They don't mess up the points for Busch but take away the top $$$$$$$$$$ for finishing higher and these Busch guys work hard too and their teams deserve their money from their division!!!! I do understand that the CUP drivers are driving for BUSCH teams BUT they are not in for the points. I believe this is not fair to Full Time Busch Teams and should be addressed somehow.

RGeeProductions
08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Yes, BUT, not for a full time Busch Driver.

art11758
08-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Whoo boy this is gonna be good..... On the matter of fix #3, ******* is in the entertainment business it appears. Tracks they "compete" at (or bring the circus to) are owned I think by corporations which have reasonable expectations of return on investment. I'm not 100% sure how some would react to having their return cut by 50%. There really isn't at the moment anywhere else for them to get "product" from (IRL? puhleeeze!) so it would be lawsuit city or something like that. I get the impression that there is no particular procedure in place for who gets what race when, although it seems that some were "promised" at some point. Or you get a facility that is bought for its dates and left on the roadside up on blocks. Or stripped of its dates so its seating can be sent to some other venue. I don't think there is a clear answer there.
On "Busch wacking". Doesn't ******* use the invaders to sell tickets? Don't the invaders use the track time to assist in setup for the "big" show the next day? I agree it's a lousy thing for dedicated Busch teams, I just don't see it changing.
The radio thing sounds interesting. Just what fans need to do, $pend more.
Speaking of which, with all of the loot that the ******* sponge seems to be sucking in, when do you think some will trickle back down to promote some of their better product? You know, real Saturday night Dodge Weekly Series Racing. Where the stars of tomorrow are supposed to be coming from. I guess never.

Mortgage Guy
08-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Back to the original point, I think Gordon has a better chance of making it then Jr does, Gordon can go on a streak, and Jr is just too inconsistent..Not a Gordon fan but I call it like I see it..

Reidonly
08-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Opinions/Predictions...

THIS is why I have not watched or followed the Cup Series (and I'm sorry, its still "Winston" Cup to me) for about 3 years now. Thank God for mods and other short track racing. Heck, the trucks put on a great show, its just that the higher up the racing division food chain you get, the more politics etc you have to deal with. Thats why I am turned off to so many other "major league" sports as well.