PDA

View Full Version : Tire impound rule?

btgoss
08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Hello,
In another thread I saw mention of a tire impound rule at Riverhread. Could someone please explain what this is? It sounds like the track officials take the tires at the end of qualifying. Is this is what is happening? And what are they hoping to prevent by doing this? Soaking of tires or some other method of getting more grip from these tires?
Thanks.

LongIslandJam
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
All cars are impounded right after qualifying in an area in the pits where no one is allowed to touch them. This is to prevent situations such as people switching qualifying tires for new tires or "different" tires along with other things.

LongIslandJam
08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh, it's ok to correct me Walter, I'm far from perfect (I'm better than perfect, LOL). Just joking, thanks for clarifying.

btgoss
08-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Man first roids in baseball, now you tell me local racers are cheating by juicing their tires? I find that hard to believe... but then again, I would find it hard to believe that anyone would have a semi-trailer and a complete back-up car for running at the local track, so what do I know?
If the tires have to be impounded, then there is a bigger problem. I have read a lot here about the officials at the track, and the problems that they seem to cause themselves. If they feel they have to impound tires, then maybe some of those things I have read are more fact then fiction. And that would be a shame.

Tower Man
08-12-2005, 04:34 AM
"Tire Juicing", as it was called above, has been prevalant in racing since Henry Ford built the second car.

Even the touring series has put measures in place to make it difficult to put additives on/in the tires. And Mr. Johnston, you are correct. There is stuff out there now that is put into "air tanks" and injected through the valve stem.

Teams will always seek out ways to beat the system.