PDA

View Full Version : The BEST Place for Tour-Type Modified Racing

LongIslandJam
08-09-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm curious where you guys have seen the best Modified racing in the Northeast (only active tracks please). Please post your vote, and make sure you focus on the racing part and not the track amenities, etc.

Mike Fields
08-09-2005, 07:43 AM
JA, sometimes, it's the track amenities that help to add to the experience of watching the race that help to make a track a great place to watch a race; good food, great sound system, knowledgeable announcing team, clean bathrooms, etc.

There is a certain track I can think of where their bathrooms are all Port-A-Potties, which certainly takes away from the enjoyment of a race--- unless you're family likes to sit there all day with your legs crossed!

Mortgage Guy
08-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I watched a Mod race from the pit photographers stand between turn 1 & 2 back in the 90's @ Richmond. Let me tell you there is nothing like seeing those cars come screaming at you, I wish they still ran there.

art11758
08-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Having done a small amount of traveling, there are several venues that I think are great places to watch Modifieds. My favorite though after two visits is Seekonk. Plenty wide for passing, yet small enough to make it exciting. Plus there are seats just about all the way around the place. They need to fix the scoreboard though.

DAN D.
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Thompson- not small , not too big for mods..tour cars 145-155 down the straights. :D

LongIslandJam
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Mike,

I'm looking for best racing. NOT best amenties. While you are correct in your statement, the amentities don't affect the racing. I've seen plenty of crappy racetracks, produce some great racing. I wont mention names, but it happens.

Mike Fields
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Actually, the amenities affect many people's perception of the entire day/night of racing. If they enjoy what the facility has to offer, they'll come back.

That being said, I do agree that tracks that aren't on everyone's hit parade can produce great racing. Waterford Speedbowl, for example, produced three out of four features that we witnessed on Opening Night that had side-by-side photo finishes. Although we had to leave before the final feature, those three races left us with a great impression of the type of racing they have there.

The Bullfather
08-09-2005, 04:51 PM
You forgot one! Loudon? Has to be one of the best, fastest and has a lot of passing when the tour cars are on the money!

LongIslandJam
08-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bullfather...

And yes, while amenities may affect your perception, I am going for the racing content, so put that aside.

Teds Race Tours
08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Nothing beats the Mods at NHIS. If you haven't seen them there, you NEED to go.

Honorable mention to Richmond, Jennerstown, and Thompson

The Bullfather
08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks J.A.

I had to save my vote till it was up! :lol:

RGeeProductions
08-09-2005, 08:34 PM
From where I have been, I like Wall.[Actually Nazareth, but only active tracks]

LongIslandJam
08-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Doesn't matter if it's modified active. Matters if the track is active.

RGeeProductions
08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Oh, now there are rules???? I want Nazareth!!!!

LongIslandJam
08-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Nazareth isn't active period. We gotta get you into track loss grief counseling. Sign me up too! And yes there's rules.

Jones44
08-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Don't feel too bad, RGEE. Some of the best modified racing I've seen was at Flemington. As for active tracks (at least ones that I've seen modified races at either in person or on television), I have to vote for Thompson. Big enough to let the cars get some good speed, and yet still short enough for some good, tight racing. Honorable mention to Watkins Glen- I miss seeing the mods shoot through that chicane.

jimmy'z
08-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Modifieds ...too bad big-block mods on clay don't count :D if so; Fonda was some dirty fun!!
For regular modified fun on the hard stuff than Loudon gets my vote.

44chargerfan
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
you shoulda have made this one a more then one vote poll. its so hard for me to pick here. lol :eek:

TITANrcr16
08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
i went to monadnock twice this year for the true value series and there was some great racing, high banks, fast, the top works great, just an overall great facility, (try the fried dough).....