PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina Help

NJ Chick
08-30-2005, 09:40 PM
What would everyone think of getting ahold of the nearest Red Cross location to the track and finding out what the hurricane victims need? We could have a donation spot at the track somewhere this weekend as a drop off point. As the track is going to be utilized quite a bit this weekend, with regular racing on Friday, the pit party on Sunday, and the NEETS race on Monday, it might be an ideal situation to help those poor people that now have nothing. What do you all think?

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

BlingxBling
08-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Cind, there is a red cross location in Wilkes-Barre, which is about 20 minutes from the track, and like 10 minutes from my house. I can find out for you. I usually putz around the first hour of being at work, I will call tomorrow if you would like. E-mail me at the ssa.gov address and tell me all you want to know, so this way tomorrow, when I come to work, I can do that.

I say let that *&%$#@ of a president shell out the majority of the means to help his OWN country....he can do it for *bites tongue*.....

88racer
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
We are working on getting a tractor trailer and load it with supplies; ie, bottled water, juices, individual snack packs, tooth brushes, hand wipes, etc. and running it down. It's just in the beginning stages, I'll keep you posted! I have a request out to a friend with the tractor and my brother-in-law works for a trucking company, so if we can get use of a tractor. If not we may just take our hauler with a trailer in tow.

We will need to check with the Red Cross though, and see if they are ready for clothes yet.

Sue
Team 88 LM

88racer
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
:applause: Ok, so far so good, we have a tractor and a driver! Now I'm working on the trailer!

Sue

Geno
08-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Man, you people work fast :applause: Count us in, too...whatever you may need (beside a truck and trailer, LOL).

It'll be nice to see the speedway family & folks help those in need.

Just last year we had to go on a trip from work & stayed at the Hyatt. Looking at the pictures of the same building, it's hard to imagine what those folks must have went through, and are going through.

BlingxBling
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I am awaiting the contact back from the representative that would have all the information. I was advised of sometime early tomorrow.

BlingxBling
08-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Money is probably number one on the list of needed things but things such as food, water, clothing, and other daily necessites are just as important. I know they already have things set up around the area that are beginning to collect. Red cross is taking daily trips to these areas, so I highly doubt shipping and the items getting to these places will be a problem.

Hey Billy do you think it is possible that they can take $1 or $2 out of each admission paid to get in this weekend and have it go towards a fund that we can send down to the folks in MS and LA? Maybe also do a 50/50 and donate that as well?

toots
08-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Cyndi
Actually there is a Red Cross location right here in Hazleton. It is located on Route 93, right by the Pizza Hut about 10 minutes from the track. The woman in charge is Joyce Bradbury. Her phone number is 570-455-9517.

NEETS-1
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
MS is the charity benefitting in the Labor Day NEETS race. This is not set in stone...I was simply going to mail the check to the foundation.
I am sure with this emergency and many American people threatened with sickness and death, that I could change this to benefit the Katrina victims...and send all donations to the Red Cross in NEETS members/fans names. I could always hold another benefit for MS at a future date. I think these people are in need now.
What do you all think???

NJ Chick
08-31-2005, 10:52 PM
That's a great idea Billy and Bling, as long as we benefit MS at a later date, why not?
Although the charity is because of the NEETS event, let's not leave out the Mountain divisions. Maybe we could set up a donation box at the track Friday night for easy access for the grandstands and pits...maybe at the photo booth...(paging Joe the killer photographer guy and Toots too :p ) or wherever! Whatcha think?

Racing Rebel
09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
That sounds good Billy. :applause: I think that would go over very well, and it shows that racers do pay attention to what goes on in the world, and don't go around in life with their heads up their exhaust pipes!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Off the top of my head, I don't know what the schedule is for the charities for the rest of the NEETS year, but what about the Monster event, can't that be for MS???

Marissa 2AM

Geno
09-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Billy, I wouldn think the MS charity wouldn't mind receiving another date. There’s a ton of great family and teams at our speedway that I’m sure will help out at a time like this.

I have quite a bit going on this week, but let me know if you want something for the site, and of course we’ll plug it throughout the evening on Friday & during the day on Monday.

CJfilms
09-01-2005, 02:40 PM
We would love to help out, you can use the photo booth as a donation center. Just keep pluggin' us Geno! ?? I know that doesn't sound good, but you know what I mean...