PDA

View Full Version : Computer Security

RGeeProductions
09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
PLEASE NOTE: I try to keep up with computer and web related things. An interesting story I just read claims that there are new threats out there on the web. Seems there has been more hacking and identity theft during the month of July than May and June combined. Note: publications are usually 1 -2 months behind so these threats may be even more as of now. The newest threats seem to be from some new free online services that offer free webpage space OR offer free online picture galleries. PLEASE, this is REAL!!!! When you sign up and access the sites, programs are downloaded at the same time to your computer and info is sent back to the website. This info MAY include any identity [especially if you do online banking and buying] info like credit cards, banking info, name, addy's etc. PLEASE make sure 1. You have either Windows firewall on as a minimum, or I recommend an outside program [Symantec makes one of the best security programs] which covers more than the built-in Windows Firewall does, 2. Current up to date Anti Virus program [again Symantec, which is Norton or McAfee], and 3. Some type of spyware program, Spybot or Ad-Aware. These 2 programs are free, so well worth it. I personally run both. Keep in mind...for the few $$$ this costs vs the loss of credit card or identity, well, it's more than worth it!!!! I know this may sound like a lot to some but the risks personally and to your computer are great.

BWR
09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Also, there's a good program out there. It's Microsoft antispyware, which is a very good program. Here's the link
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Drumz1959
09-24-2005, 04:22 AM
internet explorer just sucks, microsoft was the original developer of spyware lol..... I would never make a secure transaction with IE. I've been using the mozilla browser for three years now and will never go back to using explorer. JMHO

DAN D.
09-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Ditto Drumz1959