PDA

View Full Version : Does the racing community have many Camping/ RVing Families?

DAN D.
09-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Just a inquiry about these things called campers, RV'(recreation vehicle)& Trailers that famillies use to spend some quality time with/in? Wondering if The racing community has some within it ? I chose to buy one this summer . as a side note...It does not cost 400-600 per week to put tires on and maintain. !!LOL Also it is my first one and I never went camping before.(boyscouts about 35 years ago, camp wauwepex) LOL Big LOL :confused:

Tracy87BB
09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Dan,
We have been camping for quite a few years now (did a lot more of it this year than we have in the past, now that we don't have the weekly obligation of being at the track...it's been a learning curve and we'll have to find a middle ground between how much camping we do and how much we go to the track, as I suffered some serious racing withdrawal this year).
It has actually come in handy on more than a few occasions when we have actually taken it to the races (for the past few years, we have taken it to Daytona and been able to camp within bike-riding distance from the track...right now we're looking into the possibility of taking it up to Loudon next year).
IMO, a seasonal site is the way to go...but everyone has their own opinion. To me, it is much easier to park it in one place for the season and be able to just grab a bag of clothes and some food on a Friday afternoon to go away for the weekend...kind of like having a weekend house somewhere. It is also a lot easier not having to hook it up and trailer it off the Island every time you want to go away...not to mention the $$$ you save on gas and tolls! You can always change seasonal sites from year to year...right now, we have a seasonal site in Rhinebeck; next year, we're taking a site at a different campground by Fishkill. Some people prefer to stay on the Island (there's always Wildwood, Smiths Point, Greenport, Indian Island, etc.), and some people prefer to go to a lot of different places...it's all a matter of personal choice, I guess.
If you have any plans to be in the Fishkill area, you should check out the campground where we'll be next year...they have an absolutely amazing lake (and I've heard rumor that Chris won't be the only "retired" or "semi-retired" driver from Riverhead there!). I could always email you details about the place.

Jeff T
09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I have been one of them RVer's for the past 16 years. Although many of my trips are on the island, I do like to go a few places off the island each year. One of my favorite places to go is in the Saratoga/Lake George area of NY. I've been up there every summer for 14 of the last 16 years. Lot's of fresh water fishing, Saratoga Horse Racing, Lake George, and of course, an occasional trip to the Albany-Saratoga Raceway in Malta, NY. I usually take the camper up to Springfield, Ma. for "The Big E" New England Fair, and to Williams Grove, Pa. at the end of September for the WoO National Open, but unfortunately, the cost of gas has derailed those plans this year.
Camping on the island is fun, but getting very hard to get reservations for. You need to know where you want to go and what dates you want to go, then try to make reservations 6 months in advance. It's not like it used to be where you could generally pick up a spot for the weekend at most places with little problem (Except Hither Hills in Montauk). It is still possible at times to pick up a last minute spot here on the island, but you need to be right on top of it when they become available. I was lucky enough to pick up a spot at Smith Point recently by checking the internet and finding an open spot due to a cancellation.
I've always wanted to take the trailer to Thompson for the World Series but have been unable to do so because of work, or family commitments. Maybe next year......

Charlie's Angel
09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
We don't have one but we just went with Jimmy D (charger #27) to Dover for the races this weekend. We had a great time. We camp within walking distance from the track. I loved staying in their RV. A lot of fun!

Charlie's Angel
09-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Walt, I completely agree with you. I met some of the nicest people this weekend. A real great bunch of race fans. Even the Dale Jr ones LOL :)
I think it was my lucky Jimmie Johnson earrings and shirt I bought before the race started that helped Jimmie. In fact, I'm still wearing the earrings. I may wear them all week just to keep the streak going for Jimmie! :p

Charlie's Angel
09-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Walt,
Yeah you're right about Jimmy and Roberta. Apparently many people feel the same way as they had quite a few friends there that they had met through the years of going there.

Vinny, Not sure what you are talking about "beating his wife"? But it's ok that you don't like Jimmie or Jeff. No offense taken at all. Besides, what a boring world it would be if we all agreed and liked the same guy. Besides, when I'm not rooting for Jimmie and Jeff, I'm rooting for Bobby Labonte! He is actually my favorite.

DAN D.
09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input on this subject, I know the Columbus Day three day weekend is coming up and I will take off that Monday. I do not have any idea where to go? I have been to Indian Island, Nickerson beach, Cathederal Pines, and Riverdale in Connecticut. I joined the Good Sam club and now I went to the FCRV- family campers and rv'ers and they threw a nice weekend this past Fri, Sat and Sun. @ CathedRAl Pines, YapHank. Friday, dj's and dinner; Sat., kids games, breakfast, and dinner; Sunday, breakfast.. all done nicEly. I met good fun people, I just bought a Winter cover for my camper trailer? Fifth Wheel RV? Whatever?

DAN D.
10-23-2005, 06:23 AM
columbus day weekend I went camping in Cedar Point Park in east hampton.. well let me tell ya I would never know it was Long Island,, , first off it was 8 miles north of montauk highway in East Hampton , I never knew that the south fork was that wide at any point.. I have been all around the Island but this place was out of the norm and a beautiful 600 plus acres that is part of the Suffolk County Park System..Well I went with a fellow camper that I met, down to the beach(gardiners bay directly across from Shelter Island) and he asssured me he has come for ten years and I would not get stuck in the sand(I DID) its about 3/4 miles along the beach to a lighthouse(built in early 1800's) where fishing is great .. Out at the light house was two other trucks,a surburban and expitition. We stared talking to the guys at the trucks and I saw a S Park lic plate , and said that I like Steve Park and I raced at Riverhead last year , he said what division and I told him Chargers and he said Thats the Division I race! we exchanged what car #'s we drove and I never realized that I raced with him on the track that year ..It was The #1 and 11X and I said your not Dave Brigati? and he went ahead and told me who he was ,.. Small World..hu anyhow We all left at the same time.. I let the surburban go first so I can ride in his tracks then I went and the other followed I got stuck BIG TIME.. sand was all over .. could not see control arms, x memebers and all that ,, all the guys and fellow driver got out helped me, let air out of all the tires and got me out.. I enjoyed the rest of the rainy weekend and there again racing community at work. Its smaller than you think this world we live in .... only 18 miles from Montauk (which was a trip we did and then sag harbour next day 4 miles away) great area out there in the BOONEYS..LOL