PDA

View Full Version : Youngster teaches old dog new tricks...

BlingxBling
10-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Kory Rabenold in his brand new #63 machine took on the field of vetrans to claim his first modified victory at Mahoning Valley's 100 lap modified event. The last time MVS ran a 100 lapper dated back to when Rob Snyder Jr had Won his first championship (this is quite a while ago, for those of you who aren't aware). The pits were packed with Modifieds, street stocks, 4 cyl, pro 4 cyl, and Dirt Modified. As the pack of 20 modifieds took the green, Rob Snyder, who started on the pole, jumped to a quick lead. Only a few laps into the contest, Snyder found himself spinning hiMself in turn 2, giving up his pole position. As the flag took back to green, the youngster (who will be 17 on Oct 14) found himself fighting on the outside for the lead. Unfortunately, I do not recall who he was passing, but after two laps, Kory found himself in the lead. A red flag caution had come out as Rick Kirkendall and Chaz (gold #33, unable to remember the spelling of his last name) crashed into the 4th turn wall, demolishing the 4x of Kirkendall, as well as the #33. Kirkendall was returned to his pit stall after a few moments with the medics; Chaz was able to walk away uninjured. The remaining part of the race had a few more minor incidents. As Kory had a coMmanding lead over Rusty Smith, a yellow flag had come out for a spinning Glenn Correll. The green was thrown for one final time, as Rabenold kept it low and stayed on the tHrottle to claim his first ever modified win!! GOOD JOB KORY!

The pro 4cyl race had only 8 cars competing and for the most part went green flag for their 30 lap race. Todd Baer claimed the pro 4cyl event and Josh Shear (spelling?!) had proved to the 2005 4 cyl champion, Mike Garris, that his 03 Mustang had what it takes to win the 4 cyl 30 lap main event. Leading most of the race, lapped traffic played the good guy, as well as the bad guy for Josh. Around the 1/2 way mark, lapped traffic allowed Mike Garris to sneak under and take over the lead. Battling for about 12 laps, Josh finally took over the lead and maintained it for the next 3 laps.

That is all I have as an update. Tomorrow the dirt modifieds will show what its like to run on asphalt. From the warm-up laps they were turning tonight, tomorrow should be a VERY exciting day. Also on schedule are the late models and a street stock event. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Captain History
10-02-2005, 01:21 AM
I'd say the gold Modified #33 driver was Chaz Surman.

BlingxBling
10-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks, I wasn't sure if he even spelled his first name as Chase or Chaz, and the cars go so fast wasn't able to see the name on the car. Again, thank you!

wshultz
10-02-2005, 02:17 AM
I was there too, concrete hurts too. That was a small, but bad, wreck! :applause: :lol: